• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thompson cigar co.

bunn163A

If you shop online I would strongly suggest you stay away from thompson cigars.They have been telemarketing me for awhile so I quit using them now they want an explanation.I am not into having to explain myself if I choose to buy somewhere else.I have never dealt with such an aggresive company ,and there help has been rude.The quality of their merchandise is marginal at best.My son bought me a cutter from them for fathers day and it looks nice but wont cut much of anything.and it came with a fiver of a cigar called Toro Bravo...Oh my god is this a turd! I cant smoke them at all....I wonder if anyone else has had them stalk them after making a purchase.Between the phone calls internet offerings and direct mail I cant see how they can afford to spend so much time and money on someone who spent 80 bucks with them 5 months ago..I feel better getting this off my chest!
Have a great weekend,
Bill

Search is your friend. There are many references to them here.
I think Thompson is sort of a starting place for all of us.
Except for a certian few of course :)

I hated the way they upsell and are so pushy.
I won't buy there at all.

Thompson is a lot like herpes. Spend ten minutes inside their catalog, and they are with you for the rest of your life.

They'll follow you to other houses, ring your phone, run up your bills, and generally provide quite an annoyance.

Not like...I know anything about herpes or anything.... :whistling: Sh*t. I gotta tell Brent. :(

I bought my 50 ct humi from them, and they signed me up for all kinds of crap. I told them not to call me again, after about a month of it. Never will I deal with them again! (To me they're the Family Dollar of cigars.)

well well... i have just recently placed an order with them....
beside the marketing technique i wounder why you guys hate them soooo much lol (ill do a little search myself)
i mean isnt taste and color suggestive? i mean it must be really bad cigars that they pack since it seams that the majority of the members here hate them... but i dont seam to find out why you guys hate the cigars... i know you guys call those cigars all kind of name... but why?

sorry i am a noob =)

If you shop online I would strongly suggest you stay away from thompson cigars.They have been telemarketing me for awhile so I quit using them now they want an explanation.I am not into having to explain myself if I choose to buy somewhere else.I have never dealt with such an aggresive company ,and there help has been rude.The quality of their merchandise is marginal at best.My son bought me a cutter from them for fathers day and it looks nice but wont cut much of anything.and it came with a fiver of a cigar called Toro Bravo...Oh my god is this a turd! I cant smoke them at all....I wonder if anyone else has had them stalk them after making a purchase.Between the phone calls internet offerings and direct mail I cant see how they can afford to spend so much time and money on someone who spent 80 bucks with them 5 months ago..I feel better getting this off my chest!
Have a great weekend,
Bill

The same thing happened to me; they kept calling me and emailing as well. I finally sent them a Certified Letter requesting they stop harassing me via phone, email and mail. :angry: It worked as I haven't been called, emailed or received one of their catalogs since then. :thumbs:

beside the marketing technique i wounder why you guys hate them soooo much lol (ill do a little search myself)
i mean isnt taste and color suggestive? i mean it must be really bad cigars that they pack since it seams that the majority of the members here hate them... but i dont seam to find out why you guys hate the cigars... i know you guys call those cigars all kind of name... but why?

sorry i am a noob =)

This has nothing to do with the quality of what they sale.It is about being harrased after the sale.Here in Indiana we have laws against telemarketing.I just dont feel i owe an explaination for why i have not ordered more from them.And it certainley is none of their business where i have been buying from.Welcome to CP and i hope your transaction with Thompsons goes well for you

Bill

i mean isnt taste and color suggestive? i mean it must be really bad cigars that they pack since it seams that the majority of the members here hate them... but i dont seam to find out why you guys hate the cigars... i know you guys call those cigars all kind of name... but why?sorry i am a noob =)
Because they suck. What else do you need to know. There's several hundred years of experience around here. You should pay attention to it. You'll save yourself grief, aggravation and money. Oh by the way, is your shift key broken?

Doc.

sorry i am a noob =)

This has nothing to do with the quality of what they sale.It is about being harrased after the sale.Here in Indiana we have laws against telemarketing.I just dont feel i owe an explaination for why i have not ordered more from them.And it certainley is none of their business where i have been buying from.Welcome to CP and i hope your transaction with Thompsons goes well for you

Bill
yea thanks!!!!
i got a little scared after reading all the thomy post... but since i a noob i wounder if i can tell apart a crappy and a good cigar...
but then again i might have crappy taste and the thompson might be just fine =)

i mean isnt taste and color suggestive? i mean it must be really bad cigars that they pack since it seams that the majority of the members here hate them... but i dont seam to find out why you guys hate the cigars... i know you guys call those cigars all kind of name... but why?sorry i am a noob =)
Because they suck. What else do you need to know. There's several hundred years of experience around here. You should pay attention to it. You'll save yourself grief, aggravation and money. Oh by the way, is your shift key broken?

Doc.
i know i know how do they suck? they dont draw? or it doesnt taste like smoke? or maybe it doesnt burn? i mean i am still trying to learn the ropes here =)

ps: what does the shift key do?

I can only assume English may be a second language to you gahau as I live in a place where many foreigners reside and visit, but all Doc was trying to tell you is to use proper typing and sentence structure. Now I am a real newb, so placing this comment is going out on a limb, but I'd like to help you because you seem to like the hobby enough to find out more. I have lurked far before I ever joined and many, many people here have helped me avoid using Thompson. I'm glad I ended up using sites that were and still are good to me in terms of doing good business.

Sorry Bunn that they are doing that to you, I've read of others having the same trouble you are going through. :( I have some friends that buy from them and I tried to give them other suggestions, but hey, they still order from them so "to each their own".

I can only assume English may be a second language to you gahau as I live in a place where many foreigners reside and visit, but all Doc was trying to tell you is to use proper typing and sentence structure. Now I am a real newb, so placing this comment is going out on a limb, but I'd like to help you because you seem to like the hobby enough to find out more. I have lurked far before I ever joined and many, many people here have helped me avoid using Thompson. I'm glad I ended up using sites that were and still are good to me in terms of doing good business.

Sorry Bunn that they are doing that to you, I've read of others having the same trouble you are going through. :( I have some friends that buy from them and I tried to give them other suggestions, but hey, they still order from them so "to each their own".
english is my third language... but yea i hope it wont annoyed anyone too much if i dont MAJ...
yea as far as for thompson cigars i just wanted to know why ppl dislike em... i mean it was clear that their marketing technique is troublesome but i am trying to see if there where anything wrong with their actual cigars. couldnt find anyone that would actualy tell me why the thompson cigars sucks all i could find is why thompson sucks
PS: i was kidding with the shift key... i am just lazy lol

english is my third language... but yea i hope it wont annoyed anyone too much if i dont MAJ...
yea as far as for thompson cigars i just wanted to know why ppl dislike em... i mean it was clear that their marketing technique is troublesome but i am trying to see if there where anything wrong with their actual cigars. couldnt find anyone that would actualy tell me why the thompson cigars sucks all i could find is why thompson sucks

If you plan on making CP your home, please use your shift key. Properly formatted posts is one of our few rules, so please type like an adult when on CP. Thanks.

Well Gahau, Thompson Cigar Co. hounds you for YEARS, follows you around to different houses, etc. As far as their cigars, most of their house blends are short fillers, and machine made. They still burn, they still produce smoke, but as far as my palette, I don't find them amicable and not to my taste.

I would suggest Cigars International or even Famous Smoke Shop if you're just starting out and want to buy a whole bunch of stuff. Or, go on over to the Newbie Trade Thread and set up a trade man. Welcome to the business...

ETA: PS- What Rod said too... English is your 3rd, so cheers to you in your education and talent, but you have to use it properly on here. ;)

If you plan on making CP your home, please use your shift key. Properly formatted posts is one of our few rules, so please type like an adult when on CP. Thanks.
Will do

Well Gahau, Thompson Cigar Co. hounds you for YEARS, follows you around to different houses, etc. As far as their cigars, most of their house blends are short fillers, and machine made. They still burn, they still produce smoke, but as far as my palette, I don't find them amicable and not to my taste.

I would suggest Cigars International or even Famous Smoke Shop if you're just starting out and want to buy a whole bunch of stuff. Or, go on over to the Newbie Trade Thread and set up a trade man. Welcome to the business...

ETA: PS- What Rod said too... English is your 3rd, so cheers to you in your education and talent, but you have to use it properly on here. ;)
Ah well thanks for the information! Man I am scared for my thompson order now =( well I am receiving them Monday, and will let you guys know my noob point of view =)
I will check you the references that you pointed out
THANKS

I've used Thompson a few times. I'll have to agree that their house cigars are lack luster, but I have no problem with well known brands from them. The emails I get from them are somewhat annoying, but I just delete them (I should probably set up a filter to delete them). I do enjoy getting the catalog; kind of fun to flip through. I haven't been bothered with phone calls from them, but if I don't recognize the phone number I don't answer the phone.

I will be checking out Cigar International and Famous Smoke Shop as souldog24ca recommended. For newbees (newer than me) I highly recommend your local B&M; nothing bets talking to a knowledge tobacconist when learning about cigars.

I must say I haven't a Thompsons catalog in a long long time. ( knock on wood )

For newbees (newer than me) I highly recommend your local B&M; nothing bets talking to a knowledge tobacconist when learning about cigars.

The thing I found out the hard way though is at least around here the B&M's charge more than double MSRP. Once I found this out I was :angry:

As far as Thompson is concerned, I have a buddy that swears by them. He ordered some real yard 'gars from them a couple months back as his very first "major" cigar purchase. Needless to say, they came dryer than the Sahara Desert with split wrappers and all. I told him right then and there that I would never do business with them again if that is the way the shipped their smokes. Well, to this day he still claims that Thompson is "the best" because the have more variety in their samplers than Famous or CI and when he calls to place an order they try to upsell him and give him "free stuff". I feel sorry for him because I know he's being taken but at the end of the day if he's happy with the crap they sell him then I guess that's all that matters.

For newbees (newer than me) I highly recommend your local B&M; nothing bets talking to a knowledge tobacconist when learning about cigars.

I very much agree with this. Hopefully your local B&M's aren't price gougers, in which case I wouldn't advise shopping there. But in general, buying singles at the local shops is a good way to support them and hopefully make some new friends (something you won't get purchasing from large online retailers). Save the box orders for the online world but support your local shops when you can. After all, if they don't get the business then eventually you won't have any local shops to go to.

Thanks for all the inputs guys (sorry if I am hijacking the post...)
Well, I'll get my Thompson turds tomorrow... here is what I am looking for in them... hopefully they will still be intact in their wrapper, still moist and when i put them on my lips hopefully they would taste so bad, I only have 3 cigars to compare it to... Casa Magna (i tought tasted pretty good) I cannot remembered La Flor (been a while) but i didnt really like the RP vintage 90' ( it had that weird bitter after taste).
As far as my local shop i tried one in Marietta (they weren't too bad kinda overwhelming and tried to kinda sell me a dupont lighter lol), the shop in downtown, Ash, are really expensive! long story short i got myself into cigar while looking for some cigar box, the guy, Cigar Captain tried to sell me a plain'O empty cigar box, count 20 for $10... at that time i wasn't sure but now i am like WTF! i am never going there again!

PS: Is CI home brand ok? Is this what you guys are trying to tell me?
And what about those? I posted those in the intro pages, I am looking to order some more from JR...

Gurka rare bread
El rey
Bolivar
JR ultimate
Special Jamaicain