• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The State of College Football

I agree Dixie, how many different people would we have to pay to make it "fair", it never would be enough. Even if UofM was making 2Billion, which is highly unlikely otherwise they would be investigated worse than Enron for where this money goes, it wouldn't be enough to pay every player and every associated person.

And for the 2 billion, UT, A&M, OU, these are some of the biggest football schools out there, with the best in facilities, and they aren't but around 100 million and that's probably overestimating their budgets. If they were making that much, how come they don't have a new stadium every 5 years, and where is the money going, that's way too much money for a college athletic department to hide. :)

Do I have to dig through back issues of Business Week and scan the article to prove the $2 billion in revenue reported? Geeesh....it's an accurate figure. Deal with it. I imagine it takes into consideration many different facets. The article didn't get that detailed, just mentioned the number....the same way as I've presented it here. :lookup: Keep in mind this is a "gross annual" figure and not the amount the University pockets. Just what the program generates on a broad scale annually.

It's not my fault that every team isn't as nationally popular has UofM. most programs are nothing more than a local wonder....don't be a hater because you like a down home "hillbilly" team.. :p LMAO

coventrycat86 said:
I disagree with Matt's assessment that big-time college sports keep tuition costs down.  The greedy athletic departments keep ALL that money to themselves and do not share it with the universities in general therefore sucess (or failure) of college sports program has no effect on tuition costs for the students.
You're right CC. The Athletic Dept at UofM is financially independent of the U. Last report I read said that they actually only add cash TO the general fund by way of paying tuition for all the athletes.

As an Ann Arbor native, there is nothing quite like football Saturdays in A2. :love:

As much as the increase for UofM season ticket holders stings , there are plenty of people willing to pay the $$$ to be there every week. It all comes down to how much are you willing to pay to be part of the tradition?

Thats it guys. I think it's time we all took a stand against this obvious abuse of loyal fans.
The only way that they will learn to respect the fans is if the season ticket holders refuse to attend the games.

In a sign of deep sacrifice to this fine group of brothers, I am volunteering to collect all of the season tickets from all of the brothers here, and uh....dispose of them in the proper fashion (hellooooo stubhub.com) I will also contact the Athletic Directors of all the schools and advise them of our position!

Only by this show of unity will they understand that we are not patsies that will just continue to pay outrageous amounts of money just to party with our frat brothers, drink buttloads of beer, and offer burnt meat products to the gods of tailgating. :D

Note to self: If I play my cards right, I can sell off the season tickets that I dont want to use....and defray the cost of season tickets for the Mighty Michigan Wolverines for NEXT YEAR, when their schedule will be more worthy of my hard earned dollars!

Getting back to Jeff's original post, I agree that it's awfully costly BUT in the long run, it's a matter of priorities with your money.

For instance in my world of cars, show cars, restoration, etc., it's a hobby and something that is EXPENSIVE but what I and others in the hobby like to spend out money on. Yep, we spend ridiculous amounts of money on our cars but we enjoy it (well at least I do for now :p ) There are times when I wanna strangle some of the suppliers for the crazy money they charge for hard to get parts, etc. but it's part of the game and there have been those time where I question "Is it REALLY worth it?"

I for one think that the outrageous prices they charge for season tickets to big-time college sport functions is out of hand but those who pony up the money enjoy going to all those games.

BUT I will admit, I get bitten by the college football bug at times and was THIS CLOSE to making the 13+ hours drive out to Ann Arbor for the OSU game last year and I'm STILL kicking my self for not making the trip :( :( :(

The weather was perfect and the Shinny Nuts WENT DOWN :p :sign: and I would have loved to have been part of the 112,000+ record setting crowd that day. I wouldn't have minded spending big $$$ for tickets but gee, for some reason they were really hard to get for that game. Anyone know why ??? :sign:

Oh man, what a topic. I just thought about this today. :angry: I'm sitting at a bar in Lincoln and I can't watch the Husker game because it's not carried by the local station. What do I get instead? I have the Oregon State-LSU game. No offense to you folks from Corvallis or who are rajun cajuns, but if you are in the same city as a major football powerhouse, you should be able to see the damn game! Just my two cents.