• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Watches; relegated to Fashion Accessory or still "needed"?

I wear my G-Shock daily for about eight years now.  It's solar charged, and I haven't had to replace the battery yet.  It also sets itself every night.  I hate carrying around my phone as it is.  I'm guilty of keeping my nose in it more often than I need to, but I absolutely loathe those things.  The less I HAVE to look at it, the better.  My phone is my alarm clock, though, so I guess it does serve a real purpose.

I do not own a "timepiece", though I do love looking at them.  I really do need one for the occasions I get all fancy.  Which, admittedly, is not too often.  Someday in the future I want an orange face Doxa dive watch just to put up on the shelf...

Brickhouse said:
I like'em, but don't "need them".

Got an IWC Portuguese, Breitling Colt, and Bell and Ross WW1.
Yep, I would say you like'em. That's a really nice trio :thumbs:

Not A Nice Person said:
.....I've worn an assortment of Swiss Army watches over the years---I miss the Cavalry model, that was a neat watch---because they're affordable, but have solid stainless steel cases.....

~Boar

I have a Cavalry. Jeweler changed the battery and messed it up.  It's probably stuffed in one of my drawers. Lil sis gave it to me. I really loved it. Just a sort of elegant simplicity. I've never had much luck with any watch, surviving a battery change, regardless of it being me, a jeweler, etc. doing the work.  

Although I could use my phone to tell time, it's not as convenient or functional as my watch, and I don't really like to be that tied to my phone.  I have a self-winding timepiece that I wear every day, so batteries aren't an issue.   

It's funny, though, I went through most of my college years without any type of clock -- that was long before cell phones and I didn't wear a watch back then.  Somehow I managed to graduate without having instant access to the time of day. 

Since I purchased a Samsung Gear Live smartwatch I will never have an "analogue" watch again. It really is a device that helps me be more efficient.

I like watches. Always have even as a kid when my parents gave me a Mickey Mouse watch. And there are times when I just don't want to carry my phone. 

I like the look of a watch but I haven't worn won in years. Clocks seem to be everywhere so I can't justify the need for a watch. I almost made an impulse buy a few years ago on a watch that had the gears exposed through the face. I don't remember what the make or model was but the price was 2k-ish.

I have a Tissot Sea Touch.  It's a cool watch.  Judges around here seem to HATE when lawyers look at their phones in courtrooms.  They consider it rude...probably because they don't know if you're sending a text or some other kind of thing.  And heaven forbid that a lawyer pulls out his cell phone to check the time while a panel of jurors is looking.  The impression that leaves is a bad one.  Many of the judges have outright banned phones from being brought into the courtrooms.  One courthouse here won't even let phones be brought through the entrance. 

Sure, some courtrooms have clocks that actually work but that stopwatch feature really helps us lawyers accurately bill a client for each and every fraction of a precious second of time spent arguing cases!!!  So, yeah, I wear a watch and I pretty well need to wear it every day.

MadMonk said:

.....I've worn an assortment of Swiss Army watches over the years---I miss the Cavalry model, that was a neat watch---because they're affordable, but have solid stainless steel cases.....

~Boar

I have a Cavalry. Jeweler changed the battery and messed it up.  It's probably stuffed in one of my drawers. Lil sis gave it to me. I really loved it. Just a sort of elegant simplicity. I've never had much luck with any watch, surviving a battery change, regardless of it being me, a jeweler, etc. doing the work.  

I received a very nice Swiss Army field watch for my 15 years of service with my company.   I wear it everyday.   I've worn watches for years, and I plan to continue.   I like to glance at them for time, and I think a nice timepiece gives a man a timeless look about them.

I had a Swiss Army watch.  It was only $99.00, but at 19 years old and freshly married, it was my first "expensive" watch and was a birthday gift from my wife.  I got the band caught on something and it ripped the pin right through the case.  I never tried to return it under warranty or anything.  I actually still have it.  Anyone know if it is a lifetime warranty like a Zippo?

I like the Gshock watches as well and even the Ironman watches, both are fairly cheap when compared to other watches.

I wear a watch every day.  I look at it for the time, as I don't like having to pull my phone out of my pocket to see what time it is.  I have 4 watches in my rotation, nothing real fancy.  An all black Lacoste, a rose gold Invicta, a white faced Invicta with blue hands, and a white faced Callaway watch.

Not A Nice Person said:

One day I plan on owning an older Omega SeaMaster with the blue wavy dial

That's my dream watch, too.  Both Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig have worn that one as "Bond, James Bond."  Plus it's just beautiful.

I've worn an assortment of Swiss Army watches over the years---I miss the Cavalry model, that was a neat watch---because they're affordable, but have solid stainless steel cases and the plated metals on cheaper watches tend to dissolve off my wrist.  Apparently I sweat battery acid.  Haven't worn a watch for awhile, though.  Cell phone, computer, big digital classroom clock, yada yada yada.

~Boar

I lusted over that watch for years until about 4 years ago, I got a nice bonus at work and finally bought it (Seamaster 2220-80).  Now its my daily driver and, I still love it.  Classic looks and built like a tank.  

I would say a watch is probably redundant. However, it is much easier to glance at my wrist than to dig my cell phone out of my pocket.  For me its easier and I will probably always wear one.  

I feel naked without my watch. Even though I have a phone and check the time on it constantly. My watch is just a part of what I wear everyday. Been doing it since I got my first. Which was one with the calculator on it. Haha! Boy was that a long time ago.

Watch guy here and feel naked without one. In the service trade and always looking at my watch for my next appointment. I'm also in a lot of meetings throughout the week and don't want to be rude and pull out my phone to check the time. My everyday work watch is a Tag with a rubber strap as I can't stand leather straps. I have quite a few different watches but hoping the wife gets me the nice Breitling that I've been eyeing for my birthday or Christmas. Maybe she'll read this.  ;)

I wear a watch when I travel. My wife gave me a Rolex Deepsea a couple years ago, but I still have the habit of using my phone for the time

I have a Breitling I wear every day, but in truth, I don't really need it. In court I can't pull out my phone to check the time, so that's pretty much the only time I actually rely on my watch.

I too wear a watch every day.  My daily wear is a Rolex Datejust SS.  I also have a Tag 6000 two-tone, a Tissot, a Casio G-Shock, an Omega, and a couple others.

Getting to be a fashion statement and not a need.  We haven't needed ties for 300 years and still haven't managed to get rid of them yet.

I used to carry one of these:
rrshow07_watch2.jpg
 n

However, they need yearly maintenence, which can cost $300 to $500 dollars a year. That got a little ridiculous for an affectation. Since I retired, I find knowing what time it is, isn't all that important. 

Doc