• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Smallest of the Small

Ginseng

Banned
Gentlemen,

Lately I've become interested in the really small vitolas. By this, I mean for example:

Carolinas, 4.75 x 26rg: HdM and Punch Margaritas, Partagas Ramonitas
Entreactos, 3.875 x 30rg: ERdM and Rafael Gonzalez Demi Tasse, HdM Hoyo du Maire
Laguito No.3, 4.5 x 26rg: Cohiba Panetelas and Montecristo Joyitas
Panetelas, 4.625 x 34rg: Punch and RyJ Panetelas
Placeras, 4.875 x 34rg: Bolivar Tubos No.3
Seoane, 4.875 x 36rg: Cohiba Exquisitos

I've tried several of these but I am interested in experiencing a few more.

What has been your experience with these diminutive, handmade cigars? I know it is quite the culture shock to folks who are accustomed to robustos, piramides and jawbreakers like the Siglo VI, but these little sticks offer a different and fascinating experience. Also, someone who is immensely experienced has recently shared his technique for extracting pleasure from cigars of this geometry and it is unlike any technique that can be successfully used with larger ring cigars.

I look forward to reading about your experiences and preferences.

Wilkey

I've been trying out some of the smaller RG's this year. I'm really surprised that the smaller guages really pack a wallop. I really like the ERdM Panetelas Largas from the 80's. They are more of a long cigarillo than a panetela (6 7/8 x 28) but still have quite a burst of flavor for a smaller RG.

Cohiba Exquisitos and RG PE are my favorites and the only ones I smoke with any regularity. Exquisitos are probably the strongest Cohibas (though I've yet to smoke a Panetelas). They are little zingers and will take your head off if you're not careful. The RG PE is an amazingly complex and flavorful little stick. Great value too.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Craig,
I heartily agree with your comment about the Exquisito being one of, if not the strongest in the Cohiba lineup. I've been smoking these, when budget permits, for several years now and they are one of my favorites. Great power and great concentration of flavors. Definitely a little ass-kicker. Gotta look into that RG. ;)

Indy,
I'm starting to like ERdM more and more. Have you tried the Grandes de Espana? If you like the Panetelas Largas, you might really enjoy this slightly beefier big brother.

I've found young ERdM Demi Tasse to not really be all that accessible of a smoke. It seems paradoxical that such a tiny cigar needs more time than some larger ring gauge brethren to become "good." The Montecristo Joyitas, though, are thoroughly enjoyable with just a little time in humidor. The flavor is so rich and the smoke volume is just massive out of proportion to the size of this bugger. I smoked one and a Mag46 one afternoon and the Joyita blew it away for smoke volume and richness of flavor. And the smell it leaves on your fingers...mmm, like you dipped your hands in dark chocolate and cocoa butter. I'm craving one right now. :D Bolivar Tubos No.3 was just blech. Not bad but not great. I'd go with a BCJ any day.

Wilkey

I've recently picked up a box of Por Larrañaga Panatelas which are actually pretty good. A few have had some tight draw issues, but they have been tasty when the draw was right. And given the price I paid, I'd be inclined to pick up a few more boxes for my daily AM drive to work.

I also smoked a handful of Cohiba Panetales. Very good Cohiba flavors, but way too pricey for the size.

I've smoked a half box of RyJ Belvederes which were just OK. Typical RyJ flavor, but several were plugged.

Most of the smaller RG cigars I've been smoking lately, fall in the Minuto category. They have been much better when compared to the smaller sizes mentioned above. (To name a few: Trini Reyes, ERDM Lunch Club, RASCC, and Partagas shorts)

I've been a fan of the minuto sized smokes for some time. A little bigger than the smokes you mention, but the size is becoming a favorite of mine. Perfect for a weeknight when it's late and I've got to get up early and don't have an hour to devote to a great larger cigar. One of my all time faves is the LaLuna Natural Fuerte "Coladas Finas" which is a 4 x 40. Just an amazing small smoke...I really enjoy them.

I bought some other boxes early this year to try out, and am currently working on:

ERdM "DuDepute"
San Cristobal "El Principe"
Trinidad "Reyes"
...and, of course the Partagas "Short"

Hard to pick a favorite; there are all unique in their flavor profile. The research continues.... :p However, when time is short, these are hard to beat.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Chris,
I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm with you and BBS regarding the Minutos. They seem only a little larger but are in fact a totally different beast from the "ultra-smalls" like the Demi Tasse and Joyitas. CO Panetelas, same boat + the cost issue. Been thinking about the PL Panetelas so perhaps it'll go on the list now.

BBS,
I don't see the Ramon Allones Small Club Corona or Bolivar Coronas Junior on your list. Any thoughts on those? Personally, I really enjoy them both.

Wilkey

BBS,
I don't see the Ramon Allones Small Club Corona or Bolivar Coronas Junior on your list. Any thoughts on those? Personally, I really enjoy them both.

Wilkey
...haven't tried them, but they just made my list.... :thumbs: Always on the lookout for a new favorite.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Sorry Wilkey but I don't like anything under 40.

Yer on your own! :laugh:

I find you get diminishing returns when you buy smaller sizes so I don't buy them often. Other small cigars {not on your list} that I've enjoyed are RA Bits of Havana, Petit Upmann and Party chicos.

You have to baby them so they don't burn hot and for some reason they're not always as easy to find as larger cigars. I usually stick to minutos +/- for smaller cigars (RASCC, Boli CJ, Divinos, Shorts and El Principe).

Wilkey, what is this secret pleasure extracting technique???

Try the RyJ Belvederes, 5" x 39rg ... it's like a petit lanc... and $40 a box in Varadero! My personal favorite.

I generally never smoke small cigars that are listed above. I have the time to make tres petites my smallest cigars.

I did however buy my wife a cab of 50 Rafael Gonzalez Cigarittos from 00 and they are awesome. They are not cheap( 154.00 on sale) but for a quick smoke they are damned tasty.

Wilkey, what is this secret pleasure extracting technique???

Thanks for sharing, Wilkey. When I read the above question, I was afraid you were going to say it involved the prostate gland, and holding your breath as long as possible... :D

Sorry but in all my years of smoking every sized cigar there is, I have never altered my smoking style to accomodate a certain sized cigar.

I smoke every size the same and have never found it necessary to alter my style. I take the smoke in my mouth, I exhale most through my nose and repeat. I never have to think about when I take the next hit, I naturally smoke at a pace that never hot boxes the cigar or smoke so slowly that the cigar goes out.

CC you stated above that you never smoke cigars that are smaller than a 40 ring gauge. If that is true you are missing out on some fantastic cigars.

Here is a list of 40 and below that I think you will really enjoy.

Partagas Serie Du Connoisseur 1, 2 or 3 (36 ring). I buy only the ones because bang for the buck they are the best value but I have smoked all three and enjoy them all.

Cohiba Lancero ( 38 ring)

Monte Especial 1 or 2 ( 38 ring)

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'OR 1 ( 36 ring)

Quai D'Orsay Panatela ( 33 ring)

Cohiba Corona Especials ( 38 ring)

All of these cigars( except the Part Conn 2&3 and Monte Especiale 2) are in my regular rotation and are among my favorite cigars.

Elliot,
Ahhh, tantric sex. About the only way I'm going to experience a three-hour long orgasm is by smoking a Cuban Prominentes. :D

Harris,
The resolution to the seeming contradiction between what I've been told and your personal experience is right in your own post. On the one hand "I have never consciously altered my smoking style to accomodate a certain sized cigar" and on the other, "I naturally smoke at a pace that never hot boxes the cigar or smoke so slowly that the cigar goes out."

I added the italicized word "consciously."

Simply, you have achieved what we in education refer to as automaticity. Through experience and practice, what was once a subject for conscious attention has become something that you can do almost as matter of instinct. The management of this process has become automatic in the same sense that I no longer think about shifting gears when I drive.

For those who are still developing their skills, mindful, attentive and conscious practice is essential for establishing automatic skills. And once we have established these automatic skills, the trick then is how to make this explicit so a novice can understand it.

Wilkey

Not that small but I like the Cuaba Divinos (small little power houses, chochlate flavours) and the Por Laranagga Montecarlos......my 2 cents worth

Ginseng, excellent post. You must be a teacher or something because you explained what I was trying to say so succinctly.

I guess I have been at this so long that I forget what it is like to have to think about something as simple( to me ) as smoking technique.

Ginseng, excellent post. You must be a teacher or something because you explained what I was trying to say so succinctly.

I guess I have been at this so long that I forget what it is like to have to think about something as simple( to me ) as smoking technique.

:thumbs:

Wilkey

Seriously, you should consider changing your screen name from Ginseng to The Professor! :D