• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of joining the Freemasons

Maybe the WWII generation was more cut out for it cos they were already older!

Older, Lumberg?

In the spring of 1942, my father and all his high school buddies found themselves enlisting the morning after their high school graduation...mere pimply faced 17 and 18 year old kids.

And then in 1951, at the age of 26, with a young wife and his first born child a month old, dad returned to the Navy to serve in the Korean War conflict.

My father's experience is like that of many of the surviving vets of that generation, they experienced more than then most men of our generation could imagine. It might be a worthwhile thing for you to join one of the groups discussed, if nothing more then to hear the "old timers" stories of what defined their lives before the ripe old age of 30...

yeah but did they join the Elks/Moose/whatever at that age?

By the time I was old enough to understand what those clubs were, the "WWII generation" was already well into their 40s.

That's all I meant bro.

Actually I am quite familiar with the Lions clubs as three members of my board (my bosses) are filled by three locsal lions clubs. Two more by Kiwanis clubs. The lions clubs can't figure out why people think it is a WWII club.

I try to explaing that while growing up we always went to their fish frys and becuase of my age (30's) it just happened that the members back then were WWII vets. Just a coincidence. The local clubs here have members of all ages and also women so things really aren't what they might seem age wise.

Wow folks, i have been away a while and am glad to see upon returning that there is other mutual interests being explored.

It is wonderful to find several brother masons on the board and almost anyone who becomes a mason can appreciate the connection felt upon meeting onother member thoughout your travels and life.

It is a great institution in my opinion and can be very inspiring to your philosophical and moral character and becomes more so as you advance. If a person is seeking a place to do charritable work following the masonic order into the the Shrine is an excellent place. most shrine temples are very active in fund raising and transporting burned and crippled children to the 20 or so hospitals every week. these hospitals cost close to 2 million dollars per day to run, so anyone can see that charritable work is definitly needed and appreciated.

I am glad to be back posting again, and if any members of this board are interested in masonry, i would be glad to return your emails or pm's,

take care,

Nick Tyree

Junior Warden
Gardendale LOdge # 907
Gardendale AL

Member of the Directors staff at Zamora Shrine Temple

32 degree Knight of St. Andrews Birmingham Scottish Rite

Hello Nick,

WOW it's been a LOOOOOONG time sine your last post, glad to see you're still thinking about us.

I'm a noooob here and I'm glad to see some of the members who've been around check back in and see what's going on :thumbs:

Thanks for asking, things have been well, business is good, but i have taken up billiards (sounds cooler than just pool LOL) so i don't get around much, but before i make to much of a threadjack, it is really good to be back. :D

Lumberg said:
well it would be nice to join a club that at least has some kind of redeeming social value, like does some charity work. do the Elks or Moose do that?

I'm pretty sure the Rotarians, Shriners, and Knights of Columbus all do.
Damn man! Join the Shriners. You get to wear those cool Fez hat things AND drive go-karts in parades. :)

I come from a family full of members of numerous Masonic Orders.

Freemasons - Local, Grand (State?), and Blue Lodges
Scottish Rite
York Rite
DeMolay
Eastern Star
Rainbow
Job's Daughters
etc..

I didn't join any of the orders because I felt I did not have the time. Now that I am older (33), and have kids and such, I KNOW I do not have the time. My Grandfather was Grand Master of the State of Missouri in the mid 80s (I miss him, but not all of the chicken and roast beef dinners).

M. Gipson

Family members were/are:

Master Mason - Local Masonic Lodge
Grand Lodge - State of California Grand Masonic Lodge
Worthy Patron - Local Chapter Order of the Eastern Star
Worthy Matron - Local Chapter Order of the Eastern Star
Grand Line Members - State of California Chapter Order of the Eastern Star

Grandson of:

Grand Master - State of Missouri

Cousin, 2nd Cousin, nephew of:
various other Orders directly affiliated with Free Masonary

Necro thread resurrection without purpose is considered poor form. Borderline spam, imho.

Hello Blinded long time no see. But What you taking about Willis... Where did you get that? I didn't get that memo but I will keep it in mind.