• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on CAO Brazilia?

jay_in_oakland

I have recently reignited (heh) my cigar fandom and I had a couple CAO Brazilias that I've kept in a (reasonably) well kept tupperador for about 5 years. I've smoked a few of the sticks I had left over from that time and a lot of them have gotten really tasty. But damn, I saved this CAO Brazilia robusto from the same time frame for after a really nice birthday meal, and jesus, I love a full-bodied smoke more than any other, but it had very little flavor all the way through, it was just like smoking dry hot leaves. I remember not loving them when I bought them (thus their presence in the collection after all these years) but goddamn. I actually gave up on it on the final third and lit something else to try and salvage the experience.

Do you think I just got a bad one or is this typical? Would be interested in hearing your experiences, I have a couple left in my box.
Cheers (also this is my first post)

I have had great experience with the Brazilia GO! Not sure about the Robusto. Sorry you had a bad experience…

Personally, I have enjoyed them when they have make there way into my rotation. But I much prefer the mx2 or the newer extreme.

It's interesting that you mentioned that it was aged 5yrs or so. I have not kept one beyond 2, wonder if they just don't age well?

Smoked a few over the years, the box pressed one especially. I’m not shocked by your experience.

Right? They get a really good rep around the forums, so I was pretty surprised. Just dissappointing

You said “(reasonably) well kept”. If it has been a few years and you let the RH % stay at or below 62% for any extended periods of time, that may be your answer. It could be that the oils in the tobacco have dried out, and so did your flavor with them.

Finishing the CAO America (?) and I don't feel I ever need it again. I had the Brazilla a couple months ago and felt the same way. I had the Consigliere a couple months ago and enjoyed it. Go figure

Last edited:
Though I am not a regular smoker of them, I do tend to enjoy the Brasilia whenever I've got one on hand and the mood strikes. I believe that @jfields may be on to something, there, and they just "died out" over the years of storage. It's also possible that your taste preferences/profiles have changed over time.

The CAO Brazilias are a great inexpensive smoke. I've never had issues with them. I smoke them on occasion. The America line is pretty decent too...love that barber pole wrapper. CAO isn't a high end cigar, but I do believe that they are a quality smoke. I'm sorry your experience was subpar, but I've smoke Brazilias with 5+ years on them that came out of well aged cellos and they smoked great. They do mellow noticeably with age as well.

You said “(reasonably) well kept”. If it has been a few years and you let the RH % stay at or below 62% for any extended periods of time, that may be your answer. It could be that the oils in the tobacco have dried out, and so did your flavor with them.
5 years age is a freshy to John....just sayin'.

It is actually "Feito Brazilia a' mao" and in my humble opinion they kinda suck.
Purchased & smoked two boxes; they need some serious storage time to get them to a bare minimum of being a minimal half way decent smoke.
IMHO don't bother; just purchase something else that is a bit more worthy.

Very possible. Could be that I wrecked it.

Qzgeners build a great brand with CAO.
For a while Tim's passion was acting and not manufacturing, alas the brand took a bit of a backslide.
I always loved the Brazilians in general, the original ones were bomb. As things go sometimes you may find a dried out one that smokes like grass. It's the exception not the rule.
Mike

Many NC's 'turn the corner' after a few years and become very mild to the point of being rather bland. Not uncommon. Not all will, but many do. For 'budget' smokes, honestly I think you let them sit a few months to settle down, RH wise, then enjoy them. Long term aging most of these sticks is a real roll of the dice.

I used to smoke the Gol! quite a bit. Over time I found that the draw was very inconsistent and I had many that were hard to draw. Not big deal to poke something through, but I had too many other cigars that enjoyed more. They are also on the stronger side as my tastes developed. I never really noticed an issue with the flavor being inconsistent. Maybe it had dried out too much at some point and just lost its flavor.