• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Watcha reading?

I've been reading This Is Not Civilization by Robert Rosenberg. I'm not far into it, but I don't think it's about war. :laugh:

The Good Book :) just finished the 'John Rain' books by Barry Eisler

"Almost A Miracle" by John Ferling. A history of the American Revolutionary War.

Next up are "The Summer of 1787" by Stewart and then "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides.

That's a great book. You will enjoy it - I certainly did.

"Almost A Miracle" by John Ferling. A history of the American Revolutionary War.

Next up are "The Summer of 1787" by Stewart and then "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides.

That's a great book. You will enjoy it - I certainly did.

I was pretty sure I would. Now I'm certain. :cool:

Let me know how "Almost a Miracle" reads. I have it in my stack of books to begin and, depending on what I hear, may move it up in the rotation.

Anna Karenina.

May be the first book over 500 pages I have ever attempted to read.

Rather interesting thus far. For some reason, Russian history fascinates me.

Just finished - Rich Dad Poor Dad, and now am reading - NOW Discover your strenghts by Marcus Buckingham

Scott

Let me know how "Almost a Miracle" reads. I have it in my stack of books to begin and, depending on what I hear, may move it up in the rotation.

"Almost A Miracle" is a good read. (Not exceptional but solid.) Ferling is a respected scholar when it comes to the War of Independence.

I've been on an American history kick for a few years concentrating on the Civil War (Shelby Foote's massive trilogy), the Pilgrims & Puritans (Mayflower by Philbrick) and any number of other books on WWII etc.

I recently completed 1776 by McCullough and am using Savas and Dameron's "Guide to the Battles Of the American Revolution" as a companion volume that has synopses of every major battle and campaign.

Feel free to email or PM me if I can be of any assistance or offer any recommendations.

Glad to know we share an interest beyond cigars. :cool:

I am reading by JOHN MAXWELL 21 Laws of Leadership. almost done. next to move on the some Fantasy R.A Salvatore news book just came out last month that's next.

"Sonny's Blues" is a short story classic. If you like James Baldwin, then you might look at his essay collection, Notes of a Native Son.

I've been reading essays lately.

Camus-The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays is very simple to read on the surface. Probably the most beautiful essay collection I've read.

DH Lawrence-Studies in Classic American Literature has the best essay on Moby Dick that I've ever read.
Thanks for the tip. I like essays.

Been reading Lamb by C. Moore. Light reading in the vein of C.Hiaasen, whom I enjoy.

I just finished the book I posted about previously. Now I need another war book! Any suggestions? I usually read books about WW2, Vietnam, and wouldnt mind another Iraq War book. I usually enjoy books that are written by past soldiers' experiences. (not sure if that is considered a biography? or what? (I guess I need to read more, huh?) Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :thumbs:

Currently plowing through "One Palestine, Complete," by Tom Segev. Very readable history about the British Mandate from WWI through 1948. Also "Rabbi Jesus," by Bruce Chilton, who taught at my alma mater (never had a class with him, though I did study Arabic with his son!)

I'm terrible at finishing books, and I've vowed to see those two through before cracking open an Iliad that a friend recently sent me. Looks to be a good Fall!

I just finished the book I posted about previously. Now I need another war book! Any suggestions? I usually read books about WW2, Vietnam, and wouldnt mind another Iraq War book. I usually enjoy books that are written by past soldiers' experiences. (not sure if that is considered a biography? or what? (I guess I need to read more, huh?) Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :thumbs:

Ever read Band Of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose? If you have not, I highly reccomend it.
Then go out and find the HBO miniseries DVD set and watch it. Both my wife and I could not stop watching it.

I'm currently reading Between A Rock And A Hard Place by Arron Ralston. A true story about an outdoorsman who became trapped when a boulder shifted trapping his arm. After days with no water or rescue in sight, he did the unthinkable, and chose to cut off his arm.
I love to read non fiction, triumph over adversity stories.

I just read "Are you my mother?" and "Where the wild things are" to my kids.

The only books I read anymore all have pictures.

Stinki

Lone Survivor (Present)
Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War (Present)
Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG (vietnam)
Down Range: Navy SEALs in the War on Terrorism (present(

I'm starting the second book of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, in the middle of Fredrik Pohl's Gateway, and re-reading a recent printing of Maxwell Maltz's Psycho-Cybernetics when I feel like it. I don't really get into non-fiction or general fiction much. I usually read fantasy novels. No, not that kind of fantasy, I'm talking about castles and knights and that kind of brainless crap.

If you want a good story, read Miles Davis' autobiography. Be ready for "not just a little" blue language.