• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This Past weekend

wtrfwler1

I have a fairy small collection of ISOM’s thanks to some folks here and I have been saving them. Well this past weekend I figured was as good of time as any to start smoking some. Over the course of the weekend I smoked Cohiba Sig 1, Hoyo Epicure 2, H. Upmann Mag, 46, Montecristo #2, and Bolivar Royal Corona.

I have smoked a few ISOM’s in the past and this was the first time I really had enough different ones to smoke over the course of a few days. They were all fantastic except the H.Upmann and it was not good at all, maybe it needed to rest longer.

It was really nice to be able to switch off from the NC I have been smoking and to be able to compare the two. Both are very good and different and I really can’t say I like one over the other, but damn that Bolivar Royal Corona was something else. :thumbs:

Robby

Robby,

What a great selection of cigars! Historically I have not been a fan of the Mag46 until this year. I got ahold of some 2003/2004 and some 2006 and I've been loving them. I'd say try some more, they are well worth the effort to get to know.

Wilkey

Sounds like your weekend was great and full. I to love the Monte #2s, brings tears to my eyes just thinking about them.

Ken

Great weekend of smokes... watch out with the dark side... and enjoy!

Wilkey that's what I was thinking. It seems that I read somewhere the Mag46 don't smoke well young, but after a few years they are a different cigar. I'm assuming the one I had was young, and when the opportunity arises I will try some more after they sit for a while.

Robby

Wilkey that's what I was thinking. It seems that I read somewhere the Mag46 don't smoke well young, but after a few years they are a different cigar. I'm assuming the one I had was young, and when the opportunity arises I will try some more after they sit for a while.

Robby

Actually, I heard quite the opposite. This is a quote from one of the sponsors websites:

"Let me add one last advice: do not age your Magnums long-time; they may loose their rich aromas, and they will acquire an earthy taste. One year aging is sufficient."

that is from http://www.cuban-cigars-store.com/H.-Upman...num-46-Slb.html

Any thoughts on whether aging can ruin a good cigar?

Robby

Actually, I heard quite the opposite. This is a quote from one of the sponsors websites:

"Let me add one last advice: do not age your Magnums long-time; they may loose their rich aromas, and they will acquire an earthy taste. One year aging is sufficient."

IMHO, aging can only make a good cigar better...

lordlister thanks for the info, and on the site you provided it did say one year aging is sufficent. I have no idea how old or young the one I smoked was. I do know it didn't taste very good at all, had an amonia taste.

I found what I was refering to from another site:

H.Upmann Mag 46- A lot of people rave over these. A lot of people dislike these. There are fans on both sides but you can't deny this is a much talked about cigar. When ON these are fantastic but when young suffer from harsh/ammonia type flavors.

I'm with junkman, I can't see how aging can make a cigar worse.

Robby

Robby

Perhaps long-time means 50 years? :sign:

I have had similar experiences with the Mag46. I just can't get into it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad smoke, it just doesn't have that magic for me that others experience from it.

I'll take any Punch corona gorda over it anyday.

I have had mediocre or even bad Mag 46s.
But once you had a good one... It's hard to beat!

-Rob

I've got a box from '05 and they are ON..!! Big, earthy, sweet, classic ISOM flavors. Just an amazing smoke....time down hasn't seemed to do these any harm, to be sure.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I agree with B.B.S.

I have 2 boxes of 05 that are smoking great right now. There was a short "sick" period (if you can call it that), until they were one
year old. As to what happens now is pure speculation. I cannot imagine any ISOM not improving with age but who knows. These days
there are a number of ISOM's made (it seems) to smoke young.

Brian

Not that I ever had any doubts, but now I'm even more excited that I've got an slb of Mag46 from Sep 06 that's going to sit in a dark corner of my humidor for the next 17 years until my son's HS graduation. Maybe even longer, perhaps a wedding or college...

I agree with B.B.S.

I have 2 boxes of 05 that are smoking great right now. There was a short "sick" period (if you can call it that), until they were one
year old. As to what happens now is pure speculation. I cannot imagine any ISOM not improving with age but who knows. These days
there are a number of ISOM's made (it seems) to smoke young.

Brian
That's really good to know. I just realized I have a cab of NOV05 that completely forgotten. :D

Not that I ever had any doubts, but now I'm even more excited that I've got an slb of Mag46 from Sep 06 that's going to sit in a dark corner of my humidor for the next 17 years until my son's HS graduation. Maybe even longer, perhaps a wedding or college...
Nice pick, Andy!

Wilkey