• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time to rant

DaveWF said:
If it helps, my sister & brother-in-law live in Buda, TX. I have no idea where it is - somewhere about an hour or so from Dallas - I think :lookup:
Actually, Buda is just outside of Austin. So its more like 3 hours from Dallas. But hey, not bad for a non-Texan. :sign:

Well, we won't be leaving Dallas County. I lived in Mesquite all my life, until we moved here last year. Never had a single problem in Mesquite, aside from my wife's car getting stolen and totaled one time by some rich kids that decided they wanted to joyride (no joke - kid's parents make more than my wife's parents and mine put together, and the bastards steal a car).

Going to go talk to the apartment complex today to see about getting out of our lease.

Good Luck Charlie, I am sure there is a safety clause in the lease. Shouldn't be a problem.

Allofus123 said:
Sorry to hear about this Shuji.

If the wife doesn't have a carry permit already you should serious consider it. Avoidence is always the first line of defense but......

Glock makes a great model (Glock27) for carrying concealed in a 40 cal.. :thumbs:

A carry permit does not give one the right to pull it out because of a verbal threat.
A friend of mine just purchased that gun, it fires nice and doesn't have too bad of a feel to it... I would personally get a clip extension for it though.

Well guys, I've been out all day running around, calling people, figuring things out.

We got approved for a house!! Up to $105,000!

Needless to say, I'm a little excited. We'll stick it out here while we look, knowing that it's going to be GREAT!

$105,000 is not even enough for a 1Br Co-op by me. We have been looking at 2BR CO-OP's for $240,000. They want 25% down ($60,000) and Maintenence is $836.00/month

Fast4Dr said:
$105,000 is not even enough for a 1Br Co-op by me. We have been looking at 2BR CO-OP's for $240,000. They want 25% down ($60,000) and Maintenence is $836.00/month
Wow ... $105,000 isn't exactly a lot down here (and we won't be spending NEARLY that much), but it'll buy a nice three or four bedroom.

One room is going to have the carpet ripped up, be refloored, have the walls redone, the window sealed, and a big-ass humidifier right in the center .... (yeah, right). I was told that I could use a converted closet, or finally build a fridge-idoor in the garage. :)

Fast4Dr said:
Maintenance is $836 a MONTH???

Geez!

Yes, a month. The place would have been about $1,200+/month mortgage and $836/month maint......grand total of just over $2,000/month

Wow shiju congratulations. Be glad you don't live in the DC area. It would make you shudder.

Fast4Dr said:
Yes, a month. The place would have been about $1,200+/month mortgage and $836/month maint......grand total of just over $2,000/month
That is freaking crazy.

We're looking at a 3 bdrm, $750 a month mortgage plus utilities.

I can't even rent a small basement studio for $750/mo around me...Those go for about $800-$900

Fast4Dr said:
I can't even rent a small basement studio for $750/mo around me...Those go for about $800-$900
Please god, remind me to never move to new york.

:p

Update: We're now looking at a $60,000 4 bedroom so that we can take out a $75,000 mortgage and pay off my truck. :)

Shuji said:
...or finally build a fridge-idoor in the garage. :)
you wont want that fridgador in the garage in the Texas heat. Cause you wont be running the compressor.

Congrats on the home approval :thumbs:

If you don't mind older homes, you might find one built ca. 1960 3-3-2 1600 sq ft in any of the surrounding towns :)

Yeah, that's what I'm in. Right in the middle of a bunch of retired folks :p Sure is quiet around here :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Sounds like $100,000 will buy a lot more house than it would in Michigan. Hmmm....., I wonder if I should consider relocating out of the poor economy here... :lookup:

$100,000 isn't terribly a lot here, but it's enough for now :)

As for the fridge, I'm going to rip out the compressor and replace it with a wine cooling system, so I will be keeping the smokes cool in the garage. :)

But if we get a house with a converted garage, it'll go in there.

Oh Gawd :0 Another mass exodus from Michigan.

Back during the last oil boom, about '81.. Michigan sent the most transplants to Texas than any other state. They heard about all the money to be made out in the oil patch. They came....and they went. Hard work and loooooong hours out there.

Were here, were not Texans, get over it!;) Actually, I was wondering how the IT and/or engineering markets are down there. Engineering as related to the automotive industry.

IT is dry as a bone here unless you can/will do about 3 jobs and get paid for one. The automotive engineering..dunno, there's a GM plant in Arlington...smack between Dallas and Fort Worth.

i can tell you anything manufacturing related
still sux. i am in the quality control field in as
much as blueprints, coordinate measuring
machines, etc. and all i've been able to able to
get is temp work at half salary. it seems to be
picking up, so we'll see. but as for now, i wouldn't
recommend texas.