• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Water Pillows"

cuppajack

I've currently got a pair of the "water pillows," as seen on www.cigar.com, working in my desktop humi.

Are these things allright to trust my stash to?

I've never had much luck with the oasis/pucks, but the pillows see to be keeping things a little wet.

Any thoughts?

I have a pair of water pillow too, but I do not go about bragging about it. Bad form. Some of us members might only have one water pillow. Geez!

I've used water pillows in my Travel humidor, but I'd suggest you look into Heatfelt humidifaction beads for taking care of your stash. I highly recommend and don't think you can beat the price.

I use water pillows to make rapid adjustments in humidity like when a new box goes into a cooler. These are also used as insect watering devices, cricket licks.

Wilkey

Water pillows, like crystals (dry-mistats), only emit water (vapor) but don't regulate it like beads do. They're fine to put in your stash - so long as you understand that. I use them to ship sticks or in a tupperdor when I'm on a trip.

Water pillows, if they are the kind I get at the pet store, are filled with crosslinked superabsorbent gel. Same stuff in diapers and feminine pads. This material will sorb water when immersed in it but will readily release it to the atmosphere in the form of vapor. For all intents and purposes, they do not absorb moisture from the air.

Beads and crystal kitty litter are both buffered silica and absorb and desorb moisture (albeit a modest quantity) in response to changes in the environment.

Wilkey

I have a few pillows around for shipping purposes, or to make a fine adjustment to my RH, but I don't use them soley as a humidification source.

Wow, water pillows takes my mind to a whole 'nother place...
:whistling:

N2

I am with Wilkey on this. Setting up a humidor, or making adjustments to a humi. I would not use these as my sole source. You will find your cigar over humidified, split, or even moldy.

-E

Can these things be re-used? I just received a package with some singles and one of these was in it.

Can these things be re-used? I just received a package with some singles and one of these was in it.

Of course they can be re-used. All you have to do is hold them in distilled water for 15 sec and put it back in its protective plastic glove.

So long as you're ok that the person who sent it to you didn't have anything communicable. I keep one in my traveldor that I got from Wurm (I sterilized it, Bitch :p ).

I just wanted to top this and add that I'm giving a few water pillows a trial run as humidification in a pass. They're cheap and nice and small. I inserted two into each tuppordor that the pass is travelling in. And if they start to lose moisture prematurely, all I need to do is have someone dip them in Distilled water and we're back in business.

We'll see how they work. I contemplated using beads in a tube, or a humidipuck, but both of those options were considerably more expensive than these pillow.

I just want to give you guys a headsup about a potential problem with the water pillows.

I have one that I've kept in my wetbox as a short term humidification device. I went and checked on it a few days ago and smelled an unfresh odor. I traced it to something that looked like mold or bacterial growth inside the pillow. Now, I have handled the pillow and do not take pains to keep it sterile and so I suspect it just picked something up and it started to grow.

As a result, I don't think I can recommend water pillows for extended use and certainly not for reuse. Exposure to the environmnent and fingers and stuff seems to be enough to allow bugs to hop into the gel medium and start snacking.

I think they are fine for one time use traveling with a pass or for temporary adjustments but I would not let them dry out and then try to rehydrate them.

BTW, my wetbox is a tight-sealing tupper where I store Boveda packs, Fuente humi packs and PG solution tubs. I take them out as needed. I think everything else is ok and that the odor was confined to the pillow which I have now trashed.

Wilkey

BTW, my wetbox is a tight-sealing tupper where I store Boveda packs, Fuente humi packs and PG solution tubs. I take them out as needed. I think everything else is ok and that the odor was confined to the pillow which I have now trashed.

Wilkey
[/quote]

Glad you explained that, :laugh:

I got to thinking about a "wetbox" and began to wonder....

Had to jump on that one...

A wet box and water pillows... sounds like the girls I hang out with on vacation. :sign: :laugh: