• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's spelling tip

stevehawk said:
MiamiCubano said:
Let's not even touch on the many misuses of "affect" vs. "effect."
[snapback]245893[/snapback]​

or "ensure" vs. "insure"
[snapback]245943[/snapback]​

or "nice guy" vs. "fuktard" -- a common mistake!

PetersCreek said:
In order to alleviate confusion with these words and the concomitant stress their misusage causes, I suggest that we adopt the more, shall we say, rustic forms of these words.

Thahr (or thar) replaces there. The second h is optional but encouraged, as it serves as a phonetic indication that the lead-in to the trailing r should be lightly aspirated.

Them's replaces they're. Not to be confused with thems (no apostrophe) which is the possessive form. As in the case of its vs. it's, them's is the contraction of them is. Alternatively, them're (or more rarely, they'uns's) will also be acceptable.

Thuhr (or thur) replaces their. This fits in nicely with the other possessive pronouns: mine, yorn, his, her(s), thuhr(s) and its. As with thahr, the second h is optional but encouraged.
[snapback]245962[/snapback]​

haha...that's good stuff right there.

coventrycat86 said:
stevehawk said:
MiamiCubano said:

or "ensure" vs. "insure"

Ensure, insure and assure are interchangable in many contexts. Can you give examples of where they are not? (Other than "I gave my grampa his daily can of INSURE")
[snapback]245994[/snapback]​

According to Webster's:

"ENSURE, INSURE, and ASSURE are interchangeable in many contexts where they indicate the making certain or inevitable of an outcome, but INSURE sometimes stresses the taking of necessary measures beforehand, and ASSURE distinctively implies the removal of doubt and suspense from a person's mind."

Examples:

I can assure you that neither "ensure" nor "insure" could be interchanged with "assure" in this sentence.

You can insure a piece of property against theft, and you can assure me that it is safe if you leave it on the front porch. However, if left on the front porch unguarded, you cannot ensure that it is safe from theft.

Sic 'em!

KayakinBoy said:
Anyone else like there music?
[snapback]245964[/snapback]​

From the Better Than Ezra thread.

coventrycat86 said:
stevehawk said:
MiamiCubano said:

or "ensure" vs. "insure"

Ensure, insure, and assure are interchangable in many contexts. Can you give examples of where they are not? (Other than "I gave my grampa his daily can of INSURE")
[snapback]245994[/snapback]​

I don't know how he missed that one....musta been a miss steak.

I was gonna add something about ensuring my house, but it woulda been a mute point... :rolleyes:

hornetguy said:
I was gonna add something about ensuring my house, but it woulda been a mute point... :rolleyes:
[snapback]246180[/snapback]​

Mute.... I thought it was Moo point..... kinda like a cow's opinion..... doesn't mean much

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sometimes I am sooooo funny

But this isn't one of those times. ;)

BkCloud114 said:
Sometimes I am sooooo funny
[snapback]246192[/snapback]​

my big pet peeve is the use of letters for words- u for you... ne1 for anyone... crap like that. makes me think the persons level of smarts is not high enough to spell something out... but that's just me...

Swissy said:
my big pet peeve is the use of letters for words- u for you... ne1 for anyone... crap like that. makes me think the persons level of smarts is not high enough to spell something out... but that's just me...
[snapback]246208[/snapback]​

Ahhh but |337 spelling is the wave of the future! :p

the worst spelling faux pas (spelling checked on that one!) is when people decide that they don't want to spell the word probably. So instead they use the shortened term prolly.

This absolutely drives me nuts!! :angry2: :angry2:

Darren

or when they mutilate truisms, like "it's a doggy-dog world" .
Mixed metaphors can be funny, though. We could do a whold thread on those.

hornetguy said:
or when they mutilate truisms, like "it's a doggy-dog world" .
Mixed metaphors can be funny, though. We could do a whold thread on those.
[snapback]246228[/snapback]​

Aren't these also called "Malapropisms?" And isn't Yogi Berra the king of these?

Don't forget the use of further and farther

Most people use further in place of farther ???

I hate it when someone doesn't know the difference between weather and whether.
Weather is the condition outside folks.

though tho tough tuff the number 13 in place of the letter B