• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trouble for a newbie

gardkarlsen

Hi

I'm a real newbie in the cigar field but all of a sudden I have gotten an interest for it so I'm learning slowly :) But the other day there was an occasion to celebrate so I bought a 3 pack of Montecristo (costing close to 100 USD here in Norway) and I shared this with a couple of friends. So in the evening (after a few beers and wine) we lit them up. First of all they were huge and we soon discovered that this would take a lot of time. So we were standing outside the bar (as you are not allowed to smoke inside in Norway) and people were staring at us as it is not that common to smoke such big cigars around here I guess. When we were done we went into the bar but all of a sudden I was struck by a sudden feeling of being nauseous and dizzy and even my fingertips were prickling. In the end I had to leave the party to go home and sleep it of. Maybe I inhaled too much of the smoke...I don't know. But that no. 2 sure left me dizzy :blush:

Funniest moment of the evening was when a guy came out of the bar for a cigarette and he took one glance at us and said "Oh Montecristo no. 2...that's a good cigar". We were very impressed as he only took a glance at us and he was a couple of meters away. Respect :cool:

Obviously an opinion, but inhaling a cigar is never a good idea. It will affect how you perceive the flavor and complexity of the cigar also. If you can, I would not inhale anymore.

If you're not too accustomed to nicotine I'd say that is a normal reaction. I'm sure the alcohol can only make the effect worse.

Hi

I know I'm not supposed to inhale :blush: But when I was standing next to my friends I got their exhaling smoke in my face and sooner or later you do inhale some of the smoke. Well, that is my theory at least :whistling:

The sickness you felt is due to a depression in blood glucose due to the high nicotine dose. A similar thing happened to me with a Monte Edmundo. The cure is to smoke stronger cigars on a full stomach, sip on something sweet during the smoke, and, if the sickness hits you, quickly drink or eat something with a high sugar content. A few packets of sugar, a Coca Cola, or a candy bar can make the feeling go away in maybe fifteen minutes.

At least you didn't pass out on your feet outside of the bar.

I've still got a scar on my chin from when I passed out immediately after standing up while drunkenly chain-smoking too many cigarettes as a high schooler. When I got home to my parents, likely faintly reeking of cheap keg beer and general foolishness with a fresh cut on my face, I told them I had injured myself playing volleyball at the park. Upon retrospect, I don't think they believed me.

Sick on Monte #2, LOL...don't go near and Opus X.

Brian

It's alright Gard... we all stumble a bit when we're newbies...

Happened to me with a Rocky Patel the Edge Maduro, I was enjoying it sitting down and relaxing on the porch one evening... all the way to the end and when I got up, the Dizziness got me... plus, i was on a full stomach... next time I'll have the Cola handy. :)

Best of luck on your next cigar!

It's alright Gard... we all stumble a bit when we're newbies...

Happened to me with a Rocky Patel the Edge Maduro, I was enjoying it sitting down and relaxing on the porch one evening... all the way to the end and when I got up, the Dizziness got me... plus, i was on a full stomach... next time I'll have the Cola handy. :)

Best of luck on your next cigar!

Got me on the same one.

I've been doin one a day or so for years and I just got a buzz the other day off a RyJ Reserve Maduro Belicoso. Not bad enough to get sick but more than I wanted. Still a nice smoke though.

The lining of your mouth and your tongue absorb quite a bit of nicotine during a cigar. Even if you're used to a particular cigar, smoking a lot more of it than you normally do for a longer time will absorb more nic. Add to that if you're on an empty stomach, and the recipe is complete for a buzz. Couple that with a few drinks and a few inhales don't seem so bad. till the brown monster grabs the back of your head!

I didn't know about the sugar thing, thanks for the tip. I can no longer smoke in a restaurant in Chicago but if I'm ever at a party and I try something new I'll keep the sweets nearby.

I am still a lightweight after smoking for 3 years or so....hence my screen name.

edit: ok, I am a semi-lightweight, I have built up a decent tolerance in the last year or so.

Sick on Monte #2, LOL...don't go near and Opus X.

Brian
It's kind of weird how things affect you. I didn't get sick at all from an Opus X No. 5 I smoked, but I got really sick from a Griffin once.

Hi Welcome to CP!

1) DON'T INHALE!!

2) Smoke slower, and take deep breaths of fresh air (lol) in between puffs. I always try to do the one puff a min thing and purge on every 5-6 puff.

3) Enjoy a beverage with a bit of sugar in it while smoking.

4) Eat something before smoking, even if its a little snack.

Monti #2 are full bodied smokes. You probably have been used to Mild-Medium bodied. I know when I get into a full bodied smoke, I get the dizzy feeling. Lots of water would cure that.

Definitely don't let this one experience shy you away from the Monti #2. It's one of the best smokes out there. You just have to show it respect when you smoke it.

Andrew

What you experienced has a nickname in some circles................Cuban Vertigo.

As stated above it is a reaction to the nicotine you took in and probably has nothing to do with the folks around you. Do you keep the cigar in your mouth by chance? If so your saliva is interacting with the tobacco and it becomes a nicotine bomb. You do that for a while, then inadvertantly swallow it with a sip of your beverage of choice and boom......sweats, nausea, tingling etc. Even if you don't keep it in your mouth the smoke you take in is imparting the nicotine to your saliva. That's how the nuicotine gets into your stomach.

I am a serious lightwieght even afetr doing this for 20 years. Certain cigars with a lot of nicotine get me when I am not careful.

Here's a tip or three from someone who has lost his dinner more than I'd like to admit.

Drink sugared cola with your cigar. Sugar counteracts the effects of the nicotine. I have heard of folks who feel the effects coming on who have taken a tablespoon of sugar, placed it under the tounge, and just allow it to dissolve. They say this helps, but I can't confirm or deny.

Once you learn what a "heavy" cigar is, only smoke them after a meal. A nicotine heavy cigar and an empty stomach is a combination that is a recipe for disaster.

Always try to have a beverage when you smoke. Even if you are pounding water the amount of liquid you take in will help to "cut" the nicotine. As above, sugared drins are best but ALWAYS have something on hand to drink.......and a two finger pour of scotch doesn't count. I LOVE to enjoy a good cigar with a pour of bourbon over some ice cubes, but I ALWAYS have a pint or so of water along for the ride.

Happens to the best of us :)

I keep a few packs of nerds handy for just this reason.

At least you didn't pass out on your feet outside of the bar.

I've still got a scar on my chin from when I passed out immediately after standing up while drunkenly chain-smoking too many cigarettes as a high schooler. When I got home to my parents, likely faintly reeking of cheap keg beer and general foolishness with a fresh cut on my face, I told them I had injured myself playing volleyball at the park. Upon retrospect, I don't think they believed me.

Volleyball...hmm.... I guess that beats mine of trying to help and old lady change a tire.

Gard......I've been smoking cigars for many years and I'll never forget the first time I smoked a VSG when they first came out. I went out to lunch with a cigar buddy to a Portuguese place and did it up...flaming shit on a sword with beef and seafood and lots of wine. But we smoked a good hour later and about a quarter into the stick, I thought I took a hit of acid! Granted, the large amount of alcohol may have played a part in it but God knows how many times I've done that already without incident.

Sometimes the Moon and the Stars don't quite line up right and it happens.

If I were you, I'd laugh about it...makes for a great story for your friends to bust your balls about for many years to come.

A lot of good advice here...something that I didn't see mentioned - Most cigars are strongest in the last third. The leaves with the most nicotine are rolled into the "head" end of the cigar as part of the blending.

So...if you start to feel a bit woozy, best to stop. It won't get better and will probably get much worse. I often only smoke little more than 1/2 of the cigar (by length). I am nicotine sensitive and it doesn't take much to put me over the edge.

Smoking on a full stomach is a must.