• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The trend towards larger cigars

And, of course, Moontrance isn't offered in a large ring size. :whistling:
Steve,

I feel I must correct you on this. Moonie comes in a 6.25 x 50 rg but it's a torpedo, thus tapered. Were it a straight-sided parejo, I might not like it as much as I do. :D

Wilkey

Not sure about the trend (not as knowledgeable as some of you guys) but I definately can say I've gained a real appreciation for smaller sticks. I smoked a Padron 1926 No. 35 the other morning with a cup of coffee and it was a perfect short smoke.

Also, I can't fit +50 gauges into my cutter and that annoys the hell out of me.

about 50 is my preferred gauge though.

Does anyone else get peeved when new cigars, or new lines/brands of cigars come out and only larger sizes are offered?

I've seen so many new brands come out lately with nothing under a 50 ring... Have cigar smokers just shifted away from the smaller ring gauge stuff (32-42) or is this a push by manufacturers?

I really enjoy smoking a nice Ninfa, or a RyJ sport lagos, or a nice Perla. Not long ago the petit corona was such a popular size.

I'd would appreciate hearing your comments. Cheers! :)

Simple economics my friend. The majority of a cigars cost is in the manufacturing and shipping process. A PC and a 6x60 cost just about the same price to make. When you look at the end sale price it's about a 250% difference. Which would you rather sell as a manufacturer?

Does anyone else get peeved when new cigars, or new lines/brands of cigars come out and only larger sizes are offered?

I've seen so many new brands come out lately with nothing under a 50 ring... Have cigar smokers just shifted away from the smaller ring gauge stuff (32-42) or is this a push by manufacturers?

I really enjoy smoking a nice Ninfa, or a RyJ sport lagos, or a nice Perla. Not long ago the petit corona was such a popular size.

I'd would appreciate hearing your comments. Cheers! :)

Simple economics my friend. The majority of a cigars cost is in the manufacturing and shipping process. A PC and a 6x60 cost just about the same price to make. When you look at the end sale price it's about a 250% difference. Which would you rather sell as a manufacturer?

I agree Al. Most rollers are paid by the piece. The cost is not much more/less to make a larger cigar or a smaller cigar.

The majority of a cigars cost is in the manufacturing and shipping process. A PC and a 6x60 cost just about the same price to make. When you look at the end sale price it's about a 250% difference. Which would you rather sell as a manufacturer?

I agree Al. Most rollers are paid by the piece. The cost is not much more/less to make a larger cigar or a smaller cigar.
So would a reasonable conclusion to draw from this be that the labor costs far outweigh the materials cost? I wonder because a fat churchill has roughly twice the weight of tobacco that a petit coronas contains.

Wilkey

I have to disagree, you seem to be saying that the larger sizes are being driven by the manufactures and not the consumer. If it is the makers what took them 100+ years to figure this out? The consumer drives the engine, the makers provide what tthe consumer wants or end up not making anything anymore.

The majority of a cigars cost is in the manufacturing and shipping process. A PC and a 6x60 cost just about the same price to make. When you look at the end sale price it's about a 250% difference. Which would you rather sell as a manufacturer?

So would a reasonable conclusion to draw from this be that the labor costs far outweigh the materials cost? I wonder because a fat churchill has roughly twice the weight of tobacco that a petit coronas contains.

Wilkey

Wilkey, the answer is yes. The tobacco itself costs very little, filler being a couple of dollars a kilo and wrapper being much more expensive. I believe around $6 or $7 a pound. So the difference in tobacco cost from a PC to a Churchill would be around 10 cents or so.

Ahhh, I see. So in effect, it is always more profitable to sell larger sticks because the gap between their price and the cost of manufacture is greater than for smaller cigars.

Wilkey

Ahhh, I see. So in effect, it is always more profitable to sell larger sticks because the gap between their price and the cost of manufacture is greater than for smaller cigars.

Wilkey

Correct! :thumbs: