• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tunneling Cigars

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
So are there any contributing factors to tunneling besides bad construction? Seems like every other cg4 I get tunnels like a mofo. It pisses me off because these are by far my favorite smokes. I can't recall other sizes having the same issues, so maybe I just need to switch it up.

I know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, but dammit, these smokes are awesome when they're on.

Anyone else having these issues? Does cut or lighting method contribute? I can't imagine they do as I cut and light all of my cigars the same way.

Disappointed. :(

-John

John,

I have had a very bad time, as well, with tunnelling Illusiones. Once you get them, they need to be put into a stable environment for a minimum of 3 weeeks. This is for them to mechanically stabilize. In addition, if you are going to smoke one, get it down to a 60% environment for a few weeks as well. To me, these smokes are best(Flavors) at the lower end of accepted storage humidity. Finally, you have to smoke these taking very gentle puffs. I mean as light as possible. I sip anyway, two very light puffs to get the cherry red, and then the business puff, still very light and just enough to get the smoke into your mouth. For these tunnellers, I have to be extra careful, etc,

When all else fails, I lightly pinch the cigar behind the cherry, to help ignition on the whole end of the stick.

I have complained about this for years. By far my top 3 favorite smokes. For the money these cost, they should always be spot on.

This happened to me with two of the L'Esprit de Vérité Robusto. I had to toss one a quarter of the way in and the second half way through. Very disappointing.

John,

I have had a very bad time, as well, with tunnelling Illusiones. Once you get them, they need to be put into a stable environment for a minimum of 3 weeeks. This is for them to mechanically stabilize. In addition, if you are going to smoke one, get it down to a 60% environment for a few weeks as well. To me, these smokes are best(Flavors) at the lower end of accepted storage humidity. Finally, you have to smoke these taking very gentle puffs. I mean as light as possible. I sip anyway, two very light puffs to get the cherry red, and then the business puff, still very light and just enough to get the smoke into your mouth. For these tunnellers, I have to be extra careful, etc,

When all else fails, I lightly pinch the cigar behind the cherry, to help ignition on the whole end of the stick.

I have complained about this for years. By far my top 3 favorite smokes. For the money these cost, they should always be spot on.

I thought you only shared that move with Clint.

Man, he's gonna be pissed.

John, could be a bad roll or stability.

Also, climate in which you are smoking and speed at which you're drawing.

Most often I've had a loose spot in the cigar.

I wonder if cut doesn't play into it, too. I lit up another cg4 tonight (bought two the last time I was in the B&M) after cutting it circumcision style. The smoke quickly developed a black spot in the middle of the cherry and seemed like it was on it's way to tunneling. I recut farther down below the shoulder, even with the gauge on the cigar and it seems to have cleared up. I wonder if leaving a lot of the shoulder in place concentrates the draw to the center of the smoke?

I'm also trying lighter puffs. I keep 60% beads in my travel humidor where I keep these. I only buy one or two at a time and smoke them within a few days (budget/wife constraints) so letting them sit for 3 weeks is an unlikely option.

Thanks for the ideas, though, guys.

I've had 3 so far and all of them have tunneled and all three were under-filled.

Great tasting smokes, but the rollers need some more practice.

The only Illusione I smoke any more are the F9 and the 68, both of which I circumsize. In fact, I circumsize 99% of the cigars I smoke. I don't recall having tunneling issues very often. Are these recent iterations of Illusiones that you are experiencing the tunneling, or have you had it occur since you've been smoking them?

Like Moe, I smoke mostly the f9's and 68's. I haven't had any tunneling. I store my cigars in the Aristocrat where the humidity ranges from 64-66%. The 68's also go into my car travel 5ct humi where there is a 69% Boveda in there. All have smoked fine.

We are talking about the cg4s gentlemen, not any of the other Illusione cigars.

I have read that different cuts provide different results. The airflow through a punch cut on certain cigars can create a jet engine effect causing the center of the cigar to burn hotter than the outside. Not sure about the validity of this and the information I read does not pertain only to punch/bullet cutters

I have read that different cuts provide different results. The airflow through a punch cut on certain cigars can create a jet engine effect causing the center of the cigar to burn hotter than the outside. Not sure about the validity of this and the information I read does not pertain only to punch/bullet cutters

Crap. Sorry my iPhone tricks me into double posting. :(

I have seen several references to cutting off a full cap over the years. Kingantz uses a punch a lot, ask him. I have always liked a full cut best, so in this particular case, the full cut still resulted in 10 dollar tobacco straws.

Just smoked another CG4 from my '08 box and this one had little tunnels also. Not sure if this was how the first half of the box went, but FWIW, don't think I'll be chasing down this size too soon once the rest are done.
I keep these with the rest of my Illusione stock in my humi and the rest all smoke fine.
I'm leaning toward inexperienced rollers.

I smoked a La Aurora Barrel Aged last night and like every other Barrel Aged I've had, in several vitolas, it tunneled very quickly. I'm convinced its the wrapper on these. Could the cg:4's wrapper just be different than the rest of the Illusione line?

I smoked a La Aurora Barrel Aged last night and like every other Barrel Aged I've had, in several vitolas, it tunneled very quickly. I'm convinced its the wrapper on these. Could the cg:4's wrapper just be different than the rest of the Illusione line?

Can you explain how the wrapper is the cause of the tunneling? Tunnels is usually air pockets in the filler. The tunnels could be from several things. One thing is the cigar is under filled. Another factor is the cigar roller not paying attention when bunching the filler up. I forgot the name of the gadget they use to put the filler in which presses the tobacco together. This could contribute to cigars having tunnelings. But I can't see how the wrapper has anything to do with tunneling since you would normally have a binder holding the filler together.

Can you explain how the wrapper is the cause of the tunneling? Tunnels is usually air pockets in the filler. The tunnels could be from several things. One thing is the cigar is under filled. Another factor is the cigar roller not paying attention when bunching the filler up. I forgot the name of the gadget they use to put the filler in which presses the tobacco together. This could contribute to cigars having tunnelings. But I can't see how the wrapper has anything to do with tunneling since you would normally have a binder holding the filler together.
I find it difficult to believe that a cigar with a ligero wrapper and mostly seco and volado binder and filler would not have a tendency to tunnel. The volado leaves just have better combustion and would burn faster, creating tunneling, I'd imagine. Oliva gave up on making the Cain line all ligero because they couldn't get it to burn right. Depending on any blend, I'd think the mix of the three would affect the cigar's burn properties. I may be totally off-base though, just a theory.

I find it difficult to believe that a cigar with a ligero wrapper and mostly seco and volado binder and filler would not have a tendency to tunnel. The volado leaves just have better combustion and would burn faster, creating tunneling, I'd imagine. Oliva gave up on making the Cain line all ligero because they couldn't get it to burn right. Depending on any blend, I'd think the mix of the three would affect the cigar's burn properties. I may be totally off-base though, just a theory.

I smoked a Diamond Crown Julius Caeser Churchill with plenty of tunnels in the filler. The last 1 1/2" didn't have a tunnel in it. I smoked a Opus X over the weekend that had some tunnels in the filler. I had the VSG Eclipse that had tunnels in the filler. Another cigar I smoked over the weekend tunneled. I can't remember if it was the AF King or Queen B.

I think you get the idea by now. It happens in many different cigars that cover the cheap price to the most expensive. It also covers many types of tobacco.

If what you say would be true, that would mean the entire cigar would have a tunnel through it. From start to finish. I've only seen one cigar do this and it was a ESG Churchill and I did a review on it. Bashed it all to Hell and back. Long before you was a member on CP. :p

Not saying that pockets in the filler aren't the major factor, just that the combustion qualities of the leaves themselves can contribute as well.
ETA:
If what you say would be true, that would mean the entire cigar would have a tunnel through it. From start to finish. I've only seen one cigar do this and it was a ESG Churchill and I did a review on it. Bashed it all to Hell and back. Long before you was a member on CP. :p
I'm not saying there's a tunnel through the entire cigar, I'm saying an oily ligero wrapper and possibly binder might not burn as quickly as seco and volado filler within the cigar.

CG:4's tunneling. I thought it was just me. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I have found these burn better when I keep them at a lower humidity (60-62%). I also make it a point to puff on these a little more slowly than the average smoke.

Gavin: I get what you're trying to explain, but a burn like that would not have you drawing air and very little smoke through the cigar. That's the critical aspect of tunneling that ruins the smoke. What you describe would probably result in a bad smoke, too, but for other reasons.

John