• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Tossers

Thanks for the tip Kilted on the Wicked Tinkers. :thumbs: This is how it usually works, someone says "Okay, if you like ______ then you gotta check out ______" which is how I found out about the Tossers in the first place. :D

Speaking of the Tossers, on St. Patrick's Day, the Tossers played a show at the Turner Ballroom in downtown Milwaukee. On Friday, March 14th, smokelaw1 and I went to see the Dropkick Murphys play at the IBEW Union Hall (I was one lucky SOB to score two tickets to that show) which is a very small, intimate venue and it incredible! On Saturday, March 15th, I saw their afternoon show in Lowell, MA at the Tsongas Arena which was also an incredible show.

So anyway, on Monday my sweetie and I jumped on a plane to Milwaukee, met up with ggiese and his son (neither of which I had ever actually met before in person) and we took in the Tossers' St. Patrick's Day show. :thumbs: This was by far and away the best Tossers show I've ever seen. They played for almost two hours, the venue was by far the nicest place I've ever seen them play in and we had a blast! George and I traded cigars that night and the next morning we flew home.

George was kind enough to give us a ride to and from the show making time to meet up with me even though it was over an hour and a half from his home on a work night! :0

Somewhere I have the set list so when I find it, I'll post it.

It was a very memorable St. Patrick's Day, one I will never forget, spending it with the Tossers in their home area and finally getting to meet George. :)

The Tossers were the main act at an Irish Festival on Friday, September 20th at the Altamont Fair Grounds near Albany, NY so I made the trip out to see the show. They played a nice 16 song set including three new songs from their upcoming new CD which will be out on October 28th. It's an acoustic CD with some new songs and some old favorites like "Rocky Road to Dublin."

The show was AWESOME, the band gave me a backstage pass so I got to hang out with them for quite a while before and after the show.

They'll be holding a CD release party in Chicago at the end of October and I'd love to be able to make it out to Chicagoland for that! :thumbs:

Looks like I forgot to post in this thread that I also saw them on Saturday, May 25th this year also near Albany New York. It was the day after my birthday and they sang "Happy Birthday" to me which was very cool. :) They were also kind enough to play one of my favorites, "Nantucket Girl's Song" which they seldom do these days but they know it's one of my favorites so they slid it in the set list for me.

The Tossers are by far my favorite band ever. :thumbs:

If you've never seen them before, you GOTTA check them out!

So, who's going to The Tossers CD release party on December 12th in Chicago?

Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel in Glenview, IL getting ready for the big show on Friday. ggiese is supposed to accompany me to the show.

Anyone else up for it? ???

So, who's going to The Tossers CD release party on December 12th in Chicago?

Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel in Glenview, IL getting ready for the big show on Friday. ggiese is supposed to accompany me to the show.

Anyone else up for it? ???

I'd join you Bill but I have to be here at West Point for the morning's Adverse Weather Condition Conference Call which is scheduled for 0400........ :D :thumbs: :p

I wish you would have reminded me earlier....my wife made plans to go shopping tomorrow so I've got the kids all night. :(

These guys are pretty good Bill, I'm checking them out on youtube right now. Are you gonna hang out with them again at the show Friday?

I'd love to see The Tossers live. I've got tickets for DKM in February and H2O and Civet are the openers; wish it was The Tossers.

The Tossers, tonight at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ.

Who's joining me for the show? :D

The Tossers are the main act and they're starting around 11:00pm. I'm on my way there now.

I guess no one likes me..... :( I was there all by myself and none of you NJ/NY guys showed up to see the Tossers and smoke cigars with me.

The show was fantastic as usual. The Tossers started around 11:30 and played until 1:15. Maxwell's is a fairly small club and it was packed pretty full for the show. Steven's Tech is right around the corner so there was a good representation of the young crowd at the show. They played five songs off of their new CD. Here's the set list (with the CD title in parentheses where you can find the song) :

1. Sheep In Boots (Agony)
2. Never Enough (Agony)
3. Katie At The Races (On A Fine Spring Evening)
4. Aye Sir (Communication and Conviction)
5. Teehan’s (On A Fine Spring Evening)
6. The Unfamous Paula Spencer (On A Fine Spring Evening)
7. Siobban (Agony)
8. The Rocky Road To Dublin (On A Fine Spring Evening)
9. Whiskey Makes Me Crazy (On A Fine Spring Evening)
10. St. Stephen’s Day (On A Fine Spring Evening)
11. Where Ya Been Johnny? (Agony)
12. No Loot, No Booze, No Fun (The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death)
13. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown (New Jim Croce cover)
14. Fly Me To The Moon (New Frank Sinatra cover)
15. Dicey Riley (First League Out From Land)
16. Buckets of Beer (Communication and Conviction)
17. Drinking In The Day (The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death)
18. Wild Rover (Traditional)
19. Faraway (Purgatory)
20. Romany (Agony)
21. Ciara (Long Dim Road)
22. Holy Ground (Gloatin’ and Showboatin’)
23. When You Get Here (Communication and Conviction)
24. Preab San Ol (The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death)
25. The Pub (Long Dim Road)

What I've always loved about the Tossers is every show is different. The set list they write up ahead of time is more of a loose guide rather than a predetermined, regimented show. For instance, about 2/3rds of the way through the show, when they finished with Drinking in the Day, they could hear a buncha drunks in the back singing the traditional Irish tune "Wild Rover" which the Dropkick Murphys almost always play at their shows lately. So the Tossers give each other a quick glance and start playing "Wild Rover" which I've never heard them play before. :laugh: It sounded fantastic. :thumbs:

I spent some time talking with the band members before and after the show. They told me they just recorded two new songs in the studio, the old Jim Croce big hit "Bad, bad Leroy Brown" and "Fly Me to the Moon" which was probably made most famous by Frank Sinatra. These will probably be part of a compilation CD that's being organized in Chicago where many Chicago bands will contribute a song or two. They played both of these at the show and when they did the Sinatra number, the crowd went nuts because Ole Blue Eyes was originally from Hoboken. :D

I've spent a better part of the last four years going to many shows with bands from the Irish/Celtic/Punk genre and there is no doubt in my mind that the Tossers are by far the most talented, diverse and best sounding group in the bunch (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs, etc.). They've actually been around longer that Flogging Molly and DKM and I've never been able to understand why they don't seem to be as "big" as some of the others. From my own selfish standpoint, that's an advantage for me because I can see them up front and personal at a small venue which is pretty much impossible these days with DKM and Flogging Molly.

Many times these musicians let the fame and glory go to their heads or they're just plain weird. What I admire and respect most about the Tossers is this is not the case at all with them. They are down the earth, gracious, sincere and just plain nice people who are a pleasure to be around. :thumbs:

The current tour is only for about two weeks. They were supposed to do Boston this weekend but it fell through. :( Here's the tour schedule:

Mar 5 2009 9:00P Grog Shop Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Mar 6 2009 10:30P Maxwell’s Hoboken, New Jersey
Mar 7 2009 7:00P Mercury Lounge New York City, New York
Mar 8 2009 8:00P The Rock and Roll Hotel Washington, Washington DC
Mar 10 2009 8:00P Club Cafe Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Mar 11 2009 8:00P Pike Room Pontiac, Michigan
Mar 12 2009 8:00P Highdive Champaign, Illinois
Mar 13 2009 8:00P Chubby Rain Rockford, Illinois
Mar 14 2009 8:00P Metro Chicago, Illinois
Mar 17 2009 7:00P Turner Hall Ballroom Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Last year, I went to their St. Patrick's Day show at the Turner Ballroom in Milwaukee. I wish I had the time and the $$$ to do it again this year but I'm going to have to miss the show. ggiese claims he's going again (he went with me last year). If you're from that area and you can make the time to attend the show, you won't be disappointed. :thumbs:

I didn't get a chance to ask them about specific future tour plans but based on my conversations with them, I think we'll see them on the road again sometime this year.

Going to see Street Dogs in a couple of weeks. I may have to trip over to Champaign next week and see The Tossers.

Going to see Street Dogs in a couple of weeks. I may have to trip over to Champaign next week and see The Tossers.

:thumbs:

I'm going to see the Street Dogs in Providence on Wednesday and DKM in Hartford with smokelaw1 today!

Yes Matt, you have to see the Tossers on Thursday. :)