• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tonic water recommendation

bluue13

Hey all,

Just figured I would share my discovery of a really good tonic water. I've been using the ol' generic grocery store brand diet tonic for a while and its gotten quite boring. As I was wandering the isles this past week I came upon Q Tonic and I have to say it is quite fantastic. I posted a link to it in the "Today's Smoke" forum but I figured why not post here too. In any case, I highly recommend it for your Gin or Vodka tonics or just plain ol' tonic with lime. So far my favorite has been using it for a Hendrick's & Tonic w/ cucumber garnish.

Enjoy!

I tend to use the regular ol' Schweppes... Very limited selection in these parts..

I haven't tried the Q yet, but Fever Tree is another excellent premium tonic. It's a bit sweeter than I'd prefer, though, so I'm trying the Q next. I understand it's made with agave syrup instead of sugar or HFCS.

~Boar

I tend to use the regular ol' Schweppes... Very limited selection in these parts..
Same here. Schweppes is my "go to" but honestly it never dawned on me that there are more hoity-toity tonic waters out there. Might have to run some down....:cool:

I haven't tried the Q yet, but Fever Tree is another excellent premium tonic. It's a bit sweeter than I'd prefer, though, so I'm trying the Q next. I understand it's made with agave syrup instead of sugar or HFCS.

~Boar

Yeah its definitely not too much on the sweet side. The agave adds just the right touch of sweetness. The good thing, for me anyway, is that its also not super heavy on the quinine- just the right amount.

Same here. Schweppes is my "go to" but honestly it never dawned on me that there are more hoity-toity tonic waters out there. Might have to run some down....:cool:

Definitely give it a try! I wasnt even aware of anything other than Schweppes or generic either until I stumbled upon it.

I have gone through literally hundreds of gallons of Schweps and Canada Dry and have never had it without Gin.

Pretty much Schweppes or pass for me. Canada Dry just doesn't mix well with Gin or Rum, IMHO.

Very curious to try the Q. Thanks for the link and suggestion. It would appear the local grocery carries it. Sweet!

*Edit: Speaking of Rum...too much of it has dinged my spelling. ARGH!!!

Here's a question. Any time I open a bottle of Tonic water, no matter how tight I seal the cap; the next time I use it, it is flat. Any way to reduce that?

Here's a question. Any time I open a bottle of Tonic water, no matter how tight I seal the cap; the next time I use it, it is flat. Any way to reduce that?

Drink more? Haha I have noticed that too, but I always try to store the bottle on its side so that the air pocket rests at the side of the bottle rather than where the cap is. I dont know if that really does anything but it seems to make mine last at least a little longer.

Schweppes makes a 10oz glass bottle of tonic they sell in a six pack. I have found it's a perfect amount for two Mt. Gay, tonic and lime cocktails. Cuts down on waste and it's still fresh when you come back to it.

If you have a larger plastic bottle, squeeze out as much air as you can then put the cap on. Seems to help a little.

Schweppes makes a 10oz glass bottle of tonic they sell in a six pack. I have found it's a perfect amount for two Mt. Gay, tonic and lime cocktails. Cuts down on waste and it's still fresh when you come back to it.

If you have a larger plastic bottle, squeeze out as much air as you can then put the cap on. Seems to help a little.

Exactly! :thumbs:

Those big 79¢ bottles look like the better deal, but if you have buy a new one everytime you want a drink, you haven't saved a dime over the glass sixpacks.

~Boar

Guess I'm not the only one, lol. I always buy the glass bottle sixer (of tonic or club soda) because the 1 liter bottles always go flat before I'm done using them.

I'm guessing Q and Fever Tree don't come in smaller bottles.

They do, actually---little four-packs, both of them. Each bottle is about 2-3 drinks worth (I think they're 7 oz. or so), depending on how big your glass is and how much of it is filled already . . . :whistling:

I use a doubles/rocks glass and mix mine about half and half, full rocks. Get two and change. At $6 or so a four-pack . . . *sigh*

But they really ARE good. The Fever Tree "Naturally Light" (no artificial sweetener) is my favorite.

~Boar

I might have to look and see if any of the local liquor stores carry it. I spend money for good gin...might as well get good tonic to match it.

Since reading this thread, I have looked for months and never found that Q stuff. Even the stores listed on their website never even heard of it!

Funny story....I catch the Schweppes guy stocking shelves at one of our local food stores a while back as I was buying tonic. He goes on to tell me that Schweppes bottles for quite a few private label supermarket brands! I couldn't believe he said that...weird. I still bought the Schweppes, but did buy a bottle the Shoprite & Vantage brand. We tasted them straight up and in a vodka tonic....I swear the Schweppes tasted better! Power of the preconceived notion!

Since reading this thread, I have looked for months and never found that Q stuff. Even the stores listed on their website never even heard of it!

Funny story....I catch the Schweppes guy stocking shelves at one of our local food stores a while back as I was buying tonic. He goes on to tell me that Schweppes bottles for quite a few private label supermarket brands! I couldn't believe he said that...weird. I still bought the Schweppes, but did buy a bottle the Shoprite & Vantage brand. We tasted them straight up and in a vodka tonic....I swear the Schweppes tasted better! Power of the preconceived notion!

If I can find it again in my local supermarket I'll send you some.