• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of getting a motorcycle..

I was just thinking this morning, "I wonder what Devin has been doing?" Now I know. Dropping your bike :p

LOL

----------------

And for the thread...take the class!

:thumbs:

...and do a LOT of test rides to see what you like!

I was just thinking this morning, "I wonder what Devin has been doing?" Now I know. Dropping your bike :p

:laugh: Ray, don't jinx me now.

Haven't been down in thirty-four years... guess I'm due.

If you ride long enough it is not a matter if you are doing to go down...just when.

I believe if your going to et a bike et a roadking or a street glide.I know several smaller guys that never road and took right off on these,plus i thinnk they are safer becuase you can see them. been riding since 1 was 10..so far so good. I have logged 0ver 350,000 miles thank you lord!

Here are some thing to think about.

First off, from a financial standpoint. You can only afford about 3K for a motorcycle. Thats not going to get you very far towards something turn-key. The only thing worse than sinking money into a vehicle...is sinking money into two (or more). Make sure the purchase of a motorcycle + all related costs isnt going to break you. Good gear is expensive. Depending on how far you go, you can easily sink several hundred dollars to a few grand into all the proper protection. Insurance can bite hard as well.

Half assing motorcycles and gear can end up costing you big time. Dont go buy some rusty machine to throw your leg over because its all you can afford. Mechanical problems on a bike can spell real disaster. The older the bike, the harder parts will be to find...and the more expensive thry will be. Personally id never own a used bike. To me, bikes fit the bill when you have the disposable income and stability to do so. I have one and ride nearly every day and it does save on gas, but ive also got 2 other trucks + the wifeys car that I can jump into and not have to worry if they are going to start. If you had a sound primary 4-wheeled vehicle then id say go for it, but if nott, my advice would be to keep the cash for a down payment on a new car/truck, or sink it into making your truck more reliable. Trying to use a bike as a bandaide to streach the life out of an ailing truck is a bad idea...like having a kid to fix a failing relationship. When it dies and your forced to ride through blinding rain or 19degree days on (insert highway number here) youll know why I say what I do.

If you can manage all that, I say go to your local MSF before you buy anything. Many community colleges offer them, but with you being in a major metro area, expect to wait a few months. They fill up fast. I would say your 92% statistic is a bit high. Go take the msf and youll agree that your not immediatley ready to hit the traffic and highways. The fact is, even someone who has ridden for 30 years can have an "oops" moment and wreck. Everything from weather, to road conditions, to other drivers magnify the danger to motorcyclists 100x over. Things like "sand, gravel, wet leaves" may mean nothing to you, but it can mean catastrophy to a biker. And it can happen at any time. Yes, alot of accidents happen to new riders, but the majority of them happen when they get into over their heads or loose respect. I used to ride with guy "A" who had been through all the courses, and ive ridden with my father in law who never took a course. I invite you to guess who has had two wrecks and whom I no longer ride with. Dont get me wrong, take the stinkin course, but understand that its largley up to you to keep yourself safe. And that includes dodging the bimbo blonde driving a honkin SUV with 8 screaming kids in the back while she does her makeup, sips her $10 latte, talks on her cell phone weaving in and out of traffic at 90mph. Someone up above nailed it. Drive as though everyone is out to kill you.

If you can handle all that, I say go for it. It is without a doubt the most enjoyable part of my day!

Haven't been down in thirty-four years... guess I'm due.

I have to correct this...many years ago I was hit by a drunk driver.

The memory isn't what it used to be...sigh

I wish you all the best if you decide to ride!

I believe if your going to et a bike et a roadking or a street glide.I know several smaller guys that never road and took right off on these,plus i thinnk they are safer becuase you can see them. been riding since 1 was 10..so far so good. I have logged 0ver 350,000 miles thank you lord!

Wow, that was really hard to read.. ???

My recommendation? Don't buy a motorcycle. Last thing this world needs is yet one more person way cooler than I am. To many of 'em already, if you ask me. :laugh:

Well, with a name like PanheadJay, guess someone figured I'd post sooner or later! Having been the owner, borrowing, unauthorized rider of more scooters, sleds, iron horses, motorcycles, god forsaken two wheel machines as my Aunt once called them, I never be without one or two or three! Been riding for 34 yrs now, yes to some of you that's longer than you been alive, and to some of you it isn't. I will, can and have riden with everything from the newest novice, amateur, to total professional! From weekend riders, RUBS, YUPS, 1%ers and everything in between. There is nothing like it, nor is there anything you might want to avoid at all cost no matter what! Having had several wrecks and been living with some metal parts attaching an extremely important appendage to my sorry ass for many yrs, find myself in need of hip replacement at the young age of almost forty! It's definitely not what it used to be and not like it ever will be. Not for the faint of heart! Will take you yrs to be able to ride it better than at times it will try to or succeed in riding you! Just use good mechanical sense, if there is such a thing considering getting on one! it's basically an over sized bicycle frame, with two cylinders or more nowadays chopped off a v8 or canbe from smaller than the average 4 banger to much larger than it. The guy in the cage (that's a car for you non riders) will never look out for you, unless he happens to straddle one on occasion himself!
There the twisted opinion of a 39 yr old been riding some type of motorized mechanical contraption for 34 yrs who has spent 18+ yrs in the military to avoid some iron bars and has a 4 yrs of psychology with a sprinkling of philosophy and no idea what he's going to do with that when he retires from military service in 18 months!!!!

Dress for the crash, not the ride. Best advice I could give. You never know when it can happen. You don't want to get caugth with your pants down, so to speak, no helmet, shorts, tennis shoes, and a simple t-shirt. I have seen buddies fly off their bikes and the end result is not pretty.

All good advice so far, particularly the MSF school and not to forget looking at availability at your community colleges - they often have the least expensive classes.

5 years ago I too decided to get back into riding after being off for 14 years. Like you I didn't want a "big" bike that I couldn't handle, but the flip side is you go too small and you outgrow it very quickly. Several types have already been recommended to you, including the Honda Shadow. I chose the Shadow Aero 750 and it is perfect for my needs. It is light weight for a bike in its size, as a cruiser it doesn't have the "0 to OH-MY-GOD" pick up of the sport bikes, is small enough for learning and riding comfortably, yet is big enough that I have ridden it from San Diego to Vegas without any problem.

Good luck and remember, you can't ride safely but you can ride carefully.

David

Well, with a name like PanheadJay, guess someone figured I'd post sooner or later! Having been the owner, borrowing, unauthorized rider of more scooters, sleds, iron horses, motorcycles, god forsaken two wheel machines as my Aunt once called them, I never be without one or two or three! Been riding for 34 yrs now, yes to some of you that's longer than you been alive, and to some of you it isn't. I will, can and have riden with everything from the newest novice, amateur, to total professional! From weekend riders, RUBS, YUPS, 1%ers and everything in between. There is nothing like it, nor is there anything you might want to avoid at all cost no matter what! Having had several wrecks and been living with some metal parts attaching an extremely important appendage to my sorry ass for many yrs, find myself in need of hip replacement at the young age of almost forty! It's definitely not what it used to be and not like it ever will be. Not for the faint of heart! Will take you yrs to be able to ride it better than at times it will try to or succeed in riding you! Just use good mechanical sense, if there is such a thing considering getting on one! it's basically an over sized bicycle frame, with two cylinders or more nowadays chopped off a v8 or canbe from smaller than the average 4 banger to much larger than it. The guy in the cage (that's a car for you non riders) will never look out for you, unless he happens to straddle one on occasion himself!
There the twisted opinion of a 39 yr old been riding some type of motorized mechanical contraption for 34 yrs who has spent 18+ yrs in the military to avoid some iron bars and has a 4 yrs of psychology with a sprinkling of philosophy and no idea what he's going to do with that when he retires from military service in 18 months!!!!

As a military retiree I know exactly how you feel. I loved my 23 years, but have to say that now when I see my friends who stayed longer the conversation always starts "Dave, you look great" while I'm thinking "man you look like crap!". Anyway, retiring doesn't necessarily mean more time to ride your bike, but if you have questions or whatever give me a shout.

David