• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vendor Aged Or Age Them Yourself?

icyo

Do you seek out pre-1999 boxes or do you buy them fresh and age them yourself? I hear it's better to age them yourself, but when I see a 1996 or 1997 code, I feel like I just have to jump on it.

Ageing them yourself is A) Cheaper, and B) you know how they have been stored
Buying them aged is A) Instant.

I would prefer to have a smoke that I have aged myself, but seeing as I can not go back in time and start ageing as many cigars as I would now like to have, sometimes I have to buy aged.

Depends on the cigar and my intentions at the time.

I buy quite a bit of aged stock to smoke right now. That whole instant gratification thing.

I buy newer stock to age myself. I try to have at least two boxes of the cigars that I like. Typically, one aged and ready to smoke and one newer and sitting in the deep, dark recesses of my humidor.

Vendor aged at the original price, is what I prefer. :laugh:

What kind of premium do vendors charge for aged cigars? None of the vendors I know of have old stock, so I'm sitting here with about 8 boxes that won't be ready for years.

What kind of premium do vendors charge for aged cigars? None of the vendors I know of have old stock, so I'm sitting here with about 8 boxes that won't be ready for years.

Depends on the vendor. Some go pretty high and don't seem
to have a problem selling aged. Others will charge 10 to 20%.
It's all about supply and demand. If you really want an aged box,
you will pay what they ask and they will sell their stock.

I look at it from a "years" point of view. Every year that I would have to
wait is worth x dollars to me. Shit, whose to say I'll be alive in 8
years time :laugh: or, want to wait 8 years.

Brian

Do you seek out pre-1999 boxes or do you buy them fresh and age them yourself? I hear it's better to age them yourself, but when I see a 1996 or 1997 code, I feel like I just have to jump on it.

interesting the way the question is worded...

it seems with time/experience you are able to find(on the internet)some very old smokes and i do purchase on the internet from time to time...not very often and usually not unless 10+ years old.

like matt r i prefer to find older cigars in cuba and pay cuban retail...'93 du depute=85$...'94 upmann super coronas=110$ etc.etc.
5 to 10 year old smokes are not that hard to find in havana...10 plus year old smokes are not that easy to find but still(if you look hard enough)there.

now i must make the following statement before i type the next paragraph:
i have only been buying more cigars than i smoke since '99

as to age yourself vs buy older...i firmly believe that cigars that i have aged for 5 or 6 or 7 years are better than buying 7 year old smokes(from the internet).nobody can store and age my cigars as well as derrek can.

good question and well worded...thank you

derrek :)

For most folks, myself included, the option of buying sufficient aged stock to be our daily smokes is simply not an option. It's a question of economics first and space and commitment second.

As a rule, I purchase all new stock to put down, sample and age. Occasionally, I will come across boxes in the 5-10 year range but rarely will I pull the trigger. However, if the cigar is something I truly wish to try and I can be assured of good storage conditions, then I will jump.

I think that in the back of my mind, there is the realization that the "golden age" of Cuban cigars has passed. For sure, what we buy now is enjoyable and ageworthy, but the tobacco strains have come a long way from even those found in 1997/98 vintages. And as for the fabled black tobaccos from the decades before, they are even more long gone. Cuban cigars have undergone quite a series of shifts in the last decade and these changes continue to occur.

Wilkey

I have to rely on buying aged stock because I have no will power to age them myself.

I try to do both. I only have 4 boxes from '97-98 so I'm slowly smoking those while letting all the others get older.

Cigars dont last very long in my place so if I can get the older, its better. Either way, I enjoy young ISOM's as much as I do older ones. Once in the door, they are placed on the most Endangered Species list. After I had a 8 year old Punch, I dont think I would want another one. It was way to muted so it also depends on the cigar. if it can take the long aging and still maintain its charactistics, thats a huge ass bonus.

I plan ahead and purchase this year for my smokes in 2011 as I like a box to be 5 years old to break. It is rare that I find older dates to purchase for items I prefer. It is sort of like gardening for me. Plant a box in the coolerdor and tend it until it is ready to harvest. Of course, I have to store a number of the coolerdors against the wall of my den and have labels on them as to the year each will mature. The wife is not thrilled about 8 of these monsters stacked up in the house but she tolerates them like I do her cat.

This brings up the interesting discussion of, "Do you think that post '02 the Cuban tobacco has been cooked or is it just blended different?"

My only opinion on this is not one of experience but one that I have read on another board, I would like to hear some FOGs comment on the differences between, the more recent releases compared to pre '00.

Pre-2000 vs. post is really a lateral discussion. My initial question was about aging.

I have no doubt that a 2005 cigar -- aged properly -- will be fantastic in 7 - 10 years.

<snip...> For sure, what we buy now is enjoyable and ageworthy, but the tobacco strains have come a long way from even those found in 1997/98 vintages.

Wilkey

So you are saying that a 98 box is a good acquisition, price aside?

Brian

<snip...> For sure, what we buy now is enjoyable and ageworthy, but the tobacco strains have come a long way from even those found in 1997/98 vintages.

Wilkey

Brian

Brian,

You just can't answer that question in general terms. Ideally, an aged cigar is a good experience but practically, there are just so many things that can go wrong with vendor-aged stock. It doesn't take a very long exposure to adverse conditions to drain a great cigar down to utter mediocrity, or worse.

As for the merits of the tobacco used in cigars of that time period versus cigars of the present, people tend to hold rather clear and strong opinions on this point. I will say that some of the best Cuban cigars I've had recently have been 2005. Keep in mind this means that I enjoy cigars smoked young. Those who prefer the profiles of matured cigars would dissent.

Wilkey

Wilkey

Brian

Brian,

You just can't answer that question in general terms. Ideally, an aged cigar is a good experience but practically, there are just so many things that can go wrong with vendor-aged stock. It doesn't take a very long exposure to adverse conditions to drain a great cigar down to utter mediocrity, or worse.

As for the merits of the tobacco used in cigars of that time period versus cigars of the present, people tend to hold rather clear and strong opinions on this point. I will say that some of the best Cuban cigars I've had recently have been 2005. Keep in mind this means that I enjoy cigars smoked young. Those who prefer the profiles of matured cigars would dissent.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

Thanks for the observation.

That may be true! Conversely, a reputable vendor may very well store the boxes better than we do, untouched in the right conditions for years.

Coincidently, I was fortunate to acquire a number of 98 boxes, H Up Conn1, Cohiba IV to name two smokes. While I am no expert, I can tell you that my pallet went - "oh boy, this is unbelievable", in comparison to 2005 sticks. I do agree that certain sticks smoke great young such as a Mag 46 and a RASS.

Maybe I got lucky or maybe my vendor is reputable and I found my own luck. :whistling:

Brian

The hardest part is when you like them with just one or two years on them and try to keep them for another 7 or 8 years. ;)

Exactly right, Brian. For example, I'd expect J. J. Fox in London to store their cigars impeccably and in conditions suitable for the long term. Many of the online sources, though, are much more touch and go.

Perhaps you have a palate that's biased toward mature cigars? You poor bastard. :D

AVB, that's when you stagger purchases I guess.

Wilkey