• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vacation, fishing, crabs and Cigars!

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Ok, well...wow. What a couple of weeks off I had. Sorry, just gotta get this out! After missing out all last summer due to my back, I'm back with a vengeance! My 2 nephews (Wife's side) came up, with one of their girlfriends, to go hiking around and fishing with us. And to visit too! So I took 2 weeks off, which also just happened to coincide with the red salmon run. Convenient, no?

Started with the 4.5 hour drive south to the 'Baroo'. Started with a Casa Fuente Lancero compliments of Blue Dragon and his wish granting (thanks buddy!!!) Think I threw in a Padron 40th on the drive too.

So up at 3am the very next day for this:

Thats a couple of hours worth of dipnetting on the Kenai river... Alaska resident status required. I now have the salmon needed to survive the winter, both for grilling and smoking. Whew!!

So the nephews show up and we go halibut fishing of course.

but occasionally you catch things other than halibut...

I love her expression! What she caught was an 'Irish Lord' - an ugly as hell trash fish. Not enough meat on them to feed a cat! But whatever it was, she didn't like it! :laugh:

But what I did not tell them while planning their trip, was that starting on July 15th, there is an opening for residents to catch Tanner Crabs. Now, they can't catch them, but no reason they cannot be on the boat when *I* do :whistling:

Here's a couple of keepers (males 5.5" or bigger across the shell)

But not all was fishing - we did sightseeing as well. We went to the town of Sedovia, only reached by boat or plane. An awesome little community - very picturesque.

While there we witnessed a couple of Bald Eages fighting over a fish carcass

And cruising around on the boat we saw:
Tufted Puffins

billions of sea birds at the bird rookery

and a surprise visit by a seal sunning himself on a raft of seaweed

we got a lot closer to the seal but I really like this photo with the background.

Overall a great trip...sent the nephews home with lots of fish, some crab and bellies full of everything as well. Did a brewpub crawl with them, sent them up to Denali Park where they saw bears, caribou, moose, Dall sheep and lots of other things. Highlight was the crab tho... nothing like having crab boiled with an hour of pulling them up in a pot! I've never had fresh crab like that before, and good LORD is it good. It was hard to save any to package for the winter... we just kept eating it and eating it and eating it!

I smoked so many cigars this past 2 weeks that I'll take a break for a bit to let my taste buds recover! RASS, PLPC, CoRo, PAM's, BGM, Anejo, Opus, Tat Monsters, and the list goes on and on.

And the best part is...? That was not my regularly scheduled vacation! That starts in 2 weeks :laugh: I'll be doing it alllllllll over again with my brother in law!

Looks like you had a great time you Rat Bastard!!! :laugh: Have to say that is some beautiful country you have the pleasure of living in. SO how many salmon are in that net. Also Moki says there are no moose in ALaska so how come your Nephews saw some? :sign:

Man, thanks for sharing that. I loved the photos, made me wish I was back in Alaska again. I worked a summer up in Skagway back in 1998. Also got a chance to fish the Kenai a couple years ago. Great to hear your back is good enough to get you back on the water again. Will definitely be looking for photos of the regularly scheduled vacation. Damn, I could go for some halibut right now.

Ha ya that girl doesn't look too happy about her catch. Great pics.

Wow what a haul! Looks like an awesome time Jim, we can't wait till we can make it up.

Sounds and looks like a great time!!

Thanks for sharing the pic's, I enjoyed them. :thumbs:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Incredible scenery and fishing!

Count me in as jealous!

Looks like you had a great time you Rat Bastard!!! :laugh: Have to say that is some beautiful country you have the pleasure of living in. SO how many salmon are in that net. Also Moki says there are no moose in ALaska so how come your Nephews saw some? :sign:

Net had about 60 some fish in it. We were using large plastic totes, and they overflowed. So we had our backup net, in case one broke, and pressed it into service as a backup tote! All said and done, we got close to 140 between 8 of us. And screw Mooki... just because the moose were to afraid to be seen by him does not mean they are afraid of being violated by everyone else!

Wow what a haul! Looks like an awesome time Jim, we can't wait till we can make it up.

Quit popping out little ones and get up here!!! :laugh:

Ha ya that girl doesn't look too happy about her catch. Great pics.

Same expression my wife had on our wedding day :D . That is definitely one ugly fish, though.

wedding day... or night? :whistling:

:laugh: I should get a head on shot of one of them uglies... they are all mouth! Years ago a huge one was caught, and they found an unopened pack of cigarettes in it's gut! They'll eat anything...

Just sucks I go back to work tomorrow... for 2 weeks! then off again... :cool:

Great pics! Thanks for sharing...I have always wanted to take a trip way up north. I think the most interesting was the town you visited by way of boat/plane...what do you do in a town growing up that is only assessable by the outside world by plane?

Looks like it was an Amazing vacation!

Swissy,

What can I say? You are the man!!!!!

AWESOME pics. I can't think of anyone having a better time. Family, fish, smokes... Geesh.

Thanks for sharing!

Swissy, that was her expression on our wedding day. It was me that looked like that fish later on our wedding night :laugh: (I woke up feeling like I swallowed a whole pack of cigarettes)!

Where were you guys fishing for halibut? Did you go out of Homer?

Great pics! Thanks for sharing...I have always wanted to take a trip way up north. I think the most interesting was the town you visited by way of boat/plane...what do you do in a town growing up that is only assessable by the outside world by plane?

Looks like it was an Amazing vacation!

Seldovia is an awesome little community. Mostly artists, retirement and cabins. Maybe 500 people? But a neat place to wander around, get a coffee or beer, see the sights... and get away from all the hustle and bustle of the real world. Most of the artists will hop the ferry to Homer (45 minutes on the fast ferry, 1.5hr on slow boat) and sell their items in the shops along the Homer Spit to the tourists.

Swissy, that was her expression on our wedding day. It was me that looked like that fish later on our wedding night :laugh: (I woke up feeling like I swallowed a whole pack of cigarettes)!

Where were you guys fishing for halibut? Did you go out of Homer?

:laugh::laugh:
We fish from Homer. I keep my boat there at my sisters place rear round. I have some holes within 45 minutes of the harbor for nice eating halibuts - 25-50#. And the crab are all in closer than that!
I'm always looking for a reason to go fishing... :whistling:

Man, great pictures. I can't believe its been almost three years since I was up there. That is definitely God's country. The Homer area is a great little place. What's the name of that bar that is old as dirt with all the dollar bills pinned up?

Glad your feeling better and the fishin' was good!

Different crabs but the same thought here near the Chesapeake Bay. The blue crabs are seriously good too.

Highlight was the crab tho... nothing like having crab boiled with an hour of pulling them up in a pot! I've never had fresh crab like that before, and good LORD is it good.

Awesome pics, Jimmy. Sure looks like you guys had a great time.

Once the moving tape and sawdust settles around here, we owe you and Mary a visit, big time......:thumbs:

Take care, my friend - B.B.S.

Looks like heaven, Jim. Fishing in Alaska is on my bucket list. Hope to do it one day soon.