• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinyl windows for our house? Best brands?

iluvmysh

There are so many to choose from. Is there any particular brand out there there's more well-known/better quality than others? I've read up on the differences between them (ie heatwelded, mechanically fastened, chambers, AMAA, NFRC, etc). I would like to know about brands so I don't have to drive a million miles to home-depot to compare their stuff to a smaller specialized exteremely expensive store's quality products/prices.

TIA.

This doesn't answer your question but I don't know anyone who has been satisfied with their vinyl window in the long run of 10+ years. Good luck in your search though.

First, I would go with Anderson Windows which are vinyl clad wood, these are what I used in my last two homes and I love them. I did use one Marvin Window, which is vinyl, in a bathroom as I didn't want a wood window in that particular room. Nice looking window and it performs quite well, from the outside it closely matches the Anderson Windows on the same wall.

:cool:

As AVB said and NorCal, i know of a few fols who have gone to clad wood windows after a period of time, namely anderson and pella and marvin. talk to you local building supplier, not the window companies, to get some honest, professional advice. i used to sell windows and am a former architecture student, now kitchen designer, and most go with a clad window these days. strength of wood, ease of vinyl. most new windows tilt out, which used to be a replacement window niche. like i said, talk to your local lumber yard (not home depot or lowes, but a real contractors lumber yard). hope this helps,
Rob

We went with the aluminium clad wood core Anderson windows. Everything is good so far but they are only 4 years old.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like the general census is to go with the wood/aluminum clad. I'll research more. If anyone else has more to say about this subject, by all means. Thanks again guys.

can't help too much, as we went with custom made vinyl here locally. but I CAN tell you that we are 150% pleased we did, and our heating bill dropped pretty dramatically afterwards. We used to sit downstairs and watch TV with a blacket- across our necks! (window was above us, as basement is half underground)

nowadays, we find we sometimes open the windows to cool it off!
Good luck...

Only thing I can say is stay the hell away from Home Depot. On of my best and oldest friends owns his own contracting business, and the stuff they sell in HD may have name brands on it, but they are second rate products. He hates when he can't talk people out of using their stuff, because he always ends up being blamed whent their crap fails. (Factory seconds mights be acceptable for your cigars, but not for your home ;) ).

Only thing I can say is stay the hell away from Home Depot. On of my best and oldest friends owns his own contracting business, and the stuff they sell in HD may have name brands on it, but they are second rate products. He hates when he can't talk people out of using their stuff, because he always ends up being blamed whent their crap fails. (Factory seconds mights be acceptable for your cigars, but not for your home ;) ).
as former long time (9yrs) manager at home depot, i can vouch for this statment. deals are made for refurbs and 2nds in every store and every department. especially the hampton bay stuff (which is owned by depot). just a heads up, as i stated in my earlier post, do yourself a favor and go to a real lumber yard with employees who know their stuff, you will not regret it. and lowes isn't any better!

Thanks for the advice guys. All of your information have been very helpful.