• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want to get a smoker

drunkfish3

Angry Fish
I am in the market for a smoker but don't know what to get. Gas, Charcoal, electric, and which one/brand. I want to be able to smoke ribs, brisket, and make pulled pork. I would like to spend no more then $150 but could be talked into spending a little more for a good reason. I would like something easy to use since this will be my first time doing this. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an older and smaller model. I love it. Here is a link to the newer model LINKY.

I believe Walmart carries a smaller version around $139.00

Check this out for more info. LINKY I found this site a while ago. Great bunch of guys and a lot of good info.

Hope this helps

Alan

I have a Brinkman Smoker, they go for $50+-. It has two grills vertically stacked and a pan for water to keep everything moist. It's nowhere as tight as the others mentioned but works great for me. We basically do Turkey, Ribs and Pork Butts. Most of the time I just keep it going for about 4 hours and then put the meat in the oven to bring it to the proper temperature. I find 4 hours to be plenty of time to get the flavors needed.
Good luck.
Tom

I looked at that a little expensive.

first link doesn't work thanks for the second link i will.

When you came to CP, how many humi's did you have? How many do you have now? :laugh:

You could also smoke in a Weber Kettle...as well as grill.

I have a Brinkman Smoker, they go for $50+-. It has two grills vertically stacked and a pan for water to keep everything moist. It's nowhere as tight as the others mentioned but works great for me. We basically do Turkey, Ribs and Pork Butts. Most of the time I just keep it going for about 4 hours and then put the meat in the oven to bring it to the proper temperature. I find 4 hours to be plenty of time to get the flavors needed.
Good luck.
Tom

Ooooo...Tom makes GREAT Ribs!!!!
:thumbs:

For the money by far your best bet is to build a UDS, ugly/upright drum smoker. I have all the part to do it and plan on doing it this weekend. I will be taking pictures of a the build and make a build thread on another forum and could post it here too if others are interested.

You just need a 55 gallon drum and some parts from the local hardware store. It can be built in under an hour. What makes it so good is how airtight it is. You can easily burn at 225 degrees for 16+ hours without touching it or adding more coal. If you just google "UDS build" it will come back with many forums and they have become very popular.

For the money by far your best bet is to build a UDS, ugly/upright drum smoker. I have all the part to do it and plan on doing it this weekend. I will be taking pictures of a the build and make a build thread on another forum and could post it here too if others are interested.

You just need a 55 gallon drum and some parts from the local hardware store. It can be built in under an hour. What makes it so good is how airtight it is. You can easily burn at 225 degrees for 16+ hours without touching it or adding more coal. If you just google "UDS build" it will come back with many forums and they have become very popular.

There is a guy by me that makes these and they start at $200 My link what do you think.

There is a guy by me that makes these and they start at $200 My link what do you think.

Here's someones 'breakdown'!

So, yea...but, for a little more you can get a full warranty from Weber...sooo.... ???

That is pretty high. You can do it yourself for around $100. The hardest part is finding the drum but they usually aren't too hard to find if you have any sort of industrial sections near you.

So, yea...but, for a little more you can get a full warranty from Weber...sooo.... ???

They also paid someone to weld it for them which is going to cost a lot more than just doing it yourself and bolting it together instead of welding. Also, you could get away with not using the nipples and valves and just magnets instead. Many people do that.

FWIW I use a Weber Kettle for smoking and some grilling, although my Weber Genesis is my primary grilling tool. Like Gary said, you will get dual functionality out of one and they are well worth the $. I actually have a WSM at my in-laws house but I just don't have room for a third grill on my patio lol. My best advice was don't try and go cheaper than a WSM, you get what you pay for. Hell if I could justify it I would buy a bradley tomorrow.

That is pretty high. You can do it yourself for around $100. The hardest part is finding the drum but they usually aren't too hard to find if you have any sort of industrial sections near you.

They also paid someone to weld it for them which is going to cost a lot more than just doing it yourself and bolting it together instead of welding. Also, you could get away with not using the nipples and valves and just magnets instead. Many people do that.

i think i have a drum at work. so maybe i will build one.

I guess it depends on how much time/effort you want to dedicate to it. If you’re content to hang around all day, and tend to your fire, monitor temperature, etc., then you can’t do any better than a WSM. I would tell you to stay far, far away from the el cheapo Brinkman(electric or charcoal). However, if you are looking for a set it, and forget it type smoker, look at the electric cabinet smokers. Either the pellet fed smokers, or any of the wood chip cabinets in general. As much as I would love a WSM, right now I’m busy enough to not have time to sit and watch a smoker all day on the weekends, so I have an electric cabinet and I’m pretty pleased with my results.

I really like my chargriller barrel smoker with the off set firebox. Works really well for me. I like the cast iron grates that come with it My Link

I really like my chargriller barrel smoker with the off set firebox. Works really well for me. I like the cast iron grates that come with it My Link

yeah i saw that one but it takes u a lot of room. they is a guy near me selling a sightly used one for $95.

Saw this one onsale at cabela's My link i thinking a electric one might be better i like the idea of setting it and not having to be around to watch it.

Saw this one onsale at cabela's My link i thinking a electric one might be better i like the idea of setting it and not having to be around to watch it.

Both the UDS and WSM are pretty much set and forget. The UDS will easily burn at a steady temp without reloading for 16+ hours and I don't think the WSM will do that long but it will still go a long time.

That's what I have. Love it.

how long have you had it? any problems with it? i read somewhere that some people were having problems with the controls not working after a season.

Both the UDS and WSM are pretty much set and forget. The UDS will easily burn at a steady temp without reloading for 16+ hours and I don't think the WSM will do that long but it will still go a long time.

ok thanks i like the WSM but it is almost $300 for the 18"