• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upright Coolidor Question

sigar_zealot

FattyMcButterPants
Please forgive my n00b question. Although I admit my search skills suck I did a lot of reading on the subject and still can't find a solid anwser..

For you guys that stand your coolers on end so you could use shelves, how do you keep it from tipping over? I've seen several photos of the inside of coolers making them look like they are upright but when I look at them in the stores they wobble all over the place. Also, did anyone put theirs on a raised platform? I'd like to get mine a little more at eye level.
(Hey, I'm old and fat!)

I suppose I should stop being such a tightwad and purchase a cabinet but that would really cut into my scotch budget.

Hi Sigar- I just got my 150 qt coolor and plan to build a little base for it.

I got mine on-line and didn't have a chance to really look it over but it has handlesare built in and stick out about 3" on each side.

Yeah the handles make it really unstable. I can't imagine putting $1000.00 plus worth of cigars in something that might fall over.

....people stand their coolers on end...??....:0

IMHO, shelves, linings, and the like do one and only one thing - take up valuable room.

I ran five coolers (before I got my cabinet) and all I ever did was rinse 'em out, air 'em out, put the cigars and beads in 'em, and call it good. They run remarkably well, and hold humidity better than anything else I've ever seen.

Yea, screw the shelves. Just place your boxes in there, get some cedar trays for the loose sticks and set it on your kitchen counter to raise it up to eye level. Good to go!

IMHO, shelves, linings, and the like do one and only one thing - take up valuable room.

I ran five coolers (before I got my cabinet) and all I ever did was rinse 'em out, air 'em out, put the cigars and beads in 'em, and call it good. They run remarkably well, and hold humidity better than anything else I've ever seen.
If I had room for 5 coolers I wouldn't have to stand up my big cooler.

Right now I have 3 smaller coolers going and they take up all the room I have. So I can stand this up next to my wine chiller and it will be my new Humi.

I'll start my own thread when I get it set up.

I'm a little tired of dragging out 6-7 boxes to get to what I want on the bottom. In reality if I had a larger cooler it would solve a lot of issues I'm having. The shelves do seem to be popular as I have seen quite a few of them in photos. Hopefully some of the upright/shelve guys weigh in.
Thanks!

I don't see the point in standing the cooler on end. You waste space! as far as getting stuff from the bottom (I DON'T) the bottom is long term storage!

Gotta agree that certain personalities, or physical limitations, makes rifling through a cooler on the floor annoying or just plain painful.
I much more enjoy my cooler standing on end with shelves. I used a plywood base, and several blocks of plywood, of varying sizes, to fully support the cooler. I used a construction adhesive to attach it to the cooler. I laid it out in CAD, and optimized the outlines so cutting the pieces was a breeze. Screwed everthing together using outdoor bugle headed screws. It is much easier to find what I'm looking for, and takes up a lot less floor space. Just make sure you get an adhesive that is good for non-porous, or plastic, and wood. I did not paint the bonding surface of the wood.

MadMonk,
Thank you for sharing how you did yours. If it's not too much to ask can you PM me a photo or post one so I can see how it turned out. I don't have access to a CAD program not that I would know how to use it if I did. I do think if I saw one or two others I could bluff my way through building something that would work.

While I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinion on the shelves wasting space and being unnecessary, the new cooler I am buying is 2.5 times larger than the old one, so space isn't going to be much of an issue. I've been smoking cigars for 12 years and other than an odd box here or there I pretty much just buy enough to replace what I smoke and share with friends.

While I'm not totally apposed to the idea I'm not sure I want to get into gluing the cooler to the base. I'm considering standing mine up in a closet on some sort of small platform and using the handles to secure it to the wall. (Thank you Kingantz!)

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming.
Many thanks to you all.

Just had a vision of mounting it on the wall lengthwise by screwing through the bottom into some studs. Seal the holes with something. Then when you open the lid, you've got a nice working surface to help with sorting through the boxes. .

Just had a vision of mounting it on the wall lengthwise by screwing through the bottom into some studs. Seal the holes with something. Then when you open the lid, you've got a nice working surface to help with sorting through the boxes. .
good idea

....not sure how mounting the cooler lengthwise on the wall works for internal shelving. OP's request was how to stand it up.

Can't see how this is much better than having it on the floor, where you can move it around, but hey, run with it....I guess.....:whistling:

....not sure how mounting the cooler lengthwise on the wall works for internal shelving. OP's request was how to stand it up.

Shelving would just run the long direction, but this is an idea to meet the intent of the original question. Instead of mounting it on a base and treating it like a wine cooler with the door opening sideways, this mounts it on the wall (or a simple stand) and treats it like an oven with the door opening down.

Can't see how this is much better than having it on the floor, where you can move it around, but hey, run with it....I guess.....:whistling:

I guess you could put it on an L shaped frame and then you'd still be able to move things around. I agree, to each their own, though... it was just an idea that popped into my head. :)

On a related note... Is it okay to, in your coolerdoor, lay boxes of cigars on top of other boxes of cigars? Is airflow an issue here? Or is it just all good since the RH of the interior of the cooler is within acceptable parameters?

David

I have had mine stacked 4-8 boxes deep for a couple of years without issue.

Thanks again for all the ideas posted here plus all the PM's you guys have sent. It may be a month or two before I do this but I will post a photo when I finally get it done.

On a related note... Is it okay to, in your coolerdoor, lay boxes of cigars on top of other boxes of cigars? Is airflow an issue here? Or is it just all good since the RH of the interior of the cooler is within acceptable parameters?

David

I guess I am the minority here, but mine stands upright quite well. :whistling:

coolidor.jpg