• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Turning down bad cigars

Its my brother and law and sisters place.. So I know him and everyone well. After talking to my sister they where partially messing with me with the black and mild. From what I understand they where hoping I had some premium cigars on me.. so guess I learned a lesson of I should be bringing one of my travel humi with me.

Thanks all for more insight into this.

One mans dog rocket is another's go to stick.

That's not the point.

I know I don't enjoy certain cigars...so why take it.

Yes, hospitality plays a role...that I would agree to in certain settings.

I'll usually decline because if I'm not going to enjoy smoking it, I can still enjoy the company without one. But for the most part, I'll be carrying a travel case anyway.

I usually tell Clint to "Shove it" when he offers me one of his La Luna LHB's or fake Cohibas.

That's not the point.

When I was in the military sometimes that swisher sweet or hav - a - tampa someone gave me was the only bit of nicotine I had for over a week and I enjoyed it.

I still like to smoke a Wolf bro's Rum Crook or a Backwoods once in a while. So it was very much the point.

The easiest way to keep someone from offering you a cigar you don't like is to light one of your own up before they have the chance.

That's not the point.

When I was in the military sometime that swisher sweet or hav - a - tampa someone gave me was the only bit of nicotine I had for over a week and I enjoyed it.

I still like to smoke a Wolf bro's Rum Crook or a Backwoods once in a while. So it was very much the point.

The easiest way to keep someone from offering you a cigar you don't like is to light one of your own up before someone offers.

You da' man!

Or if you never want to smoke with them again, offer them a Garys special Cohiba Robusto, problem solved! :laugh:

To echo Rod, I usually bring my own beer, beer glass, and cigars to any event. Some people baulk at it, those making snide remarks are usually the Heineken drinkers.

The best thing you can do is educate that not all beers are created equal and just enjoy yourself.

On the subject of cigars, this past weekend I brought a box of Padrón Londres Maduro to a wedding I was the best man in.

I must have of had 17 people come over to try a cigar that night. As we were wrapping up I was counting the number of cigars laid to waste in the ashtrays.

About 9 sticks had no more than 1/2-1" of it smoked, and one was halfway. I took it in that my contribution to the wedding was received well, even if it was the first cigar someone smoked.

I'm glad to have been able to share with them my passion, and hope they will find a local B&M to enjoy another.

Yes Gary...there is some politness behind accepting it....and I'm all for that! :thumbs:

Here are some whatifs:

If you don't drink Scotch and are offered some...would you take it?...not really applicable as the folks offering me cigars already know I'm a cigar smoker. But then again, if I was visiting Tibet and found myself at a Mongolian BBQ and was offered Yak meat-on-a-stick, even though I don't usually eat Yak, maybe it's time I try it...'when in Rome!'

How about liking green olives and being offered black?...again, not applicable. Except when it comes to a vodka martini!
I never ever bring my own beer to a party unless asked. As long as the beer is cold and free its good beer. If it is as SkyKing said "swill" I make a cup last a loooong time. I go to parties to enjoy the company of friends and not get blitzed.

I will bring a bottle of alcohol I like to a party and gift it to the host. If he or she decides to open it and put it out it is up to them.

As far as cigars go, I always bring a few to every party I go to. And I'll smoke a cigar I'm not too fond of if its offered, BoTL means something to me.

Where does the BoTL phrase 'Smoke what you like.' come into play?...it comes into play because THEY really ENJOY what they smoke and who am I to tell them that what they smoke isn't up to my standards. I (thinking I'm a decent BOTL) will acknowledge their taste and gladly accept their offering...regardless of my personal preferences. When I do that, I'm putting the emphasis on the friendship of the smoking experience and not the cigar's quality. Many times I'm approached by someone who gave me a dog rocket on our previous meeting and says something to the effect when we meet again, 'I didn't know how seriously you were into cigars. I'm sorry I gave you one so cheap last time smoked together'. That's my opportunity to promote, "Smoke what you like & like what you smoke". If he likes it, I can like one of his too...for one cigar...but then again, I'm not really that picky. I continually preach that my tastes should have NO bearing what so ever on what anyone should smoke...and that they shouldn't be influenced by what others say about their favorite brands or be intimidated by what others smoke. When conversations like this come up, you can predict where they are going and you can act as a sort of a Cigar Ambassador to promote our hobby in a positive way.

I see your point...I think of it this way as well, why not let someone who likes them (the ones I turn down)...enjoy them. They'd be wasted on me....good point. Needless to say, as an experienced smoker who pays attention to my surroundings, if I see more smokers than dog rockets to go around, I gracefully yield that stick to the other folks and break out one of my own. If the person giving me the cigar insists I still try his, I'll gladly smoke his and give one of mine to him (the opportunity to provide him an 'upgrade') and let him gift his cigar to someone who otherwise would have been left out. All of this just lends more interesting topics & facts to discuss while we all smoke together.

Then there's the offerings at a HERF...what about there?...most guys at a herf smoke decent stuff. Hell, first time I met you, you shoved an Opus in my mouth!...and I don't like them! :laugh:...but I smoked it. But then again, when you get down to it, I'm there to hang with the guys and could give a sh*t less what I'm actually smoking. In that setting there is also an added bonus, if an experienced smoker gives me a dog rocket, it just affords to the right to unmercifully bust his balls with every puff I take! It's about the people for me.

Interesting observations all around....couldn't agree more Gary.

That's not the point...sure it is, the one thing about cigar smoking I DON'T want to promote is being a cigar snob...if the guy offers me a dog rocket, I take it...regardless of the quality of the stick, I choose to promote the social aspect of the smoking experience...there is always plenty of time to discuss the different cigar qualities as we talk & smoke...again, it's just one more cigar in the many thousands I have smoked. I chose to look at it as an opportunity to nurture someone along the path to better smokes, IF they chose to go there.

I know I don't enjoy certain cigars...so why take it....we each walk our own path, You walk yours and I walk mine, neither is right OR wrong.

For me, accepting their cigar could be an ice breaker to maybe make a new friend...and God knows I'll reciprocate in kind before they leave my company ;)

Hehehehe...

....'We need the wood'!

:laugh:

------------
edit to add....I don't really like Opus that much either!

:thumbs:

I was offered a cheap cigar at a party this spring by a younger guy who was friends with my son. I accepted the cigar and promptly gave him a Fuente I had planned on smoking later that evening. We talked cigars for a while and I have since given him some additional sticks and helped him with purchase selections. He has now dropped the cheep crap.

Nice kid, glad I was able to help him.

IMHO, a simple no thank you for the smoke should suffice. No explanation necessary.

Unless the event is advertised as BYOB, so as not to insult the host's hospitality, I drink what is offered or say no thanks if the proffered beverage is undrinkable swill. In the parts of the South where I was raised, bringing your own upscale drink would often be construed as elitist, snobbish and rude. If I know the people well, I might bring my own but , I'm certain to bring enough to share, even if the host is a close friend.

On the other hand, when I host informal events, like a herf, I let my guests know what I'm offering for beverages, usually decent wines, craft beers and fine scotches - both blends and single malts. If someone hints that the menu doesn't suit there tastes, I'll let them know that they are free to bring their favorite beverage.

Lots depends on the crowd, personalities, type of event. But a simple "no thanks" is always good eteiquette and you owe no explanation for the declination.

I lean towards this approach. A simple, "Thanks, but no thanks" should work out just fine. Only the overly inquisitive - cough, unreasonably nosy - need ask more. I mean, do people really need to hear an excuse? If I really feel the need to have a cigar that night, I bring enough for at least a few other people to enjoy. As for bringing drinks to an event, I too consider it elitist and rude unless BYOB is explicitly or implicitly understood.

- Mark

As for bringing drinks to an event, I too consider it elitist and rude unless BYOB is explicitly or implicitly understood.

- Mark

I, on the other hand, find it rude to not bring something to someone's house. The age old addage, never show up empty handed. Only time I will is one of my best buddies where I know he will be providing the drinks for all, in which case I'll probably be bringing a small pack of sticks for myself and others to smoke.

If you are talking about showing up with a few cases or keg, then fine.

But if you are showing up to a party with a few beers only for yourself, well thats f'ning rude.

I always ask if I should bring something. With Dale, its usually me who gets put in charge of the beer since he doesn't drink beer and knows I have good taste.

Cigars are different, if you bring a few sticks for yourself its all good, However most of the brothers here (myself included) always bring enough to share,

This has only happened once- I excepted their cigar, which turned out to be a swisher sweet, put it in my pocket, pulled out one of my own smoked it, brought their's home and through it away. The problem is, not knowing what you are going to receive when someone offers you something, say thank you or no thank you and move on.

I was going to say no one should be putting that kind of thought into this question, but some people get offended very easily.

I never turn down a bad cigar, after saying thank you I let the person know that I will take it home with me for another
time. Then I save it for when my brother-in-law comes home looking for a free cigar.

As for bringing drinks to an event, I too consider it elitist and rude unless BYOB is explicitly or implicitly understood.

- Mark

I, on the other hand, find it rude to not bring something to someone's house. The age old addage, never show up empty handed. Only time I will is one of my best buddies where I know he will be providing the drinks for all, in which case I'll probably be bringing a small pack of sticks for myself and others to smoke.

I should have been more clear. Bringing drinks to an event, and bringing just enough for yourself to enjoy, is rude unless the party is BYOB. As for not "show(ing) up empty handed," I always bring the host or hostess a little token of appreciation.

- Mark