• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two Golf Related Questions

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
I've discussed these on the course with players of every skill level from club pros to hacks, and normally the answers I get suprise me.

1. If you could have anyone's swing (obviously a pro), who's would you want?
  2. If you could change one rule in the sport, what would it be? (I guess basically, what's the stupidest rule in golf)

In my opinion, Fred Couples has the most fluid, easiest looking (regards to tempo and power through the stroke) swing of anyone else on any tour at any time.

I hate being penalized for a tee shot or a lay-up that lands in a fairway divot. It should be considered "Ground Under Repair" as far as I'm concerned.

So, what say ye?

I agree about Freddy. Still a favorite of mine. Some of my other ravorite swings are Tiger, Sean O'Hair, & Charles Howell III..

As far as rules go, I don't understand how pros or tournament players are penalized for scoring issues or signing an incorrect card when there are leaderboards all over the place. On the same token, the pros should check those leaderboards before they sign the cards.

1. Ernie Els
2. Same as you . . . don't understand the fairway divot penalty

Freddie would be great.

As for rules, similar to yours -- If you hit on the fringe on a green and your ball backs up - you have to play through your pitch/divot mark. Seems like you should be able to fix the divot.

I'd say Phil Blackmar just cause I'm 6'7" and need a taller persons swing....

and I don't play by the rules....

Yeah, I like O'Hairs swing.
Club should be allowed to touch the sand. ( Only cause I need a crutch ) :sign:

at least im honest.....im just as much of a golf newbie as a cigar newbie.... well almost....

I've always admired Tom Lehman's swing and tried to copy it as best I could. He's a grinder and with his steep swing, he can put backspin on a rock.

It doesn't affect us as much as the pros but I'd like to see the pros be able to take their ball from divots on the fairway. Why should you have to hit from a shit lie when you hit the ball in "position A"?

Oh crap, I forgot spike marks on the greens. You should be able to smooth them down. You shouldn't have to putt through some inconsiderate a-hole, who decides to do a softshoe on the green, spike marks (not that us amateurs are allowed to wear hard spikes anymore).

Without a doubt Geoff Ogilivy's swing. It's just so smooth with a perfect tempo

You guys have pretty much hit the stupid rules on the head.. I can't think of any more than the ones already mentioned

I'd have to go with Ernie Else as far as swing goes.

I don't mind playing out of a grass filled divot. That's just part of the game. I do wish that you could move the ball if it lands in a sand filled divot. Playing out of sand from the middle of the fairway is not what the course architects had in mind when they set up a golf course. Unfortunately, most of the courses here in the south you don't really take out a divot that you could replace. The grass kinda explodes and sand is the only option for filling divots.

I have to go with Phil Mickelson's swing and shot making capabilities. He has a great swing and can hit every shot in the book, his putting and short game are unreal (that is where I struggle) ....he just does not use his head all of the time to hit the right shot.

The rule of not being able to remove your ball from a fairway divot is silly. There is no reason for it.

A PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE - Please repair your divots in the fairway and ball marks on the greens! While your there, take a quick look around and replace two others for those who are ignorant!

End of message.

In memory of his US open win 10 years ago and one of my favorite players - I'd have to say Payne Stewart's swing.

Dumbest rule: 1) Spike mark rule, but since that was taken 2) Craig Stadler's penalty/eventual DQ for using a towel to protect his pants while playing a shot from his knees (1987 Andy Williams Open for those of us old enough to remember watching that one)

As far as swing, I'll take John Daly....about as full of a swing as you can get and intended to just hammer the ball.

As far as rules...I agree about the bunker rule...my pre-shot routine is to set the club face down behind the ball, line up, and take a comfortable stance/ grip. I find it hard to get comfortable taking a shot out of a bunker because I am not able to set the club face down. Though, I understand WHY the rule is in effect, I still don't have to like it. :angry:

:thumbs:

Tigers swing just screams powerfull.. I'll take it!

I think you should be allowed to repair any unnatural bump, ball mark, or spike mark on the green.

I agree with cpprhead59... if you see a ball mark, fix that thing.. even if it isn't yours!

In memory of his US open win 10 years ago and one of my favorite players - I'd have to say Payne Stewart's swing.

Dumbest rule: 1) Spike mark rule, but since that was taken 2) Craig Stadler's penalty/eventual DQ for using a towel to protect his pants while playing a shot from his knees (1987 Andy Williams Open for those of us old enough to remember watching that one)

Good call on Payne Stewart. I'm embarassed to admit I forgot about how fluid and smooth his swing was.

Another good call on the Stadler penalty. There are so many "goofy" rules in golf, it's hard to remember all of them.

Ernie Els

As far as spike marks, they changed that rule many years ago, you can tamp them down now. You can fix anything on the green "once your ball rests on the green"

As far as hitting a ball from a fairway divot; if you strike the ball properly it really has little effect.

I can live with all the rules because there are valid reasons for them even though some are imperfect. What I would change is the handicap system.......it's quite flawed. READ HERE

Lets us know when you finally start playing the game of golf...lol...j/k

What can you say for a young-one-year-in-weekend-golfer??? I'm still in the stage of just having fun while I'm out there!

Lets us know when you finally start playing the game of golf...lol...j/k

What can you say for a young-one-year-in-weekend-golfer??? I'm still in the stage of just having fun while I'm out there!

Learn the basic rules and play by them......it will make your future years more fun if you end up liking the game.