• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time to brew!

huskerMike

:thumbs: Time to break out the equipment to do a round of brews for the warmer weather. First up, a Widmer Hop Jack clone. This will be an interesting one. I love the original. Now I can tweak the hops to my personal preference. The others I like to do for the summer are, a really tasty IPA.
An Anchor Steam clone that I have made into a really hoppy beer.
American light ale. This is one that I did once before. It is great for after mowing the lawn.
My wife wants me to do one of those fru-fru beers. She loves raspberry wheat brew. I don't know. I am having a hard time bringing myself to putting fruit in a beer.(yuck)

Any of you other brew meisters do special beers for the summer? ???

I normally do an IPA and some kind of wheat...I like to brew a beer similiar to Negro Modelo which for some reason I just love to drink this brew in the summer...yum, yum. It's a Vienna lager and it took me awhile to get it right...unlike alot of home brews...the level of carbonation really matters...I hate to do clones or copy beers, but I make an exception on this one.

Thanks for the post because I need to get started myself. :D

Hey me and a buddy brewed some up one summer but it's been a while. We made an IPA and a darker lager...I don't remember the name, but they weren't bad. I'd like to get back into the hobby but have no idea where to get started, supplies needed, catalogs, websites and whatever. Any info. and/or pointing in directions y'all could give me would be 'preciated!!

BW :thumbs:

Too much work for me..LMAO I just plop down my 3 bucks for a six pack of Old Style and try to remember what Harry Carey sounds like singing Take me out to the ballgame! LMAO

LAMO @ Matt.
Man oh man, how many times did we hear him slur the words to that song?!?

Actually, it might be easier to count how many times he didn't slur the words!

Dave :cool:

So far this year I've brewed my chocolate hazelnut porter, a Pete's wicked knock off of the Summer Brew, a blueberry wheat, and a good 'ol bock (like the Amber bock that Michelob or is it Miller that's pushing, but better :p)

How long have you guys been brewing? Anyone in a brew club or anything? What's yer favorite method, using extracts or going the full bore with a grain mill and etc? Since I live in an apartment, I'm stuck using extracts for now, but when I lived out west I used to brew out on my balcony with a wort chiller and the hole nine, had neighbors that loved me :p Used to trade one guy for his salmon when he'd go up to Oregon... Ahhhh, CA.. I miss ya. *wiping away tear*

:D

I use to use extract when I first started out...but I don't even bother brewing if it's not done all grain now. I'll brew right in my kitchen...why is the apartment holding you back Tony?? If you use to brew all grain..then I'm sure you're dying to go back to it. :p

All I know is that family time will kill a brewing hobbie...LMAO :D I posted to Husker Mikes brew thread here almost 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten a batch going. :( Damn...it really bums me out. Probably going to have to start planning a fall beer line-up. :lookup:

Heya beast, what type of setup are you using? I have the typical NY kitchen, so it's really hard to do a whole grain mash here. I can not wait until I buy a house and turn the garage into a homebrewing/cigar loving shack :p

I have been doing really well with extracts, I hate using them, but they are pretty darn convienent. *shrug* I'd love to mash again tho =/

Jason, those links that were posted little earlier are actually the same ones I use, pretty cool 'eh?

[quote name='Smokin'Tone' date='June 29 2002,5:56']Heya beast, what type of setup are you using?[/quote]
??? Hmmmmmm ??? I guess just a basic "all grain" setup. Nothing fancy here. No high end equipment. Couple brew pots, 54qt cooler, wort chiller, ect...I'm not sure what a typical NY kitchen looks like...but I'm assuming "extremely" small...Uhhh? ;) I'm sure your extract beers are great. The extract products have came along way in the last few years...I've drank alot of brews made with extract and if the brewer is good than the beer is good. :D

I have a few bottles of aged "Hippie Stout" (it's a double cream Starbucks coffee stout). They've been down in the cellar(aka basement) for about 2 yrs. now. Think their any good still??LMFAO :p

If my kitchen were any smaller, the rabbit would have to cook dinner. I can stand at the stove and turn around to the fridge and that's about it :p

I'd love to get a full on mash going again.. One day.....

I don't see why your stout wouldn't be good, as long as you have 'em in the dark bottles you should be fine. In fact if my memory serves correct, a stout like that should blend even deeper over time. My porter ends up tasing best a year from bottling! It gives it time to blend the chocolate and hazelnut, and it turns it almost into a liquor... That brew earned me a nice little ribbon about 4 years ago in a brew club I belonged to out in CA.

I'm thinking of trying out winemaking in the next year or so, have any of you guys tried that out? My family (cue Godfather music) in Italy are winemakers, so I figured even if I don't know what I'm doing I should be able to make some decent wine :p (you know, that whole osmosis thing) LOL... If you have tried it, how do they turn out, and what equipment have you used? I know glass is best with beers, so I'm assuming the same would go with vino.

-Tony

How many active brewers are here on this board. I'd be really interested in trying some hand crafted beers...I have been drinking fine beers from around the world for 9-10 years now. Any brewers interested in a little contest? I have a few nice sticks here I would send to the winner. Say maybe a fine ISOM to the winner and a PAM to the runner up. LMK if any of you homebrewers are interested and I'll make something official.

Emo

Shoo Emo, I'd send my stock to ya for free *cough cough cough* Did I say that outloud?? :p

I've got a bunch in the closet perculatin away, they should be ready by say.... It's july now... Hmm... I like to bottle and then lay in for another month or two.. So maybe by Sept? I mean it'll be good beer, I personally just like to let it settle for a month or two longer.... Also, by then my awesome Oktoberfest beer will be almost ready too :p

I have beer to send Emo...LOL. How about you up the prize to a handful of cigars... :D :p :D

SmokinTone...I make wine. It can be relativley easy compared to brewing and I'm sure you have enough room to do it. You're right...glass works well...a oak barrel can work better.LOL. Anyway...if you stay simple and purchase good kits(get what you pay for in kit quality) you can produce some real nice drinking wines for home. I was extremely skeptical at first but overly surprised at even my first wine. You probably have most the equipment necessary already to get going. You'll be happy you did. :D :D :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeah I could up the sticks....lets see how many people are interested. Yummmie, did someone say beer?....lol

Beast... cool deal, I kind of figured that I'd already have most of the equipment, I've got 6 glass carboys :0 , a nice stainless steel pot, you know the rest... Do you suggest any particular kit to try out? I'm a red/white/as long as the bottle says 'wine' kind of drinker, so any color would be good, just don't know the kit manufacturers for wine...

Emo: I'm game, but I won't be able to send anything until later on in the mission ??? If any of the bottles are good, I'll let you know what it is, blah blah blah...

My addy is ready for any of you who are sending out samples LOL :D

I don't have anything bottled right now or I'd send one for a contest. :( I could bottle off the keg but that just isn't the same. A naturally conditioned brew is a thing of beauty. :p :love:

I am doing extract/mash for my brewing right now. I am in the process of upgrading equipment to get ready to do all grain.