• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Websters

sibernation

Our school looked at a few of the new "coligete dictionary " by Webster. Most comonly used, and :0 dont want to say how the word was found :lookup: . But CUNT is now a word in Websters. :( This is the standard version that high school and universty students use.

Sorry for th spelling . I just had a hard time beliving that i have to pay for a bok with this in t, for my son ???

Are you saying that a high school or college student doesn't know what this is already? Or that he shouldn't be allowed to find out? I hope you don't have any old George Carlin comedy records laying around.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! I always wondered what that word meant? :p

Man, that's why the women in the bars were smacking me.

That's not what I thought it meant.

:sign:

Given that you have to have heard the word before you can look it up in the dictionary, I can't say I'm terribly concerned. The odds of stumbling upon it by accident are rather slim, I'd think. Even if you turn to the page it is on, if you haven't heard the word before, it isn't going to catch your eye any more than the other words on the page.

The power a word has is only what you give it. In England, "cunt" is used fairly often as a mild curse, such as "you silly cunt" instead of "you silly wench." We object to it here because of the cultural stigma associated with it.

So what was the definition? I'm still trying to figure out what it means! :p

sibernation said:
Sorry for th spelling . I just had a hard time beliving that i have to pay for a bok with this in t, for my son ???
For your Son?

Ed! Your Son can't read yet! ??? He's 4.

Now wait a minute SD, just 'cause you and I couldn't read until we were 12 does not mean a four year old cannot read :D

Hey Siber,

Uh, he's gonna learn how to curse before he starts working on high school, that's a fact. Doing it is something different.

Also, if you have access to the internet, all you need is dictionary.reference.com to solve all your problems. No big dictionary to spill soda on. Of course, if you need to weigh down something you've glued you're out of luck. My dictionaries got pitched long ago. Sort of like the encyclopedia collections. If you have net access, no need to drop all that cash on stuff that's free.

The importance is sometimes created by the ignorance. Perhaps if the public were a little less sensitive through exposure then perhaps words would be so damn important. Don't get me wrong there are cultural meanings to different words in different countries but if we all experience the fullest meanings of our language then perhaps some indignant remarks and slurs could be avoided or simply not as attractive.

By the way as you could tell from my typing I could use a frick'n dictionary! :p

AVB said:
Are you saying that a high school or college student doesn't know what this is already? Or that he shouldn't be allowed to find out? I hope you don't have any old George Carlin comedy records laying around.
Nope. But slang belongs in its place (the street) and English belongs in its place (school and reference material)

The true problem is that this shows our country has finally reached the state of perversion that allows what was once considered immoral, rude, offensive, or even downright nasty to be adopted as the norm.

Just because my elementary aged children have already heard this word (and others like it) being spoken at school by students, teachers, and other parents doesn't mean the use of the word(s) is proper, correct or right. And putting a word into the dictionary lends some credibility to its use and normalcy, therefore, readers are even further desensitized to the downward spiral of our society's core moral standards and our original founding principles.

Terrible in my book - and thankfully my book isn't labeled "Webster"

And this word specifically - once my quest to find its definition was finally over, you wouldn't believe how appalled I was at the fact that I was using this word and even applying it to girls. (Of course getting my butt kicked by a girl twice my size at the time helped to further those feelings ;) )

Muley said:
The true problem is that this shows our country has finally reached the state of perversion that allows what was once considered immoral, rude, offensive, or even downright nasty to be adopted as the norm.
::shrug:: every generation has thought that about the next, though. Society, norms, etc. are a continually changing thing. Think about some of the things that were totally unacceptable and "perverted, immoral, and rude" just 100 years ago: women voting, interracial marriage, divorce, etc.

Moki, my brother, I think you just helped to make Muley's point more clear ???

PuroBrat said:
Moki, my brother, I think you just helped to make Muley's point more clear ???
Well, I consider it a good thing that women can vote, that you can marry any person of any race you choose, and that you can get out of an unhappy marriage (though I do think people enter into marriage a bit too lightly these days, resulting in the spate of divorces) -- I think all of these things are positive.

moki said:
Muley said:
::shrug:: every generation has thought that about the next, though. Society, norms, etc. are a continually changing thing. Think about some of the things that were totally unacceptable and "perverted, immoral, and rude" just 100 years ago: women voting, interracial marriage, divorce, etc.
agreed.

But most of those you mentioned were changes for the better (and the majority of society agrees that they're better). Women voting and people of various ethnic backgrounds marrying isn't designed to hurt anyone or belittle something whereas if a woman is called a "Cunt" it's usually meant as a verbal attack or referring to something as a "Cunt" is usually meant to belittle or degrade the thing. Key word being USUALLY. But I do agree with the whole change point you made.

In the end, it has all been foretold anyway, and it doesn't really surprise me :D