• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tour de France

Tomorrow they are in the mountains, that will shift the boys from the men.

Rene
No, that will separate the big guys from the itty bitty skinny guys. :laugh:

Doc.

Eh, there should be a pretty large group that makes it to tomorrow's last climb together. The mountains will be the most interesting when early stage climbs really separate the field.

-Mark

edited to add. Khari, I'm game!!!

I think the time away from racing will really show for Lance in the mountains. I think it will be coming down that will be his test. Handling a bike and handling a bike during a race are 2 different things.

Tim

STAGE 7 Complete.

Position: 3rd (-8sec)

Last Stage completed: 7 • BARCELONA > ANDORRE ARCALIS • 224 km (6:11:31)

Next Stage: 8 • ANDORRE-LA-VIEILLE > SAINT-GIRONS • 176,5 km

Alberto Contador relaunched his bid for the 2009 yellow jersey on the first mountain stage of the Tour de France after taking back time previously lost to teammate Lance Armstrong..

Contador is 2nd at -6sec

sorry about the late update.....

Tim

I believe Lance was not amused when they interviewed him right after the stage.
We will see what happens in team Astana.

Rene

STAGE 8 Complete.

Position: 3rd (-8sec)

Last Stage completed: 8 • ANDORRE-LA-VIEILLE > SAINT-GIRONS • 176,5 km (4:31:50)

Next Stage: Stage 9 • SAINT-GAUDENS > TARBES • 160,5 km

Nocentini will go into the third and final day of racing in the Pyrenees on Sunday with a six-second lead on pre-race favourite Alberto Contador of Astana, the 2007 champion.
Seven-time champion Lance Armstrong, also of Astana, is third overall at 08sec while two of their main rivals, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans, are 1min 49sec and 3:07 behind respectively.

Contador is 2nd at -6sec

Stage 9 live today!!!!

Tim

I think Lance'll put some distance between them at Annecy, then he'll just stay on Contador's wheel all the way to Mont Ventoux.

I've been following it closely this year for the first time. My cable provider carries Versus channel (but not in high def). Luckily, I have the DVR since there there is only about 1 hour of racing content on a 3 hour show. They have free streaming on their website for those interested.

I saw Armstrong quoted as saying viewership was up 80% this year.

Versus schedule

Now to go tune up the bike.

I like Lance and his presence at the Tour de France certainly generates much interest in cycling. However, I also think that Lance Armstrong may only be the fourth strongest rider on his team. Granted, Lance is still one of the top riders in the world.

I'd really like to see him win some other of cycling's great events. Maybe then I will consider him not just the greatest Tour de France champion ever but the greatest cyclist ever. Also, think of the enthusiasm he'd be able to generate for the sport!

-Mark

Contador dominated the field today. Lance should accept his place as #2 on his own team.

American media coverage is biased.

-Mark

edited to add. And saying Lance is #2 on his own team is being nice.

Contador dominated the field today. Lance should accept his place as #2 on his own team.

-Mark

Contador never bought into the rivalry being played out in the press....he let his riding do the talking and today's performance said it all!

Let's see if Armstrong can pull this one out now.

-Mark

Contador never bought into the rivalry being played out in the press....he let his riding do the talking and today's performance said it all!

Lance Concedes

"I'm gonna do my best and be a solid teammate."- Armstrong

-Mark

-Mark

Lance Concedes

-Mark
I just saw this interview with Armstrong on ESPN SportsCenter...the words didn't really come out that easily for him, like pulling teeth. It was quite funny to watch. Also, when Contador broke away, Armstrong didn't really do that good of a job holding back the next group trying to catch him, he said he didn't have anything left...OK Lance :whistling:

When you preach team work, you have to practice what you preach. We'll see what happens on the next stage...should be interesting.

-Mark

Lance Concedes

-Mark
I just saw this interview with Armstrong on ESPN SportsCenter...the words didn't really come out that easily for him, like pulling teeth. It was quite funny to watch. Also, when Contador broke away, Armstrong didn't really do that good of a job holding back the next group trying to catch him, he said he didn't have anything left...OK Lance :whistling:

When you preach team work, you have to practice what you preach. We'll see what happens on the next stage...should be interesting.

Of course the words didn't come easily to him. Lance entered the Tour de France this year because he honestly believed that he could win. Ever since the start of the Tour, he's been eating humble pie. First, he had to apologize to the past Tour winners he made fun of because, once he hit a tough day, he realized the Tour was actually a tough race. Now he's conceded that he's not the strongest rider on his team. To make things worse, I don't know that, with Astana's original lineup, he was any better than the third best rider on his team to begin with.

Bradley Wiggens is an excellent story. I'm very happy for him. He's one of those characters that was so turned off by the culture of doping that existed within road cycling that he just didn't want to participate in the sport. He stuck to the track. In the past years, as he noticed that clean riders like Christian Vande Velde stood a solid chance in this sport to actually win overall, he decided that he would compete.

I'm not anti-Lance. He's the Tour de France's greatest champion even if it could been proven that he doped in his heyday. I just couldn't understand the Big Texan's brash arrogance towards the rest of the peloton.

Hey, we still have a lot of Tour in front of us. Keep on watchin'.

All My Best,

Mark

Guys,

I am sorry that I dropped the ball on the updates, but I have been crazy busy at work all week.
I will get hings back on track this week. I have not even be able to catch the highlights of the TdF since stage 9.....

Tim

Man I hated to see Lance like that. Like most others, he should have stayed out while he was on top. He was still a great champion in his day.

Brandon