• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wax paper in humidor !

Lol . Come on guys , i do have 911 situation here :) I'm talking about 300 damn cigars that all taste like fricking flavored Night Owl or some other Macanudo shit . I may try put all of them in my wife but i can't be sure if she will take them all , my neighbor though is pretty hot , i'm sure she will take the rest but is this really the final solution ? Maybe i put some milk chocolate , coffe beans and granny cookies in the bottom of the humi , hows that on adding flavor to my cigars :thumbs: Well i just had trinnie fundi out of this humidor and had to put it away after a half , i'm not trying any other cigar out of this humidor for next 6 months .

Hey,

You think advice at CP is free? Now post some pictures of jugs and we'll get back on the case.

But seriously...pictures of jugs.

Really seriously, I haven't a clue. Do you have a cat? Maybe your cat did the wee in or around your humi? Based on what we know so far, what you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Pieces of the puzzle are missing.

Wilkey

Get one of your cigar smoking buddies to smoke one that they would be familiar with, and see if they taste the funk as well.
Another thing, when is the last time you calibrated your Hygrometer?
Are the cigars spongy or nicely resiliant? Are they smoking hot, or with any other burn issues?

Isn't JUGS pixs against the rules :rolleyes: ???? I got 2 Western Caliber hygrometers , they both show around 65 RH . They have never been calibrated but i thought you not suppose to calibrate electronic devices . The distilled water in the oasis was really bad looking and kind of smelling , i haven't change it for a long time , it always seemed like there was enough water in it , maybe that was the main problem .

Isn't JUGS pixs against the rules :rolleyes: ???? I got 2 Western Caliber hygrometers , they both show around 65 RH . They have never been calibrated but i thought you not suppose to calibrate electronic devices . The distilled water in the oasis was really bad looking and kind of smelling , i haven't change it for a long time , it always seemed like there was enough water in it , maybe that was the main problem .

You do need to calibrate the hygrometers. Do a search for salt test.

It sounds like they are too humid. Perhaps the bad water may also be affecting them. Change out the water and the foam and calibrate your hygrometers.

I do know that the last Western Hygrometer that I bought had in the instructions to NOT do a salt test. If they are under warranty, you may want to use discretion, or get the humidipak.
I also wonder if you can use any humidipak at 69% or whatever. If the hygrometer reads 69 with a 69 boveda, I wonder if that is perfectly fine.
Your water sounds suspicious. But even if that is the culprit, for 300 cigars, I'd want to know that my hygrometer was fine if I didnt trust my ability to gauge by pinching or smoking.

edit to add

I do know that the last Western Hygrometer that I bought had in the instructions to NOT do a salt test. If they are under warranty, you may want to use discretion, or get the humidipak.
I also wonder if you can use any humidipak at 69% or whatever. If the hygrometer reads 69 with a 69 boveda, I wonder if that is perfectly fine.
Your water sounds suspicious. But even if that is the culprit, for 300 cigars, I'd want to know that my hygrometer was fine if I didnt trust my ability to gauge by pinching or smoking.

edit to add

MadMonk brings up a good point. I've read somewhere that getting any of the salt/water combo on the sensors of the hygro. will ruin it. I personally use the boveda packs, I just like not worrying about having to find a perfectly level surface that won't be disturbed for awhile.

Boveda sells calibration packs that are just baggies with a 75.5% boveda pack in them. My understanding is any boveda pack should do though.

Get one of your cigar smoking buddies to smoke one that they would be familiar with, and see if they taste the funk as well.
Another thing, when is the last time you calibrated your Hygrometer?
Are the cigars spongy or nicely resiliant? Are they smoking hot, or with any other burn issues?
Excellent advice!

The distilled water in the oasis was really bad looking and kind of smelling , i haven't change it for a long time , it always seemed like there was enough water in it , maybe that was the main problem .
This does not sound good at all.

MadMonk brings up a good point. I've read somewhere that getting any of the salt/water combo on the sensors of the hygro. will ruin it. I personally use the boveda packs, I just like not worrying about having to find a perfectly level surface that won't be disturbed for awhile.

Boveda sells calibration packs that are just baggies with a 75.5% boveda pack in them. My understanding is any boveda pack should do though.
There is no reason at all, chemical or mechanical that I can conceive of that contraindicates a salt test for digital hygrometers. None at all. The salt is not volatile and all it does is regulate the vapor pressure of the water in relation to the wet salt solution. And besides, what do you think is inside a Boveda pack? That's right, saturated salt solution. What do you think is inside the Humipacks that Fuente puts in their boxes? Yup. Saturated salt solution. If you take a dried out old Fuente pack and cut it open, you'll see the salt that has dropped out of solution due to evaporation of the water (the process which provides humidity in the box/humi).

Wilkey

Well, to add to what Wilkey said, I work in the high tech defense industry. I asked a few of our brightest engineers and they assured me, with no doubt at all that the salt test would be perfectly safe. The reason I bring up my work is that we sometimes have to deal with salt water environments, so these guys are very astute.

The reason I bring up the Western warning is that if the Hygrometer is bad, and you mention you did a salt test, kiss a replacement goodbye. Hmmm could it be they don't want you to know that there stuff doesnt work right? Nah...I'm getting old and cynical :blush:

edit for spelling

2 things...

1) Sounds like you have bad water
2) You don't have to do a salt test to calibrate.

I've posted it before - wrap a hygro in a damp paper towel and seal in a plastic bag(use distilled water).

In 15 minutes it will read over 70% - 1/2 to 1 hour it will get up to 90+%.....at an hour or more it will be 98%....if it's more, the device is bad.

Let me know if I am incorrect.

Thanks to all for advices . Well i decided to take the easiest way and took all my western calibers and 2 analogs and put them all together in that humi . 6 western calibers all read between 65 and 67 and the 2 analogs show around 68 so i guess 8 hygrometers cannot be wrong but who knows since even billions Chinese people can . I got rid of the Oasis since the foam is probably less than in excellent condition . I think it was the water , because i did not change it for a long time and it was really dirty looking when i removed the foam , humidity must be ok . I guess i'm going to have to dry the Oasis foam out and use it again in the future .

6 western calibers all read between 65 and 67 and the 2 analogs show around 68 so i guess 8 hygrometers cannot be wrong but who knows since even billions Chinese people can.
Based on past incidents, you'll want to think a bit more before making ambiguous statements that could be construed to contain a racial slur or express a prejudice.

I'm Chinese as are a few other members both old and new and I have no idea what you're referring to. I'm not angry, just scratching my head.

Wilkey

Other than also scratching my head over your statement...

Oasis Foam = Evil I've seen it moldy in more humidors than I care to mention. Thats why I ordered Viper's beads at the same time I ordered my Humidor and haven't looked back. Get rid of that nasty shit.

Thanks to all for advices . Well i decided to take the easiest way and took all my western calibers and 2 analogs and put them all together in that humi . 6 western calibers all read between 65 and 67 and the 2 analogs show around 68 so i guess 8 hygrometers cannot be wrong but who knows since even billions Chinese people can . I got rid of the Oasis since the foam is probably less than in excellent condition . I think it was the water , because i did not change it for a long time and it was really dirty looking when i removed the foam , humidity must be ok . I guess i'm going to have to dry the Oasis foam out and use it again in the future .

I did not mean to offend Chinese people . My best friend is Chinese and this is always his saying " even bilions Chinese can be wrong". I think he refers to believing in communism but from my personal experience ( i'm from ex-communistic country originally ) people living in communist ruled countries don't have much choice and usually know that communism is bullshit . I have to look into the beads instead distilled water , any guys out there already switched from water to beads ? That might be good new thread .