• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Watches; relegated to Fashion Accessory or still "needed"?

I love pocket watches more so then wrist watches. They just seem more elegant. What maintenance requirements did that thing have? The few pocket watches I have had were not that high end.

They need to be cleaned, lubricated and calibrated once a year. This requires a competent watch maker to take it completely apart and put it back together again. Back in the old days this was common and watchmakers were a dime a dozen. Not so anymore.

Doc

I love Pocket Watches. I don't think I'd get one now because it is the same as pulling out a phone, to me. BUT, man, they have a certain elegance.
I had a timex that my Grandmother gave me. Lasted several years. Nothing fancy, but I did love it. 
I am too "frugal" to spend money maintaining a high quality one but, still, always tempting.

I too have a pocket watch. It's made by Apple. Only maintenance is nightly charging, but it is a little bulky.

My job is pretty dependent upon Distance = Rate x Time, so much so that I'm actually required to wear one.  I've been issued a few Casio G-Shocks over the years.  I have a Pulsar that I wear on occasion if I want something a little more dressy.  I also have a Garmin Fenix 2, but that probably counts more as a GPS than a watch. 

I would love to get a Tag Link someday, but that's a lot of coin to spend for a fashion accessory.

Ended up getting 2 new watches today. Don't want to get 2, but the sales lady was slow as shit, and she gave me a huge discount. Will try to post pics later.

These are what I picked up.

Also just bought another Tissot.  I will post pics when I get it.

Two nice looking watches there! I'm looking at the Seiko automatics. No more batteries for me. Decided I still need a watch.

I have not ventured into the automatic realm yet. That is quite an investment for something good. I do like the Solar/Eco-Drive models though.

ilikefishes said:
These are what I picked up.

Also just bought another Tissot.  I will post pics when I get it.
The first watch actually did nothing for me. I paid it forward to one of my Seachicken friends. Purchased quote a few others in the last several months. Will try and post up some pictures. Wear them in good health my friends.

MadMonk said:
Two nice looking watches there! I'm looking at the Seiko automatics. No more batteries for me. Decided I still need a watch.

I had a Seiko automatic that lasted about 7 years before it wouldn't recharge, then I needed to replace the battery every 5-6 months.  It was to a point where I couldn't trust it anymore.  I got a Citizen ecodrive last year and it's held time like a champ.  We'll see how long this one lasts.

I use my phone as a watch, but I like to gawk at the watches on Bahnhofstrasse. There are obe or two Rolex shops, Tissot and others, with watches costing in the thousands. Even a Swatch there runs over 100 CHF.
I use my phone as a watch, but I like to gawk at the watches on Bahnhofstrasse. There are obe or two Rolex shops, Tissot and others, with watches costing in the thousands. Even a Swatch there runs over 100 CHF.

I decided to take some pics of my small watch collection.  No real fancy ones, although I dig my Festina watches.  I never wear them except when I'm going out on occasion.  I want to get some more but damn bills keep getting in the way.
11wdg21.jpg

n36crt.jpg

9iw6q9.jpg

29dtrvb.jpg

1037g49.jpg

I wear a watch every day, I need it for work.  I have one in 24 hour format, digital, with day and date.  I go to work at 7pm and get off at 7am.  I'm constantly having to record day, date and time in 24 hour format.  It's a no-brainer for me.