• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Robusto Extra (Cuba)

EzTheFix

Trinidad Robusto Extra (Cuba)
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Cuban Trinidad cigars have to be one of the world's most mystifying brands. Long famed to be the Cuban government's preferred gift to foreign state visitors and emissaries, the brand has since gone commercial and offers three main formats: The Fundadores, the Coloniales and the Reyes. A more recent addition, the Robusto Extra is the largest of them all.

There is no doubt at a glance that this Robusto Extra is a very well put together cigar. From the delicate wrapper, the pigtail cap, and the overall feel, you know that it is a premium brand indeed. The pre-light aroma is of very light buttery and cacao notes.

Because of the lightness, I expected a very mild smoke, and I was right. A quick light revealed an aromatic smoke with all so subtle notes of a semi-sweet woody and nutty character. I found, however, no trace of spice or even a tingle, which sort of separates this cigar from the other Cuban cigar brands.

The first third is very faint. This cigar can definitely not be paired up with single malt. It took an entire two inches of very even burn, before the smoke began to develop any complexity. The ash held up very nicely and the burn was impeccable.

Sadly, though, by the time I began to find the smoke interesting, the cigar began to have combustion problems and a bitter taste began to out do the aroma and taste of the tobacco. Make no mistake, it is a fine cigar, but in the end I found it too light-bodied for my taste.

I can not see how the cigar would improve any with age. Factoring in the price of this cigar as well, I would not recommend it unless perhaps to a smoker of very light-bodied cigars with a large overflowing wallet.

I've heard the Robusto Extra is the worst of the Trinidads, I don't know I've never had one. I do know however, that the Fundadores and Reyes are some of my favorite Cubans. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. :(

Great review. :thumbs: Surprisingly Robusto Extra is a mild smoke & I heard a lot not so good reviews about it. Never have one before though & I don't think I will ever buy it. For that kind of price I think I better get Cohiba Robusto.

On the other hand, I like Reyes a lot. For me, it does have a very similar profile to Cohiba Siglo I.

Because of the lightness, I expected a very mild smoke, and I was right. A quick light revealed an aromatic smoke with all so subtle notes of a semi-sweet woody and nutty character. I found, however, no trace of spice or even a tingle, which sort of separates this cigar from the other Cuban cigar brands.

The first third is very faint. This cigar can definitely not be paired up with single malt. It took an entire two inches of very even burn, before the smoke began to develop any complexity. The ash held up very nicely and the burn was impeccable.

Sadly, though, by the time I began to find the smoke interesting, the cigar began to have combustion problems and a bitter taste began to out do the aroma and taste of the tobacco. Make no mistake, it is a fine cigar, but in the end I found it too light-bodied for my taste.

I can not see how the cigar would improve any with age. Factoring in the price of this cigar as well, I would not recommend it unless perhaps to a smoker of very light-bodied cigars with a large overflowing wallet.

This describes my experience with the Coloniales. Just did nothing for me. Now the Fundadores...that is different story altogether. Great review, BTW. Keep'em coming. :thumbs:

I second that, great review.

I thought being that size it would be more of a powerhouse, but this sounds like the review I always read about the R&J Churchills.

Nate

OK, I must be the only crazy one in the room ;) The one I had I loved. It was definitely on the young side and got a little bitter towards the end. But before they happeend I really enjoyed it. I agree it's not a powerhouse, but I found it to be far from mild and complex in it's own way. Loved the flavor.

OK, I must be the only crazy one in the room ;) The one I had I loved. It was definitely on the young side and got a little bitter towards the end. But before they happeend I really enjoyed it. I agree it's not a powerhouse, but I found it to be far from mild and complex in it's own way. Loved the flavor.

You're not crazy...this cigar just matches your palate. I did not match mine. I have read some reviews of this cigar from folks that absolutely loved it. You, I assume would be among them. :thumbs: That's the great thing about the variety of cigars on the market...something for everyone.

Very true! :D
And Ez, I didn't mention it before, but thanks for the review. And I more than agree with you about the price!

The RE is fast becoming one of my favorite cigars. You may want to revisit this amazingly complex if subtle stick sometime in the future Ez. I actually find them to be a pretty good value too considering some of my other favorites are Esplendidos and Siglo V & VI.

In my opinion the RE has none of the Trinidad flavor profile that the other 3 in the line has. They are mild and boring to me. The Reyes, Coloniales and Fundadores are all fantastic smokes, and I stock all three.

EZ very nice review yet so opposite to my experience with this Trini. Although I do have quite limited experience with these, the exuberant pricing doesn't help either, this is one of my favorite medium blend Habanos by far. I have been moving into more complex flavors and stronger blends more and more yet I find this one to be satisfying in the flavor complexity and it's specific Trinidad milder taste. The construction, burn and draw is by exceptional and IMO opinion a perfect complement to my liking to the rest of the line up of my favs Reyes & Coloniales. I have to revisit my experience with RE and report back ASAP to defend the colors of one of my favs. :)