• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

tight draws

Gator

seems like i'm getting more and more that are tightly rolled and have a poor draw, and, imo, can ruin the enjoyment as they don't smoke the same, or maybe i'm not doing something right.

Anyway, any tricks to correcting some of these tight draws?

The most common reason for a tighter draw is over humidification. What are you storing your smokes @ now?

Also, try dry boxing (air tight container w/ no humidification) your smokes for a few days prior to smoking. This will often times help with draw issues.

Hope this helps bro
~Mark

My humidor temperature rises and falls anywhere from 74-66 degrees. Does that affect the draw of cigars in any way?

Or maybe You cut off too small piece of a stick, just a small slice?

it stays around 65%, low 70's temp. Some out of the same humidor will draw well, some not, and the bad draws feel much denser and slightly heavier. This is primarily Habanos cigars i'm talking about, i thought i heard that their construction has slipped over the past few years

Or maybe You cut off too small piece of a stick, just a small slice?

don't think that's the problem, i try to cut as much as i can off w/ out cutting the cap off

Some cigars wont be smokeable even at 60%rh if there too tight.

I had a RP 1999 that was waaaay too tight,dry boxed a couple days,still tight,waited another week in dry box,still tight.I gave up and chucked it.

I had a RP 1999 that was waaaay too tight,dry boxed a couple days,still tight,waited another week in dry box,still tight.I gave up and chucked it.

I never heard of those.... are they new? ???

seems like i'm getting more and more that are tightly rolled and have a poor draw, and, imo, can ruin the enjoyment as they don't smoke the same, or maybe i'm not doing something right.

Anyway, any tricks to correcting some of these tight draws?

Yes, a cigar poker.

Yes, a cigar poker.

Yeah, I've got one of those as well. It certainly can come in handy but you need to test the draw before lighting. The one that I have is called the Drawpoker and can be found on eBay for less than 20 bucks.

...This is primarily Habanos cigars i'm talking about, i thought i heard that their construction has slipped over the past few years

Actually, the quality, in terms of draw and construction, over the past few years has never been better! They have implemented much stricter quality control measures through inspection and draw machines.

I have actually found the draw to be TOO loose in recent years as rollers fear failing the draw machine and being reprimanded.

You're RH seems good and cutting isn't an issue and if they are smokes of recent years...this would leave me stumped.

Have you calibrated your hygros recently?

Just for fun, try dry boxing your smokes for a few days prior to smoking (I do this with almost all my planned smokes).

Hope this helps bro
~Mark

I never heard of those.... are they new? ???

Somewhat new. Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 line. Connecticut wrap, mild-medium but a different (better) taste compared to the rocky patel connecticuts. It's a white and gold label.

Yes, a cigar poker.

Yeah, I've got one of those as well. It certainly can come in handy but you need to test the draw before lighting. The one that I have is called the Drawpoker and can be found on eBay for less than 20 bucks.

I have the cheap model - a piece of #14 wire straightened out. :blush:
But like Mark said, dry boxing helps. :thumbs:

This is primarily Habanos cigars i'm talking about, i thought i heard that their construction has slipped over the past few years...

As has been mentioned, construction in the last couple of years has been greatly improved. If the cigars you're talking about had dates from the early 00's, I would be much more inclined to blame it on construction.

As has also been mentioned, if you haven't checked the accuracy of your hygros recently, I would.

I recently bought a box of Cohiba Esplendido's and I've had 4 of them so far, and all tight. It's really dissapointing because they usually have a great draw. I will try dry boxing one to see if it helps.

How high would the humidity have to be before it started having an effect on the draw? I had a Fuente the other day that had a really tight draw, I was getting almost no smoke out of it. I cut about 2 inches off the foot and that helped.