• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking about ordering a 100% custom humidor

dagoR6

So, I've been thinking about ordering a completely custom humidor from some one, but am not sure where to even start now that Arlin Liss has called it quits. I have an Avallo which I really love but I made the mistake of ordering it without cooling (which really sucks) and it has a tendency to really stratify which causes cigars in the middle top to suddenly explode for no reason.

Rather than putting a lot of work into this one, I've decided that I what I really want is a coffee table looking thing that is a humidor. I'm thinking some sort of say 3 foot by 4 foot at around 3 feet high. Top is half glass and some sort of rustic wood. You can lift the glass to get at the singles drawers and then the thing has sealed side drawers you can pull out that hold boxes.

My thinking in general is to get a humidor that's not very tall would enable me to put the water in from below and then use fans to blow it up, get rid of the real stratification problem, cool it from the sides and then keep the expensive sticks in there and the new sticks in the old Avallo, where I can beetle isolate etc... for a few months first.

Anybody have any thoughts on the process? I'm definitely thinking I'll use a professional but don't even know where to start.

Or you can go for an Aristocrat.

The Vigilants Gary posted about look nice. I don't know about much about them, but their prices seem a bit higher than for a comparably sized Aristocrat.

The Vigilants Gary posted about look nice. I don't know about much about them, but their prices seem a bit higher than for a comparably sized Aristocrat.

Agreed! You could also PM Humidor Minister (Bill). He seems to craft some very good stuff.

Jim

It depends on how it's made...especially a custom.

I'd ask both to share how the systems are set up - materials wise.

It depends on how it's made...especially a custom.

I'd ask both to share how the systems are set up - materials wise.

Good point! The materials and electronics in Bob's seem to be tride and true, though as with everything I have read they appear to have problems on occasion. Humidor Minister's cabinets are not tested though I do believe he is using the cooling and humidification systems from Bob (aristrocrat). I like my aristrocrat, but I am getting to the point I may need another and will have Bill build my next cooled cabinet. Damn I have too many friggin cigars!!

Jim

...I am getting to the point I may need another...
Jim

You and me both! I'm holding out for when I can do a walk-in though. I'll be friggin' pissed if I buy another Aristocrat and fill it up too!

I think that the way those guys traditionally do it is to take their sort of standard humidor design and then just encase it in whatever you'd like them to build. This idea's shape seems so odd I think it'd be quite different.

"Humidor Minister's cabinets are not tested though I do believe he is using the cooling and humidification systems from Bob (aristrocrat). "

I was approached by Bill-Humidor Minister to provide humidification & cooling systems, but declined. I did seriously consider providing one, but my decision to not do so was not personal. It has been my policy for some time to not provide the cooled electronics to other humidor makers. I had a couple of bad experiences with builders who didn't understand the physics & design involved & when they had a poor result, it was of course my electronics that were the problem..... I did point Bill in the right direction for some resources on proper insulation. I am sure he will do fine.

cheers,
Bob Staebell

....that guy named Bob that posted right above me built me a custom cabinet and I couldn't be happier.

It's very close to one of his "standard" models, but every dimension was custom to fit an existing space I had to put it in:

Humi_04.jpg

The coolers work fantastically and do just what Bob said they'd do. The humidifier is spot on. When the forced air comes on and the RH in the house drops like a rock, mine holds 65% on the nose. When the pelts run hard in the summer, the RH creeps up a bit but such is the dilemma of a cooled cabinet. Anyone with a cooled cabinet can relate to this happening.

But, overall, I could not be happier with my investment. Were I to look for something again, custom or not, Bob would be on the top of the list.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

I'm another happy customer of Bob's. Top notch service and communication. Bob was very patient when trying to match the cabinet stain to the rest of my office furniture. It gives me great piece of mind to know that my cigars are resting comfortably in a temp/humidity controlled environment - especially during these hot/humid summers.

dagoR6, I am Ron from Cigar Solutions. Avallo offers many options on fans and fan timers to solve any problems with uneven humidity. Most of our customers are usually happy with the fan system that is provided. I am not afraid to say that occasionally a customer might need a little more help. Call me at 1-866-679-9926. I know that we can solve your problem. Thanks, Ron.

dagoR6, I am Ron from Cigar Solutions. Avallo offers many options on fans and fan timers to solve any problems with uneven humidity. Most of our customers are usually happy with the fan system that is provided. I am not afraid to say that occasionally a customer might need a little more help. Call me at 1-866-679-9926. I know that we can solve your problem. Thanks, Ron.

Let me clear up a bit of confusion here. My Avallo is great and I'm not discarding it because it's stratifying, I'm just ready for another humidor as an expansion or possibly replacement (depending on capacity) and want one of the 100% custom pieces. Which is not Avallo's line of business.

I think the humidor tends to stratify due to lack of proper circulation, something I can probably solve with another couple of water bottles and fans, I'll take some pictures tonight.

I wanted to 'come back from the dead' and add my two cents worth.....

I was contacted. I googled 'Coffee Table Humidors' and sent a link showing the +/-$400 - $600 ones on the market.

In reading this thread I now see 'temperature control' is also wanted.

The 'wish list' for the design with a large glass top, precise and balanced humidity and cooling capacity can be made but not inexpensively.

The design concept is challenging. Several points need considering
1. Thermoelectric cooling gives off heat and might not be comfortable to sit around
2. Balancing Humidity is achieved by having a 'loop' flow unrestricted around the'mass/bulk' of cigars stored in the cabinet,and insuring the loop has sufficient 'drive propulsion' to do its job

It can be built but the cost of doing Humidors like this is very high, and folks usually compromise and settle due to the expense.

Best of luck in your quest, and feel free to contact me to chat.

Completly of topic: those aristocrats look mighty fine to me!

But I think getting one to Holland will not be cheap :(

On Topic: Good luck , and sone pictures please of the new humi!

Rene

I am so glad dagoR6 started this as I am considering a cabinet humidor for later this year. Good stuff.

John

I wanted to 'come back from the dead' and add my two cents worth.....

Arlin, I hope you post more often. Your experience is extensive and valuable. I always read and consider your posts.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

We've had three of the major players in the large humidor game weigh in here. If Humidor Minister puts in his .02, we'll be complete. Good stuff, and thanks for posting Ron, Arlin and Bob!