• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wax paper in humidor !

mementomori

Hello everyone ! I would like to ask for some help . Few months ago i used some wax paper that came originally from cigar boxes to divide diffrent brands of cigars in the same humi . I haven't smoke any cigars from that humidor for several months . I do own 4 more humidors but cigars there are divided with cedar sticks . I ran out of them so i used wax paper in only one humidor. The point is when i first tried my psp2 from that humidor where wax was used it had bitter and flat taste. I thought that maybe it was just one bad stick . After trying several others like siglo 4 , coh robusto , psd 4 and partagas 898 i knew that something is wrong , all of them had same bitter flat taste . They used to be really good before i put wax paper in it , so my question is : did anybody ever made the same mistake ? Is it really because of the wax paper used inside the humidor or maybe they just go through " sick time "? Is it possible for wax paper to chemically transfer some acidic flavors to cigars ? I know it's a lot of questions , please help me. I got ride of wax paper and use some cedar wood now , i just hope my gars will come back to their senses with time . Best regards guys .

1) Are all the cigars the same age? Meaning could they all be in a similar sick period.
2) Cigars have been stored for years with cedar and paper in them....so I don't really see a problem.

If you're talking about the thin, shiny paper that comes with Habanos cabs and such, then it's not wax paper. It is glassine, a pretty innocuous paper. As grateful1 stated, it has been used for years and even cigars that have spent 30+ years against it taste just fine.

Something else is the matter as it's almost certainly not the glassine.

Wilkey

BTW, do you mean to say you used the glassine or that you actually used wax paper from a roll as would be used in the kitchen?

I missed part of your question.....as far as 'transfer'. Some say cigar will 'marry' and blend together. From my understanding, this would have to happen over a VERY long period of time.

Another quesion for you: what type of humidity device are you using?
If it's bad/moldy - that could be the answer.

If you're talking about the thin, shiny paper that comes with Habanos cabs and such, then it's not wax paper. It is glassine, a pretty innocuous paper. As grateful1 stated, it has been used for years and even cigars that have spent 30+ years against it taste just fine.

Something else is the matter as it's almost certainly not the glassine.

Wilkey

BTW, do you mean to say you used the glassine or that you actually used wax paper from a roll as would be used in the kitchen?

Yes sir , it is glassine then not the actual wax paper . I just did not know the proper name . All cigars are diffrent ages but all way over 1 year in this humi . I used oasis xl as humidification device , this humidor is huge . The oasis is over 2 years old . I also use batteries to power this unit . Last time i exchanged batteries there was some water on them , i don't know if that could hurt the humidor ambience , i don't think there was any battery acid leaking but you never know.

You're probably using alkaline cells. There is no acid in them. Have you checked the insides of your XL unit for mold or mildew?

"Bitter" is not a description I usually associate with the sick period. "Flat" or "muted" are. It seems to me like there could be a number of things going on. For example, have you recently started taking any decongestants, antibiotics, or cortisone/prednisone?

It's highly unlikely that the glassine is doing anything to your cigars. It's more likely that your sticks are badly overhumidified. Does the glassine feel cold or damp?

Wilkey

I was wondering if they were overhumidified as well.

And, since wax paper was mentioned, does anybody think this is acceptable?
Does Pepin wrap some of his cigars in Wax Paper? That's what it looks like.

Yes,

Tat's in cab come in wax paper IIRC. I wouldn't worry about some waxed paper next to my cigars. Paraffin is pretty innocuous...considering some manufacturers apply food-grade mineral oil to their cigars in an effort to make them look "oily."

Wilkey

You're probably using alkaline cells. There is no acid in them. Have you checked the insides of your XL unit for mold or mildew?

"Bitter" is not a description I usually associate with the sick period. "Flat" or "muted" are. It seems to me like there could be a number of things going on. For example, have you recently started taking any decongestants, antibiotics, or cortisone/prednisone?

It's highly unlikely that the glassine is doing anything to your cigars. It's more likely that your sticks are badly overhumidified. Does the glassine feel cold or damp?

Wilkey

My humidor is not overhumidified , it keeps constatnt 64-67 RH . I just removed the inside of oasis xl and the water in it was kind of dirty looking so maybe that's the problem . I do take some allergie medications recently but all my cigars from other humidors taste right , i don't think it's me . Maybe the bad looking water was the problem , if so do you guys think my cigars will come back to their original taste and what should i do now ? Please let me know , Thanks for responding .

if so do you guys think my cigars will come back to their original taste and what should i do now ? Please let me know ,
Well,

I don't think anybody really knows or knows for sure at this point. At least in my mind, it remains a bit of a puzzle, hence all the questions to try and get to the bottom of it. If in fact this is actually happening (meaning the cigars really do taste different and it's not due to a change in your physiology) then the cause(s) is still out there to be uncovered.

Wilkey

Amateurs.

This is the only way to go:

0001090006052_LG.jpg

MiamiCubano, You use Aluminum Foil?
I've considered it, but never really tried.

Doh!

What's the humidity level underneath that bikini bottom? ??? And should I care? :love: :D

Wilkey

Doh!

What's the humidity level underneath that bikini bottom? ??? And should I care? :love: :D

Wilkey

No, you shouldn't Wilkey. :laugh:

And, needless to say, it will.....refresh....even the most dried out of sticks in mere seconds.