• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tour de France

Ok, so where are we at....

Stage 15 in the books
Winner: Contador

Standings:
1. Contador
2. Armstrong - 1:37
3. Wiggins - 1: 46

Today was a rest day, and tomorrow they start Stage 16

MARTIGNY > BOURG-SAINT-MAURICE • 159 km

Armstrong is already sounding defeated and Wiggins has no faith in himself.
It was a crappy blow when Levi fell and broke his wrist.

There is a lot of action left, a fall or equipment failure could change everything.

Tim

OK as it stands now there is about 35k left in stage 16

Armstrong,Contador and Wiggins are 2:50 behind the chase group that is about 15 seconds behind the break away.....

Will give the recap after it is over.

Tim

OK as it stands now there is about 35k left in stage 16

Armstrong,Contador and Wiggins are 2:50 behind the chase group that is about 15 seconds behind the break away.....

Will give the recap after it is over.

Tim

Mikel Astarloza of Spain won the 16th stage, a 99-mile route from the Swiss town of Martigny to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. Contador and Armstrong finished in the main pack behind Astarloza and other breakaway riders.

Contador, the 2007 Tour winner from Spain, fought off an attack led by brothers Andy and Frank Schleck of Luxembourg in the day’s second big climb.

“We had expected (an attack) and I gave my maximum. I could resist but not without difficulty,” Contador said. “I’m happy after this difficult day.”

OK, Stage 17 is done, and turned out to be a great finish, lots of excitment.

Frank Schleck won the 17th stage of the Tour de France in the ski resort of Le Grand Bornand as Alberto Contador cemented his grip on the yellow jersey.

I think the real story i s 2 days in a row Lance has mounted some amazing climbs and finishes. He is looking a lot stronger that I thought he would.
Even though he will fall to 4th in the overall, he is looking strong going into the ITT tomorrow.

My heart bleeds for Wiggins right now, he really is giving everything he has, and he will fall deep into the top 10 after today's climbs.

Tim

Just saw this thread, i think it's been a pretty good tour this year. Being from Austin, I really wanted to see Lance come back in style and win, but I have to say it is refreshing to see him being a good teammate. Contador is strongest by a good margin, and further cemented that with the TT stage win today. Wearing that yellow jersey can make a man a much different rider!

I'm really looking forward to the race for the 2-3-4 spots.

Alberto Contador stayed in command with two days of racing left at the Tour de France while teammate Lance Armstrong remained in third place.

Mark Cavendish of Britain captured Friday’s 19th stage in a sprint finish, his fifth stage victory in this Tour. Cavendish edged Thor Hushovd of Norway and Gerald Ciolek of Germany on the relatively flat, 111-mile ride from Bourgoin-Jallieu to Aubenas. They all finished in 3 hours, 50 minutes, 35 seconds.

Armstrong, the seven-time champion, had the same time. He trimmed four seconds off his deficit to Contador and second-place Andy Schleck of Luxembourg.

Contador leads Schleck overall by 4:11 and Armstrong by 5:21 entering the last big stage—Saturday’s 104-mile ride from Montelimar to a punishing finish up the famed Mont Ventoux.

Race ends Sunday, just not enough time for Lance to pull of a victory.

Tim

Well, I had midnight shift last night, and sleep through the last stage.....

Tim

Lost in our disappointment of Lance's defeat is he tied the record for most podium finishes with 8. The fellow he tied has no wins. Evidently, the Mark Martin of cycling. :p Wait 'til next year!

Doc.

Lost in our disappointment of Lance's defeat is he tied the record for most podium finishes with 8. The fellow he tied has no wins. Evidently, the Mark Martin of cycling. :p Wait 'til next year!

Doc.

Third at the Tour de France, especially coming out of retirement, is absolutely brilliant!

-Mark

Doc.

Third at the Tour de France, especially coming out of retirement, is absolutely brilliant!

-Mark

Lance did a brilliant job, having said that, Contador is in a leauge of his own at the moment!

Rene

Fantastic Tour this year. Can't remember enjoying one so much in years. Of course HD makes a huge difference. Congrats to Alberto. It's hard to imagine him not breaking Lance's record albeit not consecutively. He'll need a strong team though and that is anything but assured at this point. Vinokourov is coming back to Astana and Johan is leaving so I expect Alberto will cross to another team. Look for Levi Leipheimer and George Hincapie to join Lance at Radio Shack and I imagine Johan will direct as well. Once again Lance will have the best team in Le Tour.

Doc.

-Mark

Lance did a brilliant job, having said that, Contador is in a leauge of his own at the moment!

Rene

I agree with you 100%. Let's remind everybody that Contador has also won the Vuelta and Giro, as well. Contador has already established himself as one of the great champions and he is only 26! Truly, watching him in the years to come will be true joy.

I'm really interested to see how Lance will perform next year. I don't think he had the right form. I want to see Lance v. Alberto when they are actually on different teams and both fit! Still, I'd have a hard time placing any bets against Contador...

-Mark

Doc.

-Mark

Rene

I agree with you 100%. Let's remind everybody that Contador has also won the Vuelta and Giro, as well. Contador has already established himself as one of the great champions and he is only 26! Truly, watching him in the years to come will be true joy.

I'm really interested to see how Lance will perform next year. I don't think he had the right form. I want to see Lance v. Alberto when they are actually on different teams and both fit! Still, I'd have a hard time placing any bets against Contador...

-Mark

Lance and Johan Bruyneel are a strong team, the should not be underestimated next year!
(I hope that my fellow country man Robert Geesink will do well , he broke his wrist this year)

Rene

Rene

Just builds the drama for next year's tour. You think this year's tour was popular? Wait til '10