• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two smokes, one night

moki

el Presidente
So I promised I'd post this tonight, even though I'm fairly hammered... so... short and sweet...

Had a 1985 Montecristo Especial that was really just divine... amazing how much strength is left in these after 21 years of sitting around waiting for some schmuck to smoke 'em. Beautiful cigar, perfectly constructed, a really special experience to enjoy and tradition to uphold. Thank you. I'm not a Montecristo fan at all, but there's just something about this vitola, and the age on these... really remarkable smokes.

The other smoke was a "personal stash" AVO LE 05 w/extra sweet ligero... this was a really nice smoke as well, with the typical AVO LE 05 profile, but with a touch of sweet ligero that was like a sprinkling of spiced sugar on top of an already wonderful cigar. If you're an AVO LE 05 fan, you will not be disappointed by these "extra sweet ligero" personal stash cigars at all.

*hic* latah!

Nice smokes, Andrew, but can't you count? You were supposed to smoke a 36 year old smoke.

Might I suggest...

Hammered Stash: White Owl Pineapple flavored, Ram Rods, Tiparillos

Not so Hammered Stash: the good stuff

Wilkey

Might I suggest...

Hammered Stash: White Owl Pineapple flavored, Ram Rods, Tiparillos

Not so Hammered Stash: the good stuff

Wilkey

Well, I did the hammering alongside of the smoking... ;)

You have been saving that stick since you were 15 years old,
that's what I call patience. :laugh: :laugh:

Brian

Are the personal stash "extra sweet ligero" LE05's commercially available, or did you get these from Avo's "personal stash"?

I smoked an 80's Especial this past Sunday morning on my walk with the dog. I was tremendously disappointed during the initial inch or so of the stick; almost no smoke and very little flavor. I had that worried "oh no" thinking going for a few minutes. The flavors picked up a bit as the cigar progressed. I'd liken the dominant to flavor to a kind of caramel; not overwhelming sweetness, but it was definitely there.

As a side note, in my very limited experience with cigars that have 15+ years on them, I find a consistent, mild undertone of mustiness. That sounds like a negative, and while it's definitely not meant to be, I can't come up with an adjective to appropriately describe the similar flavor sensation I've had when smoking an aged cigar irrespective of the marca. It's been there on every aged stick I've smoked be it Monte, HU, Davi, ERDM or Partagas. It's a flavor marker of sorts that I now associate with an aged cigar. Wish I could describe it better because it was there throughout the Especial, a pleasant reminder that the cigar had some years on it.

That caramel flavor changed or intermingled to become a leathery coccoa just past the half-way point. The taste was less muted now; stronger, fuller, richer than the first half. Snorking the cigar at this point caused the flavors to really explode in my mouth, and I enjoyed the hell out of the rest of the stick.

I have one or two more of these remaining and look forward to enjoying them. I just have to remember to be patient with it. Like a lot of us older guys, it takes a little bit to kick into gear.

What's with all the newbs reviving old dead threads lately? Especially with Banned members posting in them....

What's with all the newbs reviving old dead threads lately? Especially with Banned members posting in them....

Haha, I was wondering the same thing Greg! :laugh:

Maybe because all of the other newbs are told to search and their question or topic has been discussed 1000 times? So now you're complaining because newbs are actually searching and contributing to existing topics instead of starting their own? Which way do you want it?

-John

FWIW gotta agree with John on this one.

ETA: Totally reasonable question by Greg though, it always gives me sort of a WTF moment too.