• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upright Coolidor Question

I have a smaller cooler but is configured much the same way. I just unscrewed the handle on one side and it sits upright pretty good. I've got it pushed up against the wall and it is pretty secure.

I bought my Spanish Cedar from a Woodcraft Store in Fort Worth. I cut it to length and used the gaps inside the cooler to hold them. It worked well and was very simple. I took the leftover cedar and screwed it to the inside of the door and the back wall, just to give a little more cedar wood surface area on the inside.

Here are a couple of pics...

med_gallery_4821_1452_70080.jpg

med_gallery_4821_1452_45140.jpg

I had trouble keeping humidity at first so I added some weather stripping and a more secure latch. I posted about that issue Here...

I have since learned that the seal is almost too good. You don't want your cooler to be hermetically sealed. It needs to breathe. I'm in and out of mine enough to keep fresh air circulating in it, but don't let your completely sealed cooler go too long without opening it, especially if your RH is 70% or higher, and moreover if you live in warmer climates.

Hope this helps.

Gary

I have since learned that the seal is almost too good. You don't want your cooler to be hermetically sealed. It needs to breathe.

I was thinking about that and thought leaving the drain plug open would be good. It would allow the air to circulate but not so much that is won't keep humidity.

Emoshun,
That looks great. Can I ask where you bought the shelves at? Was thinking about doing something pretty much identical to your setup.

Edit: Same cooler is now in stock.

I bought a spanish cedar plank from a Rockler Woodworking store for $25, and my father in law made them from a template I gave him.

I was blown away with his workmanship, and the fact that he wouldn't let me pay him for them. :)

I ended up with a 150 Qt. Igloo Maxcool from Sam's Club. ($64.99 plus tax) The handles are recessed into the side of the cooler so it stands on end much better than the Coleman brand coolers I was seeing. Just a note, I never saw a Coleman Marine Cooler in a store. I threw together 3 shelves which gives me 4 levels to stack boxes and sat the cooler on an old small bookshelf we bought at target for around $15.00. Setting against the wall the unit appears to be plenty stable without attaching it to the wall or shelf. For now I threw all my empty cigar boxes inside for aroma with 2 old floral foam humidifiers to let the shelves absorb some moisture. I'll move my cigars in there next weekend assuming it stabilizes by then.

This seems to have worked out quite well for the space I wanted to store the cooler. Thanks to all that helped with ideas and suggestions.

On a related note... Is it okay to, in your coolerdoor, lay boxes of cigars on top of other boxes of cigars? Is airflow an issue here? Or is it just all good since the RH of the interior of the cooler is within acceptable parameters?

David

If you are worried about air circulation in your cooler, try using an Oust fan. I see emoshun has one running in his vertical cooler setup. They work fine, and are inexpensive. You can find them on eBay...maybe Amazon too, but I believe it may be a discontinued product, so get them while you can.

They only have one setting when on, it's a runtime cycle of 5 minutes on and 15 minutes off.

Runs off one D cell battery that is included.

They only have one setting when on, it's a runtime cycle of 5 minutes on and 15 minutes off.

Runs off one D cell battery that is included.

Those foam humidifiers might not be enough.. I have over a lb. of heartfelt beads in mine.. Sits a 65 deg. and 65% all year round.

Back