• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Top Cuban Cigars by Year

jfields

Where did all my money go?
I never gave it much thought until I had a conversation with Bill (@CigSid).
Tobacco is just like any other organic material that is grown. Wine has stellar and not so stellar years depending on several factors in a growing and harvest season.

I’m curious to see if anyone here has a list in order of what your favorite years of Cuban Tobacco are in order. 1 being your favorite year, and 2 being the next, so on and so forth?

I’m not looking for that 1950 Pre-Embargo cigar you were lucky enough to have recently smoked when you were born in 1985. More along the lines of...... “I’ve been smoking current production Cuban tobacco since 1998, and the top years for me are in this order 1. 2007 2. 2001 3. Etc.”

Not sure you can say one year is better for all marcas than another.....but I'll defer to those that know more than I do (which is probably just about anyone)....:)

Can someone explain how one year is better then another? And how do you know if your saving a box for extended periods of time?

Can someone explain how one year is better then another? And how do you know if your saving a box for extended periods of time?

"Tobacco is just like any other organic material that is grown. Wine has stellar and not so stellar years depending on several factors in a growing and harvest season."

Cuba Is having issues with the tobacco that was being used for recent production for example.

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/rains-in-cuba-cause-problems-for-harvested-tobacco

I've had some years that were great ROTT! Then others that tasted like horrible and left me with little hope. They always came around, but never as stellar as the ones that were great from the beginning.

Not sure if global warming/ weather patterns change has anything to do with tobacco but the maple syrup industry is getting crushed without the super low temps we used to get.
Trees produce more complex sugars with the colder temps.

I haven’t smoked enough Cubans to really have an idea of recent years.

I think this is a really fascinating subject. For the last three years in fact, I've been keeping a box of my 25 favorite smokes from the year as sort of a "time capsule" of not only what was smoking exceptionally well that year in my opinion, but also how my tastes have changed. Predictably, it makes a dramatic shift from a mix of NC and CC's to near 100% CC's now, but beyond keeping the box codes in a spreadsheet for personal reference, I doubt the sample size (or my palate for that matter) are readily equipped to answer the question above. :D Then again, I missed 2018 due to all sorts of crap. I may need to post a request to buy 25 random sticks that someone feels were the best in 2018. Then again from what you're saying, maybe I didn't miss too much. :D

Still, I'm very interested in this topic.

I don't really belong in this thread, but I do know that an '09 RASS I obtained from Kris and smoked in 2015 was f----ing phenomenal.

You guys have any thoughts on the quality of RASS over the years, recent releases in particular? If they're even close to the '09 I smoked I need to start laying down cabs.