• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of getting a motorcycle..

smokintexas

What have I gotton myself into?!
Well, with the recent troubles my truck has been giving me I've argued with myself day and night about what to do. As of now I am about 70% sure that I want to get a motorcycle and hang on to the truck in hopes that one day I can afford to fix it up. Unfortunately as of now my budget is only about 2-3000 for a motorcycle (even that will take me a while to save up to) and it looks like it's pretty slim pickens for bikes in that price range. I've done enough research to realize that 92% of all motorcycle wrecks are with riders that either taught themselves or learned from a relative (so I'm definitely going to go to one of those 2-3 day programs) and to know that anything above 600cc is a bad idea for me as of now. I don't know the different classifications of bikes but I do know that I don't want a sport bike. I would love to have a Harley but they are out of my price range and I am unsure if I would truly appreciate a Harley right off the bat.

So what kind of advice do you have for a potential first time rider? I'm looking for any and all advice ranging from what bikes to look at----tips for riding.

Thanks in advance and I hope to get on a bike soon!

Best tip is go to a riding class no matter what kind of experience you have... then go to the advanced class after that.. There is a program at the local university here.

Pretty much the 600cc deal goes mostly for sportbikes. Sportbikes are built for racing generally and a 600cc sportbike can usually break 75mph in first gear pretty easily...

I'd look at the Honda Shadow's and Yamaha V-Star's if you're looking for an inexpensive cruiser... should be able to find one of those in a 650ish cc for about $3000 fairly easy...

Always wear a helmet and protective clothing. Road Rash hurts - BAD!

Ummm.... don't know much else... I used to ride a sportbike for about 6 years... had a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11 and a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R... both stupidly fast bikes....

wouldn't break but really funny going down the street :laugh: they are just like fat women you dont mind riding them just dont let your friends see you on it :whistling:

wouldn't break but really funny going down the street :laugh: they are just like fat women you dont mind riding them just dont let your friends see you on it :whistling:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't be so fast to bail out on 600+ bikes. You'll find that 650 is actually a comfortable size, although it may not necessarily seem like it at first. 750 isn't unreasonable, depending on how it's balanced. Go to a cruise or a bike showroom and sit on a few (with a friend around) and you'll probably see what I mean. Lean it slowly back and forth (remember when I said to have a friend around...? Now's a good time). If the salesperson comes around to bother you, just send them away. You don't need them for this. If you ever have any plans of going freeway speed...Now's the time to make the decision. My smallest bike is a 550 and it's okay on the freeway. Go smaller and you may not realize how much you regret it until either you ride a bigger bike or your butt chafes off.

I would recommend getting a classic standard (or a cruiser if you like but I'd recommend a standard for your first because of the dynamics of the rake angle and center of gravity) in the 600-650 range for your first ride (no, I'm not kidding). Four's are nice and smooth, whereas twins which sound beefy and have lots of torque might make you a little uncomfortable at first. Don't be afraid of one that's from the 70's or 80's. As long as the miles aren't sky high, you'll probably get a good deal that'll be with you for years. Just be sure to grab a shop manual and a set of tools while you're out shopping for your riding gear (and I won't harp on it but don't skimp on the protective gear, seriously...)

Don't be afraid to get a bike that isn't in the greatest shape. Chances are you're going to dump it at some point. I've done it and almost every rider I've talked to who has riden seriously for any length of time has stories to tell...whether it's because you were careless with the kickstand or because you paniced in a situation. Keeping your cool isn't a personality trait so much as a learned skill.

Definitely sign up for an MSF course, but do it now as most places they're booked weeks or months. They'll put you on an old beater bike...most likely a Rebel in the 150 range...and move you along pretty quickly but it's a solid course, no doubt about it.

Once you've done that, you're going to want to spend time with whatever bike you bought...serious time. Find quiet roads and ride. Find riders and ride with them, and listen to everything they say even if it sounds condescending. Any serious rider is going to more than happy to talk your ear off, give you a load of advise and want to show you their special, super secret rides and hidden roads. They'll hear and see what you are and aren't doing wrong.

Don't get discouraged or let it scare you. When I started riding, it was months before I felt like I really confidently bonded with my bike and could deal with *just about* anything that came my way. It was probably a year or three before I felt like it was really a part of me and it was strange to not be on it.

You'll want to work on it yourself. It's good experience and you'll be more in touch with what the bike is telling you. Really, a complete novice (with the help of the right tools and a good manual) can pull, completely disassemble and rebuild an engine in a weekend (just be sure you buy lots of snack bags and sharpies. You'll be in a world of emotional hurt later when you realize the obvious in that putting all small parts in a single coffee tin was a bad idea. ;) )

edit: Don't forget to also find the forums for whatever bike you choose, they're a wealth of specific information. But then, the fact that you're here may mean that you'd do that anyway. ;)

been riding for fifteen years.

repeat the recommendation for a riding class. look for something in the 500-600cc range. wear a helmet.

nothing like it.

Buying a motorcycle was the best decision I've made. There is nothing like riding a bike.

I'd also recommend the book Proficient Motorcycling as well as the class. It is a great book for new and experienced riders alike.

Sit on as many bikes as you can. Don't worry as much about engine size as about bike size and weight. You'll probably have to pick it up at some point.

I'd say finance it if you can at all, you want a bike that's not a hassle. 3K is pretty low for a normal bike if you don't know how to work on them or tell when something isn't right.

I'd actually opt for something like a Ducati Monster frankly, unless your credit is a wreck you can get one of the 695's pretty cheap. Wear gear, helmet and gloves at all time and take the MSF class and be cautious and you should be fine.

I'd also recommend the book Proficient Motorcycling as well as the class. It is a great book for new and experienced riders alike.

Sit on as many bikes as you can. Don't worry as much about engine size as about bike size and weight. You'll probably have to pick it up at some point.

So when I see Harley's lined up outside of a biker bar, it's ok to sit on each one until I find one I like? :laugh: :sign:

So when I see Harley's lined up outside of a biker bar, it's ok to sit on each one until I find one I like? :laugh: :sign:
Sure! Make sure you make the little motor sounds, too. Who knows, once you do a little dance on the bar in platform shoes you may make a lot of new friends. :)

The 600cc is only for a sportbike .If you want a cruiser or something you will need a little more power to get you out of the way from say a car merging and is going to hit. It is just as bad to get something to small as it is to get something to big. My first bike when I was 16 was a Honda shadow 1100cc sabre which was a nice bike and a good size.

I bought my Suzuki VS1400 Intruder for $2900. It had under 10K miles on it and the guy had full maintenance records. Cruiser style, proven design, decent looking. What more do you want? Two things going for that particular bike now is that it has been around for 23 years and they just stopped making them. You can score a good bike with a little patience.

Bike3sm.JPG

You can score a good bike with a little patience.

Agreed. You have to be on the ball, though. You can find some crazy deals just by being a craigslist stalker.

The last bike I added to my ever growing collection was an '83 Kawasaki GPz550. Kawasaki's are like tanks, let me tell you. This thing had been ridden home one day, parked in front of a garage and hadn't been moved for about 3 years by the time the owner posted his $50 craigslist ad. I emailed the man in seconds, showed up an hour later with a truck. At first glance, you'd think it was in terrible shape. The seat was torn up, paint was badly faded and it had been sitting in the Seattle weather for 3 years.

It took me 2 hours to get it running. All I did was change the oil and flush the fuel tank. $10 worth of marine grade vinyl, some foam and another hour got me a seat that looked brand new and a few hours of primer and some paint made that thing look pretty slick. I use it as my beater. 20K miles and it's yet to let me down.

$50:

angel1.JPG

angel2.JPG

Add a hand sewn seat:

angel3.JPG

angel4.JPG

No, $50 gems might not be common, but in the past year, I've come across literally dozens of nice looking classic bikes in the Boston area for less than $500. Bikes are easy. Unless you're looking at some serious engine issues, there's rarely anything to worry about.

The 600cc is only for a sportbike ....

That was my thought too... 600cc sportbikes are insane but if you're going cruiser, 750 or even 1100 probably won't be bad just depending on what you're comfortable with...

I'd offer couple of pieces of advice...

1) Think about what type of driver you are. Do you get into driving where all your senses are heightened, and they are all geared towards the task at hand (i.e. driving)? If not you should learn to be that way on a bike.

2) Assume every one is going to hit you, pull in front of you, or cut you off - even if you see their eyes and it appears they are looking right at you. People in cars are not use to looking for bikes, and invariably someone will be looking right at you and yet still not see you.

3) Stay humble and realize that no matter how long you've been riding, or how comfortable you are on a bike that you should always be trying to get better and more skilled.

I was just thinking this morning, "I wonder what Devin has been doing?" Now I know. Dropping your bike :p