• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's spelling tip

hudsonvalley

MMMM...Ember
There....as in yonder.
They're....as in they are.
Their....as in not mine.

You're (not your) welcome :p

That is one of my pet peeves. I hate when people do not know how to use them properly.

caudio51 said:
That is one of my pet peeves. I hate when people do not know how to use them properly.
[snapback]245815[/snapback]​

Me to...

caudio51 said:

Me too... I mean, their so easy to remember and there not all that hard to remember.

So they're! :laugh:

Darren

caudio51 said:

I hate the fact that so many people misspell "ridiculous" (usually as "rediculous") -- c'mon people!

looky their? Shouldn't it be looky heir? :p

hudsonvalley said:
Today's spelling tip, looky their!

There....as in yonder.
Their....as in not mine.

You're (not your) welcome :p
[snapback]245798[/snapback]​

moki said:
caudio51 said:
That is one of my pet peeves.  I hate when people do not know how to use them properly.

I hate the fact that so many people misspell "ridiculous" (usually as "rediculous") -- c'mon people!
[snapback]245836[/snapback]​

that's ricockulous!

IgwanaRob said:
caudio51 said:
That is one of my pet peeves.  I hate when people do not know how to use them properly.

Me to...
[snapback]245833[/snapback]​

Iggy, that's pretty funny... :laugh:

Let's not even touch on the many misuses of "affect" vs. "effect."

MiamiCubano said:
[snapback]245893[/snapback]​

or "ensure" vs. "insure"

hudsonvalley said:
There....as in yonder.
Their....as in not mine.

In order to alleviate confusion with these words and the concomitant stress their misusage causes, I suggest that we adopt the more, shall we say, rustic forms of these words.

Thahr (or thar) replaces there. The second h is optional but encouraged, as it serves as a phonetic indication that the lead-in to the trailing r should be lightly aspirated.

Them's replaces they're. Not to be confused with thems (no apostrophe) which is the possessive form. As in the case of its vs. it's, them's is the contraction of them is. Alternatively, them're (or more rarely, they'uns's) will also be acceptable.

Thuhr (or thur) replaces their. This fits in nicely with the other possessive pronouns: mine, yorn, his, her(s), thuhr(s) and its. As with thahr, the second h is optional but encouraged.

stevehawk said:
MiamiCubano said:
[snapback]245893[/snapback]​

or "ensure" vs. "insure"
[snapback]245943[/snapback]​

Ensure, insure and assure are interchangable in many contexts. Can you give examples of where they are not? (Other than "I gave my grampa his daily can of INSURE")

How about...

Allstate has written a policy to insure my home.

Somehow, substituting ensure or assure just doesn't ring right.

No one has mentioned my favorite yet.

You cannot loose something. You can lose it, if you can't find it. And if it is not tight enough, then it is loose.

PetersCreek said:
How about...

Allstate has written a policy to insure my home.

Somehow, substituting ensure or assure just doesn't ring right.
[snapback]245997[/snapback]​
Yes but that one's pretty obvious that it's "insure" and only a moron like tonydogs would use assure or ensure in that sentence :laugh: . There are many cases where people substitute INSURE for ENSURE and while it may look funny, it's technically NOT wrong.

Now see what y'all have started. CC's on a roll you.....