• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Robusto Extra....A Review

doohnibor

"Robber of the Poor"
I just received my first order of Trinidad Robusto Extras (RE), as well as some Coloniales a couple of days ago. As part of a pre-Thanksgiving Day herf I was about to attend with a couple of friends, I decided I would take this opportunity to give the RE a try.

First, a couple of observations:

---The RE is 6 1/8 x 50 (a perfect sized cigar for my taste)
---The color (a rich milk chocolate) is much different than the Coloniale (which is more of a golden brown with an amber hue) made this cigar look absolutely delicious.
---It was firm to the touch, not mushy or over filled and hard
---The wrapper was perfect (no blemishes, veins or other "beauty" marks)

With that said, this cigar held much promise and raised my expectations.

Before we left my house, we decided to have a smoke and catch up a little. I poured some port for my friends and water for myself (I wanted nothing to get in the way of the experience with the RE). We then ajourned to the patio.

As I put the torch to it, I couldn't help but look at the cigar and appreciate how perfect it looked. It was an exquisite specimen. The light was easy and uneventful. The burn was perfect from start to finish. The cigar threw off plenty of rich smoke (despite being FOT) and had a perfect draw.

I had hoped for more strength (it's a solid medium), but the fact that it didn't come off as a full strength cigar didn't disappoint.

The flavors were a very interesting mix. It started off with a lightly roasted coffee flavor and quickly turned spicy. First with a slight cinnamon flavor, then a more potent ginger taste and then finally ramping up to a full out pepper flavor (that literally felt prickly in the mouth). The flavors and quickness of speed in which the flavors turned made this a very enjoyable experience.

I worked hard to not draw on the cigar too often or too hard, so as to avoid any possible "overheating". Fortunately the cigar never turned hot and I was able to nub it!

Overall, this was a very good cigar and I'd highly recommend it. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give the RE a solid 9. I'm now looking forward to trying the Coloniale (which I'll probably do later this weekend).

Simply, a perfect start to the Thanksgiving weekend!!!

AS A SIDE NOTE: While we were basking in our monent and were all full of ourselves, enjoying our cigars, drinks, friendships, and talking about our families and plans for Thanksgiving, my young daughter comes out to the patio in her pajamas, all ready for bed and gives us each a hug and wishes us all a good night and then------- as she's walking away she says to me-----"daddy, your cigar is stinky"!!!!! Well, after we all stopped laughing, we realized that .......at that moment all was right in our worlds and as it should be!!!

:)

Great review. Imagine how nice these will be with some age on them :)

Nice review!

I got around to smoking one last night....Had to be one of the best constructed cigars I have had. A bit more mild than expected, and perhaps a bit of aging will do them some good, but probably destined to be a great one!

Great review and sounds like a great cigar! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Sam

I agree with you guys that these will age nicely. If they pick up some strength....watch out!!!

:thumbs:

If this cigar is the one I think it is, it is wonderful!

OOps, never mind, wrong cigar...sorry guys!

I'll have to pick up a couple to try once they become a little more available. Thanks for the great review. :)