• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Time I Almost Died

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Friday morning

I woke up at 8:30, my heart was racing. I wasn’t in any pain, I wasn’t short of breathe, so I thought I was fine. I waited around for three hours, but my chest was still pounding. I sat down on my exercise bike and used the pulse reader. It showed my resting pulse rate at 170, so I freaked out! I called an ambulance and they took my pulse, it was at 190. They loaded me in the back of the Ambulance and took me 30 miles to South Austin Hospital.

They strapped shock pads to my chest, about 40 leads to the EKG and heart monitor. The ER doctors gave me five doses of a medicine to lower my heart rate, but none of them took. My pulse ranged from 170 to 190 for five hours. They were preparing to stop my heart with a chemical or reset it by shocking it back into rhythm.

My buddy AJ took this picture right after the doctor told me this.

TheTimeIalmostdied.jpg

But they didn’t have to do this because the medicine began to work. My rhythm stabilized back to normal, and they took me to observation.

That night

Nurses took my blood every 2 hours, so there was no sleep. The medicine they gave me to slow my heart worked too well, and my pulse dropped into the low 40s for most of the night. It only stabilized this morning. They said my heart racing was atrial fibrillation caused by some unknown stress event that occurred during my sleep.

They let me out a few hours ago. I’ve got to cut back on smoking and modify my diet and reduce all level of stress in my life just to figure out what triggered this attack, because they still don't know.

Holy crap, Marc! I wish you the best and hope they find out what caused this so you can make the proper adjustments.

Keep your head up!

:)

Whoa, scary stuff! Hope you find out what it was and it never happens again. Take care of yaself man!

Damn bro... It looks like someone dumped a pot of spaghetti on you!

Seriously, glad you're below the redline now, that sounds like it could have been very bad indeed

Whoa jeez, I'm glad you're ok. That's serious stuff!

Wow! Glad your ok! Reduce that stress for sure!

Holy shit!...That woulda scared the crap out of me. Glad you are OK man.

Stay strong brother! Spend more time relaxing at the water with a cigar!

Glad to hear you're a survivor!

That is scary stuff Marc, I hope you figure out what happened soon...

Thank God you are alright. Thats enough to scare the hell out of anyone. Time to go on the straight and narrow till you find out the cause. Good luck.

Bob

Holy chit! Glad to hear you're ok man. My heart rate is up just reading your post! It's true.... stress kills! Hopefully the diet and lifestyle changes get you right where you need to be.

Yikes! That is scary.

I'm glad to hear that you're stabilized. Amazing how powerfully and yet unpredictably some medications work.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. As for stress, I hear you on that one.

Wilkey

Damn MT! That's some crazy stuff. I'm glad to hear that you're ok. I hope they find out what the cause is and wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself bro.

Wow, that's scary stuff.
I'm glad you are OK now.

You really do need to reduce what ever is causing the stress in your life.
Eating right and exercising won't hurt either.

Good luck

Damn glad you're fine, hope everyhing will be o.k. You should check to see if yo have Sleep Apnea, my doctor said there is an epidemic in the U.S. The symptom sound the same as SA.

You take care of yourself there young fella.
I will have a beer and a cigar for you today.