• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Updated Frigidor info

My Vinotemp is not cooling much now because it is cold in my house. My guess is during the summer I will have to make adjustments for all the condensation since my house gets mighty hot that time of the year...

The amount of condensation is definately relative to the temperature difference between the Vinotemp and the room in which it is located. When it is 80 in my house, the thing sweats like crazy, because it is always running, hence creating the condensation. Right now, with it being 67 in the house, it runs minimally to keep only a couple of degrees cooler, therefore condensation is minimal.

As for drainage, I opted to completely plug my drain hole, add a timed fan to move the moisture to the top of the unit, and as the unit runs, the moisture trickles back down to the beads. My system is completely closed, completely self regulating and almost hands free. The only time I add water is when I've opened the door over and over, allowing it to escape the system. I am still holding at 66% and I think I added water 2 or 3 months ago.

Mike, not trying to threadjack, just trying to pool the info.

Also forgot to add...you must find the equilibrium of water to beads. If your beads are soaked, there is too much water in the system. Dry some out or add more beads.

Yes, I think the beads being constantly refreshed is a slick set up. You guys are right about the temp/RH swings. It is extremely stable right now since moving to a back bedroom that is much cooler/and stable. I think that and the fact that the temp and RH here have really dropped lately is helping it stabilize.

The one thing I would really like to refine is the thermostat. I would like to remove the sensor/bulb (wetf), from the cooler inlet area at the rear of the cabinet and move it down a foot from the P device/fan. I think then the temp reading on the door would be more accurately and the cooler could be adjusted to your desired temp. Mine reads 54f on the door but both digital units I have inside read 64f 63-64%RH, I think it is 54 by the cooling rig, just minor details that we need to figure out.

So far that is about the only improvement I could see. I have also researched the brewers thermostat set up. Just another plug in device with a sensor inside the cabinet which would regulate the temp more precisely as well as cut down on the actual running time of the wine cooler. So far I think the stable temp is fine where it is for me, I will probably attempt to move or replace the temp sensor/thermostat to allow an accurate display on the door, but no time soon. An exterior wood case would be sweet as well.????

Eugene,

Good question. I had to tackle that problem early on . The drain that the cooler had was a small tube with two 90 deg bends in it, and it was plugged with the insulating foam from the cabinet. I discovered this cool feature about a weekor so after turning the unit on with the new cedar lining. I had to replace the wet floor, so I pulled it out and drilled a hole straight down through the drain large enough to slide a fine sharpie through. I then removed the guts from the sharpie cut the tube to length, roughed it up and installed it. It has a tight fit, and I was able to get some 5min epoxy between it and the insulating foam , so It is bonded very strong, with a good seal from the outside, no epoxy inside. I also sealed that joint on the inside with the hot glue gun, I was just being careful to keep the epoxied joint completely sealed off from the interior, the HG is non toxic and seals well enough.

Tube will drain out instantly now, no pooling of condensation at all. Also the glass dish in the bottom of the humidor has a drain hole drilled through it, and the cabinet is leveled across the front but sloped rear to allow draining if need be. It has a flat bottom so I was able to use a diamond burr in my drill press to drill a 1/4" drain hole, which is placed directly over the drain in the cabinet back. The beads constantly re use the condensation, In my pic that is what the dish looked like after a short one month trip away, I stirred the wet beads to the front, but that was it. The drain is mearly a fresh air inlet at this point. There is a small ammount of beads in the drain as well, any moisture would flow right through but it is closed.

The new placement in the house is in a much cooler corner. The cabinet is holding 63f and 62-63RH.

The amount of condensation is definately relative to the temperature difference between the Vinotemp and the room in which it is located. When it is 80 in my house, the thing sweats like crazy, because it is always running, hence creating the condensation. Right now, with it being 67 in the house, it runs minimally to keep only a couple of degrees cooler, therefore condensation is minimal.

As for drainage, I opted to completely plug my drain hole, add a timed fan to move the moisture to the top of the unit, and as the unit runs, the moisture trickles back down to the beads. My system is completely closed, completely self regulating and almost hands free. The only time I add water is when I've opened the door over and over, allowing it to escape the system. I am still holding at 66% and I think I added water 2 or 3 months ago.

Mike, not trying to threadjack, just trying to pool the info.

Thank you both for your wonderful insight and extremely useful tips. Unfortunately, I am not so great with my hands and the thought of drilling into my fridge with inexperienced hands can be a very dangerous thing ( lol don't ask its a long story ). I do however like rectifythis' suggestion of placing fans over the saturated beads to help circulate the air within so that the dryer tubed beads above can absorb some of the excess moisture. I will give that a try when I have the time to purchase some fans.

But again, thank you both for your input.

Eugene