• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To the vet smokers

Seanohue

Do you guys still get light-headed? I'm still only a few months into this hobby and today I smoked a Avo No.2 Maduro and got almost sick from it. This is the first one that has ever gotten me like that but do you guys ever get like that anymore or does it wear off?

It's harder and harder to find a stick that will do that to me. THANKFULLY :)

I have been smoking 4+ cigars/week for about three years now.

Some build a tolerance, some don't. It really just all depends on you. I'm no veteran by any means, but I only catch a buzz from cigars every once in awhile. However, a couple of guys I know who have been smoking for years still catch a nic buzz every time they smoke.

Try the full stomach thing or some sweet hard candy immediately following a smoke if you can. That should limit your sick feelings.

I consider myself a very casual smoker. maybe 1 or 2 cigars a month. I dont ever get light headed any more. i smoke on a empty stomach. Its very rare that a cigar will get to me. I can count all the experiences on 1 hand that I've been taken for a ride in 10 years. Ok ok...So I smoke more than 1 or 2 cigars a month. :laugh:

Best way to avoid this is have a full stomach and some handy sugar via candy bars or something. Also, if that doesnt work, just lay down like if you was dizzy and about to pass out. Elevate your feet and you will be good as new after doing that and eating some sugar. :thumbs:

I'm still a newbie and smoke around once a week so sometimes I get dizzy even on a full stomach. It really does help out a lot just to lay down and relax for a while. Ice water makes me feel a lot better.

It's nicotine sickness, as you might know.

The good thing is that like all addictive drugs, you build a tolerance (different people at different rates) while getting addicted to the drug. My advice is to just smoke what you like, it's a passing feeling, and chose your cigars appropriately, after a heavy meal smoke a heavier cigar, if you smoke at breakfast, smoke something lighter. And, never, EVER, smoke a Camancho Diademas :)

Just get as drunk as you can, that way you won’t be able to tell what is doing this to you ;)

No, but I'm tough and salty and would make a shark puke.

Doc.

Sure there are still sticks out there that can do it but I find it is more to do with having something in the stomach and how fast you smoke, not how strong the stick is itself.

That is what I'm looking for! With some of my cigars I can make my buddy almost pass out and I just keep puffing away. :D

Only happend twice.............well not light headed but I felt it in my stomache.The cigar was a legend churchill,my first legend at the time and I didnt get sick but I did feel it in my stomache.
The other I forgot.
When I get excited and smoked too fast,sometimes inhaleing,I get lightheaded.My lungs do not get the required amount of o2 and I get dizzy but that hasnt happend in some time...........well I inhaled an aged Anejo...churchill looking thing and felt like my lung collapsed and I was about too as well.

i was actually wondering the same thing... its especially with big cigars... my first was the anejo 46, got sick... and then i smoked a big LFD, had to put it down for the last 3rd, i almost puked but... yep.

It doesn't happen often but it does still happen. Usually when it does, it means:

1. I've smoked too quickly
2. I did not have even a little snack recently
3. I was dry and needed rehydrating
4. I didn't occasionally take a nice clear breath every few draws

All three are easy to address so nowadays, it's rare that I get the queasies.

Wilkey

im not a veteran but i do sometimes get lightheaded.

the last couple times was from a fonseca f series, perdermo reserve something something, and a slow aged 826.

i think the perdermo feeling carried onto the slow aged.
but i noticed that everytime i smoke alone, i tend to take more puffs with less breathing in between.
but when im with friends, i talk between puffs so it's slower.

because each of those cigars listed above was on a seperate day, versus last week when i smoked a pan 64, sancho panza extra fuerte, and a ramon allones within like 4-5 hours and didn't feel light headed one bit.

so in my case i figured that it's the breathing part.

It doesn't happen often but it does still happen. Usually when it does, it means:

1. I've smoked too quickly
2. I did not have even a little snack recently
3. I was dry and needed rehydrating
4. I didn't occasionally take a nice clear breath every few draws

All three are easy to address so nowadays, it's rare that I get the queasies.

Wilkey

Interesting tips. I haven't gotten light headed while smoking recently, except maybe when I smoked an Opus X during the July long weekend. Maybe it's the fact that I usually have a cigar after I've eaten, or maybe the cigars I'm choosing aren't all that overpowering. Needless to say, I'm not looking for that queasy feeling so I can't complain. :)

I believe I read somewhere that swallowing too much saliva while smoking can make you sick, too. Wouldn't hurt to spit every once in a while.

First time I smoked a cigar - A flor de oliva maduro torpedo - I got reeeeeeally sick, hah. I was down for hours. :laugh: I think I was a little overzealous and inhaled when I was trying to get the thing lit properly.

i smoke around nine cigars a week, and still get that feeling sometimes, mostly on an empty stomache, or if i smoke too fast with a strong 'gar, just like the other's have said. the only time i though i was going to actually be sick (drive the round white bus, making alot of left turns) was when i was smoking my first camacho, in a bedroom, with the door shut...no vintalation at all. i'd only been smoking about 6 months, and man, i thought my head was going to spin off...got the cold sweats and everything.
my tip i guess, is to sip a soda or something with alot of sugar in it with the smoke... i do this mostly b/c i like the way the flavors go together, but it also keeps one from getting that sickly feeling on a minor level. but as your taste develops, you'll be able to tell the warning signs of getting sick, and slow it down or whatever you need to do...at least thats the way it works for me...

sorry in advance for the speeling errors...and the overuse of elipsis...

It's only happened to me twice, although I am not a vet of cigar smoking (I smoke maybe 3 cigars a week). I usually don't feel anything if I'm hungry or haven't eaten, but I do feel it if I'm dehydrated.

It happened the 2nd time recently actually; since I quit smoking cigarettes last week and I guess my body wanted the nicotine but couldnt have it. I dunno how that works.

I'm not a vet, smoked cigars (standard hamlet [any supermarket]) for about 4 years (fairly infrequent though) and had one or two premium cigars (last christmas at the company night-out/meal my boss bought me a cuban :D ) and I was fine when smoking it (though I was pretty drunk :) ).

I usually take my time and enjoy a whisky on the rocks at the same time when smoking a cigar though. mmm.. makes me drool thinking about it.