• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very very upset

44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

You should get beads...

Don't even need a hygrometer with them...

jsm11 said:
I see that now, post #6...

Yeah, I meant "thread" and put OP.   I call it "lack of sleep/parent brain."   :sign:

jsm11 said:
You should get beads...

Beads are nice, but they won't help you when the humidor is over-humidified. 

tomthirtysix said:

You should get beads...

Beads are nice, but they won't help you when the humidor is over-humidified. 

Excellent point.  Speaking of, since you've calibrated the hygro, did you put it back in the humi?  Whats the reading?

Guys, the frustrating thing to me is that these questions, these problems, have all been answered a million times.  This forum is an absolute wealth of information; all you have to do is take the time to search for it.

Maintaining RH in a humidor really isn't hard science.  Knowing the difference between mold and plume is simple, once you understand what they are.  Cello on or cello off has been debated and debunked to death.

It's not that people don't want to help a guy out, but a little leg work on the part of the person with questions usually yields a pretty solid and proven answer.

As they say, one man's opinion......B.B.S.

989898989898989898989898989898989898989898555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

diapanos said:
I'm going to assume that this wad just a fluke and move on

No, assume you have mold spores in your humidor, just like the rest of us.  If this is the first time you've seen a moldy cigar, then maybe you don't realize that foot mold is much less common than wrapper mold.

Look at the clues these cigars are giving you:

Foot mold
Proper humidity
Proper temp
Lack of wrapper mold

Three out of four point to a properly maintained humidor.  Therefor there is something different and in common to the fuzzy cigars. Were the feet right up against the beads? Were they all purchased at the same time and place? Etc.

Now, I understand you just threw away what may have been a lot of money to you, that's never fun.  Call it a lesson in the cigar hobby and move on.  Do your homework and figure out what might have happened.  No one here saw these cigars in situ. No one here was with you when you bought them.  No one here can tell you why it happened.  All of the possible causes of mold have been covered numerous times in the 13 years of experience recorded in these forums. Only you can solve this riddle and you are going to have to do some work to get your answers.

Matt and others have given you very good information and advice. Now it is up to you to use it the way you see fit. Good luck, you will learn from this lesson.

I refrained from posting a couple of days ago but I also wanted to ask if most of the moldy cigars were purchased from a specific vendor or are of a particular cigar line/brand/vitola?  Even more worrisome would be that those cigars originally had some mold throughout, a vendor wiped them off and then sold them to you hoping you wouldn't hold on to them for too long.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well to me that points to the ones from CB.

A similar thing happened to me once...many years ago.  I was looking for a particular cigar to try, and I happened upon a local tobacco shop with a small walk in in the back.  I walked in there and lo and behold they had what I was looking for.  I think it was one stick.  Bought it, came home and put it in my humi, along with a handful of other sticks...I didn't have too many back then, hell I still don't but thats besides the point.  Came back probably 2 days later to inspect and maybe pull something out, when I noticed the new stick looked like a moldy piece of bread lol.  Granted I was so new I was still using the foam sponges for humidity.  

I freaked out.  I think I saved maybe 2 sticks..heck I don't recall exactly anymore, tossed everything out including the foam. Put the sticks I saved to be smoked in some tupperware, and I recall smoking them in short order.  Ordered beads.  Since I had no sticks, I went and left the humi open for about 2 weeks to dry out completely.  After that I went to the store and got some very fine grit sandpaper and lightly sanded every part of the inside of the humi.  Vacuumed all dust out, let it set another few days, then re seasoned it with the beads, and slowly added in some stock a little at a time.

Never had a problem since.  I don't even have that humi anymore, my buddy does but its still working just fine.  To this day I still don't know if it was the cigar or the foam or both.  However I went back to that store after and what I failed to see the first time..probably because I was surprised to see what I was looking for, was that they were pretty much making it rain inside their humi, and over humidifying their sticks.  I mean when your in a small humi and they have a stand up humidifier running so much you can see the water vapor...maybe its a bit much.  

I never went back, lol.

##################################################################################################################################