• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking about ordering a 100% custom humidor

Sorry I'm late to the thread. I was in Illinois at the Woodworkers in America Conference last week and I had to catch up on some things. I would very much like to thank Bob for all the information he shared with me. I can only say good things about the Aristocrat humidors. They are very well built with tremendous detail and quality of materials. I enjoyed our long conversation. It was very enlightening. I've been doing a lot of research on cooling and insulation that will work most efficiently. I have not built a cooled system as of yet but I can assure you, the materials I use will be top notch and studied thoroughly before put in use. Any way you look at it, you can be sure that with the information you get here on CP, you will be very informed before you make your purchase. Good people here with a lot of knowledge.

So, I've been MIA for the past month with work. One of those times where you spend all month practically on the road and can't think straight! Apologies to all those who've PM'd me, I'll be responding shortly.

I finally got my camera recharged and time to take/upload a few pictures. The humidor's great of course, but I seem to have stacked it pretty high so that there's not a ton of airflow. On top of that the fan's are flush against the back wall, so the only way to circulate humidity "up" would be with the two fans on the bottom canisters. RonC sent me a couple of new fans and a timer so I'll be giving that a swing. Here's some pic's!

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

I love your humidor Seth.... :drools: Good God...!!!

It looks like some sort of rummage sale in a back-alley in marrakech right now!

Seth that is one hell of a collection you got going there. Beautiful...just beautiful :thumbs:

Hey Seth, you think you can take a picture of the front with everything closed up? Would like to see what that bad boy looks like.

Thanks!

It looks like some sort of rummage sale in a back-alley in marrakech right now!

This much is true, however, if you need a place for overstock, I'm your huckleberry. Forget that Mateo fellow, he said it was cool from now on. :p

It's bad enough you build some of the finest humidors going, then you win the wood turning, now you make us drool all over ourselves. You arn't good, you are MEAN :p

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :D

What's that ceramic jar on the bottom?

It is the urn, where he keeps the dearly departed ashes of his favorite habanos!

That's classic! I should get an empty one and fill it with all sorts of cigar nubs and see if I can convince someone that stops by that I'm saving it for a "giant re-roll someday" Now that'd be a reputation.

In all seriousness though. I think the box positioning is a large part of the airflow issue. I don't think you can bring enough air up from the bottom to the top and get even levels of humidity. If you put a hygrometer on the top/middle/bottom you get three different results. And if you put it left/right on any one shelf you get completely different results. The spread in the humidor at any one time is probably 10% RH. Which is pretty bad.

The key is to probably more precisely arrange the boxes for airflow and then increase the fan effect. Ronc sent me a kit I'll try out.

But I'm still pretty firmly in the camp of building a custom humidor that's like a coffee table, wide but also just dual level and air driven from the sides. I think the stratifying must occur in any tall humidor with bottom mount humidity. Although I'd love to hear some experience stories from people with similar setups.

I have a cooled triple D cabinet from Matt.

There is always a 1 to 3 percent discrepancy in humidity between the top where the drawer is and the next to bottom shelve. Yes I agree that how you stack or arrange boxes and trays have a great deal to do with circulation. I do keep half a pound of beads on each shelves of the cabinet. The cabinet has four canisters two on the bottom and two mid ways up.

Next humidor will be a walk in when we next move. I would love to have a small humidor built by Arlin once I get my walk in. Oh by the way I heard that he will be building humidors again.

Wow! I am not worthy!!!!! :love: My fiance would kill me if I had a collection like that... :blush:

Very beautiful cabinet, I like the color of the wood, very rich looking.

How long have you been collecting those Habanos books and jars because those are quite the investment?