• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Was Dad a cigar smoker?

statelandman

My Dad was a chain cigar smoker. Everyone else in the family hated the smell and the look of that chewed up butt sticking out of the corner of his mouth. He smoked a pipe sometimes, too, so every Christmas we would get him pipe tobacco in the hope that he would give up the cigars. LOL!
I turned 18 about the time Clint Eastwood was making those "Fist Full of Dollars" movies, so naturally my first stogie was a little job - about the size of an AF Exquisitos. I only dabbled in cigars for the next 30 years or so. Then a couple of months ago, my brother-in-law got me back into it. In the last two months, I have spent more on cigars and smoked more types and brands than in the previous 30 years put together. Now I keep a notebook and I even have a humidor. I've stocked it with AF, Baccarrat, HDM, Punch, AVO, Ashton, CAO & Sancho Panza, to name a few. (D#*@, but I'm hooked on that stupid auction site!)
Does anybody else have a family member (hopefully male, or is that politically incorrect to say?) that influenced their present hobby?

Nope, my dad was a cigarette smoker.

It was a customer of mine that gave me my first *real* cigar about 7 years ago. I thought it was ok, and smoked one now and then. I started smoking them about 9 months ago on a regular basis. Now I have a small refigador and a desktop humidor :p

Nick

Actually, no one in my family smoked cigars. My father was interested in taking up pipe-smoking before he died, but never got around to it. I got hooked through a friend, and it's been all downhill since. I'd dabbled since then, but something a few months ago really kicked in. Since then I've picked up an Ambiente, and stocked it with a bunch of different stuff...CAO, RyJ, Montecristo, Cohiba, Ashton (VSG), and a few Opus X. I shudder to think of how much I've spent on cigars/accessories in the past few months....

My pop didn't smoke at all. I smoked my first stick about 6 months ago as part of a celebration for finally putting a long term ex-girlfriend behind me. So it looks like she did me a favor by dumping me afterall ;) Now I'm a full on degenerate cigar junkie! But if this site is any indication at all of the quality individuals that enjoy a good cigar well then I guess I couldn't have picked a better hobby.

Growing up in New York in an "old" ;) ;) Italian family, everyone smoked cigars! I even have an Aunt who is now in her 70's that will spark one up with you :p

My dad burned through dozens and dozens (and dozens) of boxes of Te Amo El Presidente's before I was born, but he smoked Redwood Sienna (or something) pipe tobacco almost all day for 40 years until 2001 when he quit cold-turkey. I don't understand how, but he did.

Though in all that time that he did, I never smoked with him.

Cheers,
Dixie

Dad smoked a pipe and gave it up over 20 years ago. I'm just a walking nicotine stick, if I ain't smokin', I'm dippin'. Or Both

Ole' pops use too smoke boxes of El Productos and a **** load of Kool Filter Kings cigarettes. I do remember him smoking those hard ass Italian Annesette cigars and a Cuban now and again. :)

All my uncles smoked cigars back then candellas were actually in. On holiday at my grandmas my uncle put me on his knee and gave me his cigar much to the horror of my mother. My mom tells me her father would smoke on Sundays with his buddies way back when and that my smoking around her brings back memories of when she was growing up.

Started smoking cigars in the 70's on the golf course from cheapy store boughts to Thompsons, to Oakbrook Tabacco shop .......................

BenjieV ;)

My great-grandfather smoked non-stop. Every photo we have of him he's got a cigar sticking out of his mouth. He past away went I was six so I have a vague rememberance of him.

My dad used to smoke a pipe when he was younger and a cigar every now and then, but he was (and still is) a cigarette smoker... unfortunately so am I.

But I have been smoking cigars here and there for about the last 7 years, I just haven't smoked the amount I do no until about 6 months ago.

Not here. Chain smoked cigs. I can remember my great grandfather who I was very close to having an ocasional one. Oh well,they are good folks and I don't hold it against them. :0 :p

Not my father! I thinks I am the only one in my family. My grandfather smoked a pipe and my dad smoked a pipe until I was about 4. I'm the black sheep of the family - The only one who smokes, drinks, and, well lets just stop there!
Cigar Bid is very addicting, as well as Cigars Intl. Its easy to get carried away with them 5 packs. And hey, eBay for accessories - I can't begin to tell how many cases, cutters, etc I have from eBay!

My dad used to smoke five cigars and two packs of cigs a day. He smoked white owls but occassionally he would order some smokes from Thompsons. He quit cold turkey about ten years ago, but he'll still stick his head in my humidor whenever he comes to visit ;)

Grandfather, El Producto by the box. Father, pipe and cigars, mostly Garcia Vega.
I started on cigs 40 years ago, now cigars and pipes. Finally got my Father on real cigars (handrolled) 3 years ago, I just have to buy them for him. :p

Father - NO

Grand Father - NO

Great Grand Father - YES....he would stop whatever it was he was doing at 4:00 PM sharp everyday and have a cocktail and an cigar. He lived until he was 99. I cant stop whatever I'm doing at 4:00 but I sure try to get a cigar and a cocktail in everyday...for health reasons you know!! :D

dad and grandpa were both cigarette smokers. dad wood have an occasional white owl when were out in the boat fishing.

Horse said:
Dad smoked a pipe and gave it up over 20 years ago. I'm just a walking nicotine stick, if I ain't smokin', I'm dippin'. Or Both
You and me both Horse. I have a dip in 24/7 unless I am smoking, eating or sleeping.

Sam