• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Warm evenings and beer....

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Last night was my first spring/summer beer experience of 2008 and while sitting out back enjoying a Rochefort 6, I realized Belgian Ales are my preferred summer beers. This wasn’t something I consciously decided, in fact before yesterday if you would of asked I would have said summer for me is all about the German Ales and Lagers which I still love, but for some reason those damned Belgian Ales remind me of warm evenings on the patio with a nice cigar and friendly conversation. I can’t wait for many many more of those nights.

Anyway, lets hear what you guys like to drink in the summer and why.

For me it's all about the Pilsners...and to a lesser extent summer saisons and Macro lagers. When I have the opportunity to drink what I want (usually at my own house), it's tough to beat a Victory Prima Pils or Troegs Sunshine Pils after mowing the lawn or other such yardwork. With a nice cigar or meal, though, I agree Jonas, there's something about those summer Belgian Ales. Victory Saison, Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale and the like all make for an enjoyable evening. Of course, summer is also the time I visit friends and family who aren't so wise in the ways of beer, so I spend a fair amount of time drinking Yeungling Lager and semi-decent macros as well (PBR, Miller High Life, Straub out in Western PA, etc.).

I totally agree on Belgian Ales in the Summer being an excellent choice. Hefeweizens are also quite nice that time of year.

Troegs makes a fantastic beer for warm summer days called Sunshine Pils. This is definitely a six pack I grab whenever I see it in the summer and would definitely recommend trying it.

If you are looking for an ultra refreshing beer, and you are not totally opposed to the idea of fruit being in a beer, then I would recommend looking for Oxford Rasberry Wheat Beer. This blows away all other commercial fruit beers IMO. The key to it is that the fruit is very suttle.

Pale ales are often my standard during the summer. Usually Sierra Nevada, but 2 years ago I was often buying something called "ralley cap" Pale ale. I won't recommend it now as they have changed their recipe to include a large amount of lemon zest which is way overdone. There used to be a suttle hint in the beer which was great.

I find IPA's very refreshing in the warmer months especially with their citrusy profiles, but I have to be careful when it comes to DIPA's whoa momma they pack a punch. I also resort to lighter easy drinking lagers. I am open to some Micro suggestions, as most of my lager experience is with Macro's. :thumbs:

I find IPA's very refreshing in the warmer months especially with their citrusy profiles, but I have to be careful when it comes to DIPA's whoa momma they pack a punch. I also resort to lighter easy drinking lagers. I am open to some Micro suggestions, as most of my lager experience is with Macro's. :thumbs:
Victory makes some great lagers...a rarity for craft breweries these days. I'm just finishing up my case of St. Victorious Dopplebock now, and already have some St. Boisterous Maibock waiting in the wings. Victory Lager (Munich Helles Lager) is a good, all-year substitution for Yeungling, and I crave their Festbier Oktoberfest in the fall. They also do a "Throwback Lager" that's a low ABV macro-style post prohibition lager made with a small amount of adjuncts, but you can only get that on tap here (they've never bottled it).

Other good ones to try that you can probably get in CA are Brooklyn Lager, Stoudts Gold Lager, Fort Collins Spring Bock, and Rogue Dead Guy (though there aren't many Rogue fans here, I don't think...)

Summer? Nasty, hot and humid Summer? Black flies, so thick, they drive the moose out of the woods Summer? Miller High Life, in pounders.

Doc.

Summer? Nasty, hot and humid Summer? Black flies, so thick, they drive the moose out of the woods Summer? Miller High Life, in pounders.

Doc.

Can't disagree with you there Doc. When its sweltering outside and I need liquid relief, MHL it is. Hell, you will find somewhere between a 12 and a 30 pack packed into my beer fridge drawers 365 days a year.

DIPA's are right up there for me as well. I am a hop-whore so they are always in season. :laugh:

I could see those Nugget Nectars I got from Mike being a real thirst quencher on a hot summer day. I hope my last 5 make it that far :blush:

Also, I know I am breaking some rules here but you Mex's know what I am talking about...Clamato and Tecate and a dash of lime :thumbs: :thumbs:

Man I can drink those all day!

Belgian Wit is up there for me along with English Bitter. On a hot day, it's tough to beat London Pride or ESB from Fullers. Something about that flavorful beer without the high alcohol, makes it perfect on a hot day!
But IPA and DIPA is, like Jonas says, always in season.
Now for some hot days to enjoy some of these beers!

I could see those Nugget Nectars I got from Mike being a real thirst quencher on a hot summer day. I hope my last 5 make it that far :blush:

Also, I know I am breaking some rules here but you Mex's know what I am talking about...Clamato and Tecate and a dash of lime :thumbs: :thumbs:

Man I can drink those all day!

Mike,

Hit me up on a Friday and when can burn one at Havana House. Have you ever been there? The Bay of Pigs is the sh*t I have been spared many hangovers thanks to a more than a few of those. Josh (hoshnasi) and I first met at the HH last year and we had a blast! :thumbs:

Call me what you want, but I drink quads, RIS, barleywine, etc year round.

If I'm having something while I golf, mow, garden, etc. though, I tend to go for Pale Ales, Sierra Nevada probably being my go-to, but I really enjoy Big Sky Scape Goat, OB Dale's Ale, and GD Fresh Hop too. Also can't go wrong with PBR or High Life, especially in the pounders.

edit: Forgot to mention that if I could get Alpha King here, I'd never buy another APA.

I've actually been thinking a lot lately about my summer beer lineup. Considering I'm the only beer drinker in the house and we have to buy cases for the most part, it makes selecting a rotation a little more complicated. I have one last case of Nugget Nectar hiding in the corner of the cellar, so that's a definite, and I'll probably add a case each of Troegs Sunshine Pils, Victory Prima Pils, and Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale. I also need some Macro for those times when I just want to "have a beer", so I'm leaning towards PBR and Straub (St. Mary's, PA...try it!). That makes 6 cases for really just 4.5 months. An awful lot considering I also have some leftover HopSlam, a mixed case of the new PBC and a variety of other one-offs in the fridge. Any other suggestions for good summer drinking that I might be able to scare up a bottle or two of around here?