• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This has got to stop.

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
I love Fuente cigars. They fit my taste nicely. I do not like my Fuente cigars covered in mold. The character of this mold is white in color and three dimensional in shape. Almost all these examples listed below manifested warning signs before they arrived in my humidor. I keep the temp 67-69 and the RH 63-65%.

#1). First experience with mold on Fuente cigars was in early October of 2006 with this box of WOAM I purchased from Superiorcigar.com. The vendor never returned my numerous emails so I sucked it up and dealt with the problem the best I could.

opus115.jpg

#2). My next experience involved a trade with someone on another BB for a sealed box of Anejo #50. I opened these and they looked fine. I did not check beneath the cedar. Big mistake. I traded these off to a member here for a box of #49s. He did check beneath the cedar sleeve and informed me of mold.

#3.) I bought a handful of Anejo #77 shark singles just after Christmas from El Fumador. I have used this site successfully in the past and have had nothing but stellar service from them. One of the sharks now has a severely moldy foot and mold was present beneath the cedar sleeve on a Double Château SG that I bought in the same order.

opus294.jpg

I can live with some mold on the wrapper of a cigar, but mold growing on the foot is a different story all together. :angry:

#4).
I was packing up some cammie sharks from Holt’s and noticed a little spot of mold on the side of one of the sticks. Then I checked the foot. :0

opus290.jpg

opus292.jpg

opus289.jpg

(This one was not sent out in the trade. The rest are fine.) :whistling:

This really disappoints me. I’ve always loved Fuente cigars, but something is very wrong here. All four of these examples came from different vendors/ people and all had problems with mold. I don’t know why this is the case but I would like to know if anyone else has had such severe problems with mold growing on their Fuente cigars.

I've done alot to try to keep the mold from reoccurring . I've taken the Humipaks out. I've left the cigars sit out for 24 hrs, but the results aren't promising. :(

I've spent alot of money on Fuente products, but I can't keep on doing this. ???

Could ya have some mold spores circulating in your humi?

Do ya store em in cello.

Not' trying to start a cell/non-cello debate. I find it takes awhile longer for a cigar to dry out, if they are wet, when the cello is on.

Last but not least.... Is your hygrometer correct? (not saying your a dumbass) Those are the only things I can think of that would lead to mold.

The only reason is the common denominator is you and fuente. Diffrerent smokes from different folks (stores) all growing mold in your humi. Now I AM on your side that fuente does have a mold issue. Either it could be your humi for some reason, or you have bad luck I dunno. I know I let my humi sit at 70 for a week one time and BLAMO I had to pitch about 20 smokes due to mold.

Just a friendly observation.

Hope ya get it figured out.

Shane

It is hard to tell from the pictures but is the color of the mold blue or white?? Good luck.

I had the exact same mold on one of my Cameroon Sharks. The others were just fine. Same with some Anejo #49's under the cedar, but that was last year's release. The only other mold problem I've ever had was on a box of LGC's. Now I check all Fuentes when they arrive, wipe off anything that looks like mold and then store them at 63-65% without cello and that seems to have fixed the problem. Moki, has Fuente aknowleged the problem? Are they doing anything to help correct it? I know most B&M's store at a rediculously high RH. I wonder if that isn't adding to the problem? Hang in there Mark Twain and thanks for heads up about Superiorcigars.com.

Damn... I'm gonna have to check the stuff in my humi when I get home.

I know you mentioned the RH in the humi but is your hygrometer calibrated (I'm not saying your a dumbass either) ?.. LOL

Like Shooter said... sounds like ya might have some mold spores circulating in the humi also.... How about inspecting everything and cleaning out the humi...

I'm pretty constant at 62-65 and have not had a problem. I'll be watching closely.

Can you send them back?

Most of my anjeos and hemingway maddies from 06 are gone, I've smoked them all! :D :sign:

Will fuente do anything about this problem? I would think they would.

I don't know what they might do about it. It kind of irritates me if they knew the cigars were not stored properly and they still sent them to the retailers. Seems like they should have pulled them back and taken a look to see if they had a problem. This just gives the F/N haters more ammo.

Some wrappers seem to be more prone to this and the Anejos certainly seem to have that wrapper on them. I've seen some on hemi mads in the past but not lately, that being said I have some that are sealed and I think they will be un-sealed this evening. I am curious enough to take a peak.

Some wrappers seem to be more prone to this and the Anejos certainly seem t ohave that wrapper on them. I've seen some on hemi mads in the past but not lately, that being said I have some that are sealed and I think they will be un-sealed this evening. I am curious enough to take a peak.

Yep, I believe the wrapper is the same on the hemi maduros and anejos... and because of its thick, porous nature, it seems to be a haven for mold.

Thankfully, I've not had this problem yet. But it sounds like it is getting pretty widespread. And I find it hard to believe (and pretty inexecusable) that A. Newman would allow sticks to go out in this condition. I would, as others have suggested, recommended taking a gander at your humi to make sure you don't have anything there contributing to the problem.

Other than that, gives me more reason to keep loading up on Pepin's masterpieces (as if I needed any more reasons in the first place lol) for the time being.

I've had the same issue with a box of Signaures and Classics, 48's and 77's. All four boxes were from different sources that I have used in the past. Each box has had four to five cigars affected. But only on the wrappers. I segragated these from the rest and it seems to have ended the problem, but I look at them every couple of days, just to be sure.

Meant to state A. Fuente & Newman in my post above...and, because of that, to also ask -

Has this been present in only A. Fuente sticks? Anyone finding this in VSG's for instance?
Just picked up a couple of boxes of VSGs (Illusion and Enchantment) that I haven't yet even cracked. Will be opening those babies when I get home just to check 'em out.

Could ya have some mold spores circulating in your humi?

Do ya store em in cello.

Not' trying to start a cell/non-cello debate. I find it takes awhile longer for a cigar to dry out, if they are wet, when the cello is on.

Last but not least.... Is your hygrometer correct? (not saying your a dumbass) Those are the only things I can think of that would lead to mold.

The only reason is the common denominator is you and fuente. Diffrerent smokes from different folks (stores) all growing mold in your humi. Now I AM on your side that fuente does have a mold issue. Either it could be your humi for some reason, or you have bad luck I dunno. I know I let my humi sit at 70 for a week one time and BLAMO I had to pitch about 20 smokes due to mold.

Just a friendly observation.

Hope ya get it figured out.

Shane

I wish it was my humidor, then I could say it was me and not the product. :(

#1 arrived already infected with mold and got qaratintined.
#2 was open and looked at but cigars never left the box.
#3 all singles came from a vendor and began manifesting mold a few days later.
#4 came from holt's a few weeks back and looked fine until a few days ago.

I just changed my batteries on my hygrometer and salt tested them two weeks ago, all were within 1-2 degrees of 75%. The singles that have manifested mold are on the top of the humidor where humidity should be lowest.

No other sticks have been affected except for the Fuentes. ???

You're not alone, Mark Twain... a number of people have been reporting mold with the recent maduro Anejos and Hemingways on a number of forums.

I like quoteing the big man from the article when he says "get this right or get another customer!" ;)

I'm getting close.

A while back I read that using a bit of whit vinegar and a Q-tip could remove and kill surface mold. They said white vinegar (aceatic acid) evaporates without leaving any residue that would affect the smoke. I bought some moldy sticks from a gas station (they were quarantined the whole time) and gave it a try. @ months later tey were mold free and smoked just as awfull as the ones without mold. 50cents a stick. I don't know about trying this on premium sticks but it beats the alternative of throwing them away.

Billy

I checked my Sand Shark today and it too had very small amounts of mold on the cap end which wiped off easily. I'm heading to the lounge tonight to make sure more never develops, I don't think more mold will grow while it's burning. And after that I'm gonna torch one of my Don Carlos Anniversarios!

Well, this thread worried me enough to pull all the Fuentes out for inspection. The WOAMs had way to much mold supressing glue slopped all over them to have a problem. :rolleyes:

The Anejos looked good, but I did find a single Cuban Belicosos with fine mold over most of the wrapper. It wiped off easy, and like Wade, I think I will perform a fire cleansing this afternoon.

You're not alone, Mark Twain... a number of people have been reporting mold with the recent maduro Anejos and Hemingways on a number of forums.

I had this same problem with the 10 Anejo #46's I got that was just 2 months old. Instead of trading or selling them off, I've made myself smoke them and also some friends so they don't get nasty. Needless to say I have one left and probably go down tonight cuz the last one was covered pretty bad. :( At least they taste pretty decent.