• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

US to allow cuban cigars into the United States

MrAnderson41 said:
So I wonder what all this means for OFAC. Although the embargo is still in place, I wonder if they will continue enforcement on consumer level importation of cigars.
Good point, also wondering how much resources will be applied to continue with seizures.
Yeahthatsme said:
For now this doesn't seem too relevant for us. This will only affect people going to Cuba and bringing cigars back. They still haven't loosened the travel restrictions to the point that leisure trips are allowed. I think we're still a ways off from Holts selling COROs.
I don't think you'll be stopped from coming back from vacation with a $100 worth of sticks....

cigars&rum said:
For now this doesn't seem too relevant for us. This will only affect people going to Cuba and bringing cigars back. They still haven't loosened the travel restrictions to the point that leisure trips are allowed. I think we're still a ways off from Holts selling COROs.
I don't think you'll be stopped from coming back from vacation with a $100 worth of sticks....

Right, you won't be stopped coming back from Cuba with $100 in cigars, but you have to get to Cuba first, and from the US that still requires an application process, and leisure travel isn't allowed at the moment.

Yeahthatsme said:

Right, you won't be stopped coming back from Cuba with $100 in cigars, but you have to get to Cuba first, and from the US that still requires an application process, and leisure travel isn't allowed at the moment.

I mean from Mexico, or your island of choice

cigars&rum said:

I mean from Mexico, or your island of choice

There's nothing that says they're changing customs policy from other countries is there? Overall I don't see this specific change mattering much for the Cuban market, but I do think this is a sign of bigger changes to come.

Yeahthatsme said:

Right, you won't be stopped coming back from Cuba with $100 in cigars, but you have to get to Cuba first, and from the US that still requires an application process, and leisure travel isn't allowed at the moment.I mean from Mexico, or your island of choiceThere's nothing that says they're changing customs policy from other countries is there? Overall I don't see this specific change mattering much for the Cuban market, but I do think this is a sign of bigger changes to come.
It means Cuban products, regardless were they come from. From my take anyway....

Just because it makes me giggle a little... Really, $100?  That's like 5 cigars!

It's a step in the right direction for the people of Cuba. It will unfortunately affect the cigars as everyone has said. I am glad I have a decent collection and I smoke slow. I am really looking forward to what Carlito and Pepin can do when they have some Cuban tobacco available to them; although, I am sure those sticks will be at the full Kool-aid price.

What will this mean for the "sources" rule here on CP?  Serious question.  Will it now not be a big deal to discuss such things?  

mmburtch said:
Just because it makes me giggle a little... Really, $100?  That's like 5 cigars!
Lol, you get a sampler pack.
bluue13 said:
What will this mean for the "sources" rule here on CP?  Serious question.  Will it now not be a big deal to discuss such things?  
Good point, or at least more freedom through PM...

Nothing has changed regarding US citizens being able to purchase Cuban cigars. Travel and bringing things back, have relaxed. I'd think if/when the embargo was ever at a point where we could purchase without it being illegal, then it would be kosher to discuss sources.

With that being said, I'm not sure I'd be willing to divulge a source, for fear that everyone would fall in and limit what I was able to obtain. Reminds me of when Opus/Anejos were so scarce, that people held onto their sources.

Who knows, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

bfreebern said:
Nothing has changed regarding US citizens being able to purchase Cuban cigars. Travel and bringing things back, have relaxed. I'd think if/when the embargo was ever at a point where we could purchase without it being illegal, then it would be kosher to discuss sources.

With that being said, I'm not sure I'd be willing to divulge a source, for fear that everyone would fall in and limit what I was able to obtain. Reminds me of when Opus/Anejos were so scarce, that people held onto their sources.

Thanks for the quick reply

bfreebern said:

^^^^^This.

bfreebern said:

Gotcha.  I haven't had a chance to sit down and really read through all the material.  

Well, the politicians are having a field day complaining about this. I guess the thinking is that it is more politically expedient to be against dropping the embargo.
Will be interesting to see if this gets any legs, or is squashed.

If you went on a licensed trip back on the day (90's) you could bring in $100 worth of Cuban cigars and some rum. You could bring up to 100 cigars. If you did not have a receipt you were allowed one box and the rest was confiscated. The rum I think they let you have two. The only way you could bring in 100 cigars was if they were machine made and had the receipts. Remember 100 cigars is considered a commercial quantity by US standards. The rules haven't changed since then. I am sure the unwritten policy will not change, but you will see it trickle in. John 

As far as the Tampa cigar makers story its going to be kill or be killed. Who has more $$$ and who got in 1st. There will be no loyalty to Imperial as long as someone is willing to pay more. Many small farms will pop up as land becomes available but where is the skilled manpower to grow this? Going to the highest bidder. The workers are making $1-2 day. Prices will have to go up as skilled laborers are going to demand more. For fear of centralization, Fuentes and the like will be the last to go in. John

How exactly does any of this help the Cuban people?

I'm still a bit lost on that one....

At least, at this point....

Well, let's see. They might be able to eat regularly. American farmers are dying for a new market. Cubans won't have to ration milk and other necessities, and that's just the beginning.

Doc

Plus if Cuba is smart and opens fully, they can go back to being the vacation destination for the USA. Tons of money would go flooding back into the country.