• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want to get a smoker

I was reading this thread on the 1st or 2nd and my wife was looking over my shoulder asking if she would be able to smoke fish in any of these. I told her sure they would cook and smoke any fish you want, any particular one you like? She told me that she would look into it more and get back to me. Well last night I got my marching orders to price out a BGE and she'll pay for it. I certainly found a keeper but while she may pay for it you know who is going to do all the work :p

But ultimately, aren't you paying for it as well? LOL.

Sorta. We each have our own accounts for our play money. Mine goes to booze and her's to stuff she wants so it isn't really impacting the household finances.

I was reading this thread on the 1st or 2nd and my wife was looking over my shoulder asking if she would be able to smoke fish in any of these. I told her sure they would cook and smoke any fish you want, any particular one you like? She told me that she would look into it more and get back to me. Well last night I got my marching orders to price out a BGE and she'll pay for it. I certainly found a keeper but while she may pay for it you know who is going to do all the work :p

You're a bastard! I just wanted to let you know that. :D

must be nice.

^ That' what we have at home, and it's great! You can smoke a whole turkey in that thing!

The better question is "When should I show up to be your taste tester?"

You forgot already ???

The better question is "When should I show up to be your taste tester?"

I have always gotten good reviews on my smoked salmon. I use Alton Browns recipe, but cut the salt back a little. For what its worth I am allergic to fish so have no really practical experience, but my family loves it.

Alton Brown's Smoked Salmon

I'm also going to say the WSM. I ended up getting my 18" for about $180, and the 22" for $300. I've been calling them the Ronco of smokers, because once you get them to temp you really don't have to play with them much. You can get around 14 hours of smoke without adding charcoal.

I have had one like this for 13 plus years works great. Had a buddy weld all the seams and repaint about every other year. The legs are starting to rust but the grill body seems fine. Think Ill put it on some cement blocks and probably get a couple more years out of it

Don

This is what I have:

0263-02219-8209-p1.jpg

You can find them for about $150 or so, New Braunfels Hondo Smoker.

Put the egg on order today and should have it up and running by next weekend. Laid low on the accessories until we figure out what we would use or need. Just got the plate setter and the baking stone for the moment, I have a rib rack and a beer can chicken thing from the other grill which can transfer over. That should do for awhile.

I had a Brinkman charcoal smoker and used it once and threw it out. I was too much work to control the fire. Then I got the WSM and have been pleased ever since. It's pretty much set it and forget it once you get the fire going. The improved model introduced last year as a built in thermometer in the lid and a larger water pan. Use the Minion method for firing it and it maintains 225 or so all night long unattended. It's a little expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

I almost got caught in the old bait and switch. I found a fairly local place that said they would price match so I drove up there, told them what I wanted and they said they would have to see if it was in the warehouse and call be back once they found out. They called the next day, I put a downpayment on my card and drove up there to pick it up today. Once I got there it was missing one of the items I wanted but they were still charging the agree upon price. They wanted another $80 for the other piece which I said wasn't going to happen. Then I got the sob story about how they had to pay for shipping to get it there and that they were giving me a special deal and were almost losing money etc etc.

It took a while but I had them refund my card and once I got home found another dealer who had had the unit I wanted in stock at the price I wanted to pay. I'm picking it up Friday. Gotta drive 50 miles to get it but the pricing makes it worthwhile.

I have a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker and I'll never use anything else. LOVE IT. ribs, brisket, shoulders, and fish fish fish. Set and forget, totally adjustable down to minor temp changes, and more. Drawback is you have to use their pucks. But not enough to make me change.

Got my Egg today, put it together and hope to do my first chicken Sunday. Once I get the hand of it a Boston Butt will be next.

Did a test run, ran it up to 700 degrees and back down to 200. Kept it there for 6 hours and didn't even use half the fuel. Beer Can Chicken tomorrow. :thumbs:

Here's my smoker with today's treats: Bone-in Pork Country Style Ribs and Bone-in Boston Butt. Dry Rubbed for 36 hours (I'm a fan of Alton Brown's ratio for dry rub: 8 parts sweet/brown sugar, 3 parts salt, 3 parts spice, 1 part whatever you like. I tend to use cumin, ground mustard, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and a heaping helping of various pepper/chili powders for the 3 parts spice and 1 part whatever you like. The salt portion I use a mix of sea, kosher, onion, celery and garlic salts).

4611374791_c35f80415a.jpg

4611409943_38351ca371.jpg

4611401501_ee32f57359.jpg

As for the Smoker Build:
2 20" Terra Cota Pots (Home Depot)-$43/pot
1 18" Weber Round Grill Plate (Home Depot)-$10
1 16" Vegetable Grill Plate (Can't see it in pictures)-$10 (Local Ace Hardware)
2 Weber Grill Thermometers-$10 (Local Ace Hardware)
Bolts, Nuts, Chain for a lifting handle-$2
1 Proctor Silex Hot Plate-$10 (Menards Hardware Store)
1 Charbroil Cast Iron Smoker Box (Home Depot)-$10 I ditch the lid. You can use any heavy pie pan you have lying around or get one of these. The idea is that a hot plate works on an on-off principle, it'll hit temp then shut off till it loses enough temp, then go back on. So, in the in-between periods, you want something that will maintain its heat, like cast iron or a heavy duty pie pan.

On the hot plate, as you can see, or rather can't see because I extended the control knob (a plastic bic pen cut to size and ink piece removed) so that I could control it outside the smoker (Easy to drill a hole with a masonry bit). I did the same thing for my Grill thermometer halfway up the smoker, simple hole with masonry bit.

This baby keeps temperature really well and with huge wood chunks (not chips), I only need to reload once over 12 hours.